• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

newcomer

weightnomore

Hi
I am new to this site, had gastric bypass performed by Mr El-Hasani on 19th April 2012, found the pre-op diet a bit difficult but lost a stone in the two weeks so all good, have lost a further stone after op, but the meds i have been given are not going to well, they make me feel sick and i am in pain, is this normal? living on soup and fruit juice at the moment. does any one know if i can have custard or ice cream on the post op diet.

Hi & welcome :) What meds are you on that are causing you problems? I would avoid both custard & ice cream as they could cause you to dump & you don't want to risk that so early on. :wave_cry: Were you diabetic pre op? People who were diabetic pre op don't usually dump but non diabetics tend to.:wave_cry: This is not a hard & fast rule but something we have discovered over time. Milky coffees & protein shakes will give you a bit of variety whilst still keeping your protein intake up. It will soon be over ... not as bad as the pre op & well worth it :):) xx

thanks for messaging back so quickly, yes i was diebetic type 2 before op, thats why the doctor advised me to have it, I am also on medication for high blood pressure and heart probs, the main problem I have is with the FORCEVAL capsule that I have to take in the morning, it is massive and gives me pain in the stomach after taking it, also do not tolerate the liquid supplements the hospital gave me, I am managing the injections ok, but feel in pain all the time

It seems a bit early for you to be on Forceval to me :confused: Usually the small AtoZ vitamins are used for the first few weeks due to the size of Forceval. I started on them at 6 weeks post op. Are you liquid Metformin & Lansopralol? These are known to cause sickness post op too. I had to come off them at 2 weeks due to constant nausea :wave_cry: I would give your bariatric team a ring to check what can be done to sort your meds out, honey. :) xxx

Hi
I am new to this site, had gastric bypass performed by Mr El-Hasani on 19th April 2012, found the pre-op diet a bit difficult but lost a stone in the two weeks so all good, have lost a further stone after op, but the meds i have been given are not going to well, they make me feel sick and i am in pain, is this normal? living on soup and fruit juice at the moment. does any one know if i can have custard or ice cream on the post op diet.
hi there,i just wanted to say hello.im sorry you are still in pain.im sure it will get better for you very soon.i dont have any advice to give you ,as i havent had my op yet.i have the same surgeon as you,im going in tomorrow and the op is thursday.did you have your op at the pruh or chelsfield?i completely know what you mean about the pre op diet,its very limited,and i also have found it hard.anway hope you are pain free soon,love nicky,x

weightnomore said:
Had my op at the pruh, I am feeling a lot better today thanks. Good luck with your surgery. X

I had my op at the pruh with mr el-hasani too & my forceval hurt my pouch in the first month or so it's so big considering how small your pouch is. Now I don't have any problems taking it. I really couldn't get on with the iron medicine it really made me feel ill so I change to a small pill. Do you take all your vitamins at the same time? I found if I space my out forceval in the morn, zinc, omperazole, iron & calcium in the evening then it's not so bad. the only thing I don't like is my chewable calcium just feels like I'm crunching chalk lol x x

fatnomoreclo said:
I had my op at the pruh with mr el-hasani too & my forceval hurt my pouch in the first month or so it's so big considering how small your pouch is. Now I don't have any problems taking it. I really couldn't get on with the iron medicine it really made me feel ill so I change to a small pill. Do you take all your vitamins at the same time? I found if I space my out forceval in the morn, zinc, omperazole, iron & calcium in the evening then it's not so bad. the only thing I don't like is my chewable calcium just feels like I'm crunching chalk lol x x

Hi I have spoken to a few people I have been waiting since march 2011 and a few people I sort of know have had it done some have been put on iron medicine and some haven't is there a reason or does everyone under mr el hasani go on it?
How long before your op did you find out and did they ring you or write to you?
Last one lol, :) the liver shrinkage diet do they tell you how much weight to lose on your pre-op diet, Or do you just diet and hope it's enough?

Thanks Alison

I got put on the list in August 2010 & was told 2 year waiting list. I called Mr El-Hasani's secretary in September 2011 & was told I was number 17. 3 weeks later I got a call to say my bypass would be on the 20th December 2011 the I received a letter confirming this. I'm guessing all Mr El-Hasani's people have the iron medicine after, i didnt like it so asked my GP for a pill form x x

Oh yea & they never told me how much to lose on the pre-op diet. I lost a stone & a half in the 2 weeks, as long as you follow it your liver will shrink & you'll be good to go x x

Hi Weightnomore, are you swallowing the capsule whole ?!!!. you are supposed to cut the end off and squeeze the inside out onto a spoon ( or straight into your mouth as I did )

Kate xx

kitkatkate said:
Hi Weightnomore, are you swallowing the capsule whole ?!!!. you are supposed to cut the end off and squeeze the inside out onto a spoon ( or straight into your mouth as I did )

Kate xx

I was told never to brake capsules. Must swallow whole that's what my team say x

I had my op with El-Hasani on 21st and was advised to cut the capsule and squeeze out the contence and then take it. It does taste nasty but I put it on the end of a spoon, wipe it on the tip of my tongue and then swallow with something like slimfast, and you hardly taste it

Good luck

Kim x

Kizzy70 said:
I had my op with El-Hasani on 21st and was advised to cut the capsule and squeeze out the contence and then take it. It does taste nasty but I put it on the end of a spoon, wipe it on the tip of my tongue and then swallow with something like slimfast, and you hardly taste it

Good luck

Kim x

Oh really Kim, I was told not too maybe theyve changed it x x

You need to break the capsules until 3 months post op , I can swallow mine whole now but weightnomore if your not sure give Sheila a ring at Chelsfield

Kate x

Last edited:
I waas told to take the capsules whole and not break them open, cant tolerate them so have bought some small multivitimans from pharmacy, will take them till I have a check up in a couple of weeks.

Back