• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newcastle girl with some questions

charlie_pops

hello all, my doctor has referred me to the level 3 weightloss programme in newcastle,ive read its an 8 week long course and could lead into surgery ( fingers crossed) i was wondering what id be doing there and whats it like in the northeast as ive read that parts of the country are different to get an op.

i went to the level 1 weightloss thing years ago and it didnt help me at all, the woman even put my weight and height down wrong :(

pops x

hey charlie, welcome to the site :) yes you heard right, its different all over, im sure someone will be along soon who can help you, good luck :) xxx

Hi Charlie is it whyweight I done it at Byker. The people their are lovely they just go through what you should and shouldn't be eating, then do some exercise. You have to attend every week and loose a little weight (but make sure your bmi doesn't go under 40). Then you can be refered to surgeon either Sunderland or Rakelane. There are people here at either. Waiting list is shorter at Rakelane but both are great hospitals. I have had a very easy ride at Rakelane, I had group seminar in feb-mar and have got a date for 4th jan. Welcome to this site everyone here is lovely and any questions just ask :) x x x

im not sure where im going, just signed the letter to say go ahead with the weightloss level 3 thing, there going to send me an appointment. my bmi is 42 at the min and ive lost a stone since march and kept it off, im tall, thats the only thing im worried about there gonna say no because of my height :(

Where do you live in Newcastle as this is a factor of where your sent to x don't worry just try and lose a pound a week and you should be fine, just don't go under a bmi of 40 for your seminar and you will be well on your way x

Charlie,

Just remember that, even though you're tall, your BMI is calculated using it as well as your weight so, you may not necessarily look as if you are the weight you are but your BMI falls into the NICE guidelines for surgery.

As others have said, try not to lose yoo much weight before your seminar so you remain within the critera for surgical intervention until you're on the journey proper - and then your weight loss will show your committment to the process!

Good luck,

Tatiana

im not sure where im going, just signed the letter to say go ahead with the weightloss level 3 thing, there going to send me an appointment. my bmi is 42 at the min and ive lost a stone since march and kept it off, im tall, thats the only thing im worried about there gonna say no because of my height :(

Thats what worriesd me, im tall too, and my doctor wont refer me he keep saying oh you carry it well!! I dont

minxtress said:
Thats what worriesd me, im tall too, and my doctor wont refer me he keep saying oh you carry it well!! I dont

Minxtress,
I will say the say to you - bmi takes into account your height so how tall you are in retaion to bmi is irrelevent as it's already been taken into consideration.

If you fulfil the criteria for wlsurgery that your PCT sets down then ask another gp at the practice to refer you as you no longer feel you can do it alone!

Good luck,

Tatiana

Minxtress,
I will say the say to you - bmi takes into account your height so how tall you are in retaion to bmi is irrelevent as it's already been taken into consideration.

If you fulfil the criteria for wlsurgery that your PCT sets down then ask another gp at the practice to refer you as you no longer feel you can do it alone!

Good luck,

Tatiana

I have made another appointment at my GPs in the hope of someone referring me. My BMI is 45 and it is driving me mad that no one is helping me.
I can lose weight no problem, I cant keep it off though. Can I demand a referral or is it at doctors discretion??

If you fit the PCT's criteria for wls - have you checked?- I think they have to have a very good clinical reason for not making a referral (and their personal prejudice doesn't allow them to refuse!) if you do meet the criteria.

Do you have any co-morbidities which would strengthen your case especially if your PCT have a high BMI qualifying point.

Good luck at the GPs, is it the same dr you're seeing? If so, why not ask why he won't refer you, if not perhaps you'll find a more sympathetic soul!

Tatiana

Hi minxtress where are you from? as you will be able to see what your nice guidelines are and if you fit them, also funding isn't so straight forward, in north east funding is not an issue as long as you fit nice criteria. Every area is different x

Hi Suzie
Im from South Shields, where will I find out the guidelines for my PCT?

Hi I'm sure you would be referred to Sunderland for op and I'm sure it's a bmi of 40 or over (liz and loads more people on the Sunderland threads will be able to confirm this) or ask to be transferred to rakelane as it def is bmi of 40 as I had a bmi of 42. But as long as you have done weight management and tried orlistat your fine it's just your doc being an arse. X

From memory the BMI criteria for Nice Guidelines when I looked were:

BMI >35 with co-morbidities but must have tried other methods first
BMI >40 with no co-morbidities but must have tried other methods first
BMI >50 WLSurgery should be considered as first intervention

I am sure that our PCT use the same criteria as NICE ;) x x

In which case it would appear that, so long as minxtress can show she fulfils the weight management and drug treatment criteria, she should be able to at least be referred for funding consideration and treatment with wls!

Tatiana

I signed my consent for today at the docs. Do I have to do the course and then see about funding or should I be doing that now? I don't have co- morbidites but diabetes runs in my family there all injecting and kidney failure is in my family. I've tried orlistat too

Brilliant it all seems to reaffirm what I already thought so I will be going to my doctors on Monday armed with new information.
WATCH THIS SPACE!

Good luck everyone :) as for funding we don't have to apply, when the doctor writes to surgeon you will be invited to a seminar then you no you have funding in place. It's so different in north east as long as you meet the criteria shown and have been to weight management, tried orlistat there is no reason you should not be referred and funding in place. The things that could go wrong after funding given is where you put on weight as Sunderland are very strict (once at seminar do not put on weight, you will later be given a weight loss target at one of you app which has to be met and maintained). Also if you see phycologyst and they think you need extra help dealing with food issues could delay or possible not be given surgery. But don't worry as most have a smooth ride we seem to have it very easy up hear compared to some. Good luck with the start of your journeys there are some good threads about Sunderland, waiting times , appointments , other peoples journeys and while waiting do as much research as possible as this site is invaluable x

Sorry Charlie I forgot to mention when finished course just ask GP to refer you to sunderland but make sure you loose some weight at course but don't let your bmi go under 40 :) and liz does a great meet up once month I'm sure someone from Sunderland will be along to tell you what date it's on. It's for both pre and post op to have a chat about everything and meet new friends :) x x x

Back