• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS - 18 Week Target

I don't think anyone has. I understood the target applies to the wait from referral to your first appointment at hospital. Because once you have your first appt, your 'receiving treatment'.

18 weeks?! as if. 2 years for me. I didn't mind tbh as I knew i was ready for it when the time came.

On the whole, its not a quick process. As Paula says the 18 week target is normally from referral to first appointment. However, my provider also aim for 18 weeks max on the waiting list. So for me, I waited 16 weeks for my first (and only) appointment, then 17 weeks for my op. That was after a year on weight management. I started my milk diet EXACTLY 2 years after I started my journey (when WLS recommended).

It depends on the hospital i went to a group meeting to give us information on what surgery was available within the 18 weeks from referral from doctor.. But was over 2 years until i had surgery. But that was a London Hospital, hopefully
you wont have to wait that long at yours.

Nicky x

I am curious to know those who had WLS on the NHS, was it done within the 18 week target?

If mine goes as planned it should be before 15th January 2014... What a way to start a New Year! :D

I'm in Manchester, and I'm told I need to languish in their terrible "Choose to Change" service for 6 months before I can even be considered...despite the doctor from the intake to the service saying I qualify and am suitable.

Do you know of a way to bypass this thing? I've only been to see their psychologist (at my request), and will soon be shoved into the group sessions which sound like a blend of weight watchers and exercise in the old person's home...:sigh:

Last edited:
Back