• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newly bypassed

kelly Burndred

I all, I am 4 days post bypass op. Finding it tough! Thirsty but struggling to get fluids down, feeling hungry and craving food but feel sick of a few sips of water. Regretting having it done. Is this normal?

Hi what your feeling is more than normal. Take it easy it's not a rush, you've had major surgery you are going to feel crap the hormones will creep in and you will feel weepy fed up and why why why have I done this. I can say I felt like that and many others will tell you the same so it is very normal but the good news is you will get over it. You will start to see results in a few weeks if not weight loss than inches then the weight will drop. Make sure you measure yourself now so you can see the difference. Sip fluids slowly but regularly follow all the stages but don't panic. We are all here to help so just shout out if you need some advice. I had my op in October last year and I'm only just agreeing with myself it was the right thing to do and I had a rough ride at the beginning and I've had some hairy dumping days one quite recently but I'm ok and loosing weight slowly. )just keep at it like I said slowly it's not a race, it's took years to put it on its not a magic wand so don't be inpatient it will happen :)

Awww Kelly, it's completely normal and still early days. Your body's been through quite a trauma and it takes time to recover. The first few weeks are the worst, I cried - a lot!! And regretted it - a lot!!! It's an emotional rollercoaster but hang in there, it really does get better.
I'm now 19 weeks out and feel great, a smidge off 5stone loss in total and don't regret a thing. You'll be ok hun, be kind to yourself and give yourself time to recover x

Hi kelly
As Mouse and Su2ie say, this is more then normal.
It really does get better, I would say on the 2 month mark.
liquid stage I found ok, but the sloppie stage was yuk I couldnt get on with it.
But now just over 3 month out, I feel great and now think it's the best thing I have ever done, and wished I had done it like a lot of people on here earlier.

Wishing you all the best with your journey, keep on this forum, because there is a lot of people that can help you.
It's a great support group.

Same here, I am 2 weeks out. It will get easier.

I found hot drinks easier to take, try that too.

I'm much happier with hot everything, drinks and food problem I have is getting it in quick enough while it's hot. Because of the time it take to eat or drink everything goes cold. But it's a small price to pay.

I understand that what your currently experiencing is normal, but I have to say for me I didnt have any feelings like that, in fact I skipped to the operation room to the surprise of the surgical team then told them to crack on and do me! When I woke up if it wasnt for the plasters on my wounds I would have thought the op didnt happen !
Like others have said its very early days and belive me when I say it does get better and easier
all the very best

Thank you all so much, it feels like a weight has been lifted!!! Thought I was going mad and I was the only one, no one around me really understands, they keep saying, but you were so desperate to have it done so don't regret it now, what no one understands is I didn't eat or crave food just when I was hungry, I craved food 24/7 so now I am still craving but can't even get water down!! Sometimes it messes with my head so much!!! Thank you all for your kind words!!! X

I understand that what your currently experiencing is normal, but I have to say for me I didnt have any feelings like that, in fact I skipped to the operation room to the surprise of the surgical team then told them to crack on and do me! When I woke up if it wasnt for the plasters on my wounds I would have thought the op didnt happen !
Like others have said its very early days and belive me when I say it does get better and easier
all the very best

I am so lucky to have had the same experience as you, the only pain I had was when I kept catching and banging the cannula in the back of my hand!!

I'm sure you will go from strength to strength its still very early days, keep sipping xx

im so glad to read your experience butterfly ,I was beginning to think it was only me ,especially after reading the many stories of people having a hard time of it I just wish others could have had the same as us also like you the only pain I had was the needle in my hand and a bad back trying to get comfy in the hospital bed!

Goodluck and get plenty of tlc :)

Back