• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op And The 18 Week Rule

PinkyButtonz

I keep reading different things and was curious to know if anyone had their Op under the 18 Week Rule?

Hi didnt want to read and run. I have been waiting since being referred in January to Sunderland adn I ahve the group meeting on 10 June..........apparently surgery is normally 1 year later so defo not 18 week rule. I could be wrong but I don't think the 18 week rule applies to weight loss surgery

hi
i was told the 18 week rule is something dreamt up by government looking for good news (mr shaw summers) but with no more money avaiable its impossible
hope this helps

julie x

I was the consultant Mr Mannur about 7-8 weeks ago at the Homerton.

I was seeing the Bariatric Nurse for weight monitering until clinic was closed due to short staff. She told me it would be done this year, which I can live with. Just don't want to the one that is waiting 12-18 months.

Hi I had my op at the whittington and from the info giving session it took 8 months. Have they got funding arranged for yu and completed all teh tests they need to do before op? if all that has been done then maybe try giving the surgeons secretary a call let her know you are happy to take a cancellation although yoiu do need 2-3 weeks of liver shrinking diet first... Good luck !!!

Hi I had my op at the whittington and from the info giving session it took 8 months. Have they got funding arranged for yu and completed all teh tests they need to do before op? if all that has been done then maybe try giving the surgeons secretary a call let her know you are happy to take a cancellation although yoiu do need 2-3 weeks of liver shrinking diet first... Good luck !!!

Hi,

I spoke to the nurse just over 2 weeks ago, she said funding is automatic if you have a BMI over 50 and weight related illnesses. Nurse tried to ring person within the hospital that deals with funding and couldn't get through.

I rang later that day and was told they had not applied for funding yet and not to worry as my PCT was very good and once applied for they usually agree in days.

I've had blood and Sleep Apnea test. I was ferred separately for Sleep Apnea test by GP. WLS Consultant didn't think I needed it, but took note of when I was having it. Not sure what other test are to be done.

Hi Pinky,

I am waiting to see the surgeon at Luton & Dunstable on NHS, I spoke to his secretary and she said once I have seen him, my op will be within the 18 week rule and ball park time scale to op of 6 months

hope this helps
Deb

I may be wrong, but I believe that elective surgery doesnt have to comply with the 18 week rule. Elective is any surgery that we have "asked for" rather than being "advised to have".

I may be wrong, but I believe that elective surgery doesnt have to comply with the 18 week rule. Elective is any surgery that we have "asked for" rather than being "advised to have".

I've read similar on Minimin's. I've had two other Op that would be classed as elective, and never waited more than a few months after seeing the consultant.

I can understand why WLS may be different, there is a lot more things to go through before the op appling for funding, test etc.

Think I'm just impatient and dread the though of having to wait a year or more. Though I do take some comfort in what the Bariatric nurse said.

I was told by Luton PCT that this surgery is not under the 18 week for a number of reasons.

You may have to have a number of tests befor you even get to see the surgeon. Luton will make you jump through many hoops before you get to see the surgeon.

My friend has had her funding in place since May 2008 and she still hasn't seen the surgeon Yet. At the moment she is on the milk diet in a bid to get to see the surgeon. Luton insist their patients do this. If she loses 5% of her body weight then she will see the surgeon. At this point the 18 might click in.

Luton is saturated with patients from the east of England so my friend was told to expect to wait 6 to 12 months. She now in the later stage of the game and it has alreasdy been over a year.

Funding. Even if you fit the criteria your GP still need to apply for it as your PCT will need to pay Luton for the surgery.

I was told by Luton PCT that this surgery is not under the 18 week for a number of reasons.

You may have to have a number of tests befor you even get to see the surgeon. Luton will make you jump through many hoops before you get to see the surgeon.

My friend has had her funding in place since May 2008 and she still hasn't seen the surgeon Yet. At the moment she is on the milk diet in a bid to get to see the surgeon. Luton insist their patients do this. If she loses 5% of her body weight then she will see the surgeon. At this point the 18 might click in.

Luton is saturated with patients from the east of England so my friend was told to expect to wait 6 to 12 months. She now in the later stage of the game and it has alreasdy been over a year.

Funding. Even if you fit the criteria your GP still need to apply for it as your PCT will need to pay Luton for the surgery.

Gosh,

Rather her than me. It seems unfair to start the milk diet now. She can't be expected to stay on that for 6-12 months surely? I've seen the surgeon and was told to lose 7kg (14lb ish).

My surgeon said he has over 200 people on his waiting list. They are from all over the country. He does 10 Op's a week.

I'll just have to be more patient :(.

Hi Sam

I'm not going to argue this too, but whether or not you ask for it, surely the fact the the GP has agreed to refer you means that he feels that your life/health would be prolonged or improved by this surgery...making this an essential procedure....

I bet if a lawyer looked at this they would find the loop hole...it looks like some doctors have already found it as we are all treated differently, some waiting a matter of a couple of months and some waiting a mini lifetime.

I have been reading up about this 18 week rule thingymijig...it's a blinkin mine-field.

I have googled exceptions to 18 week rule every which way, but cannot find a definitive answer.

~hugs~

Hi Sam

I'm not going to argue this too, but whether or not you ask for it, surely the fact the the GP has agreed to refer you means that he feels that your life/health would be prolonged or improved by this surgery...making this an essential procedure....

I dont think its for the GP to decide whether surgery is right for us. However, they shouldnt refuse to refer you if you meet the criteria. Some GP's will of course suggest that their patients would benefit from WLS after trying everything else. Other GP's need to be asked for the referral.

Either way, every PCT is different, and in our area it seems they *try* to operate within 18 weeks of us being put on the waiting list. Getting on to the waiting list however can take many months as we have to jump through all the relevant hoops that our surgeon/bariatric team deem relevant.

Oh! I almost for got to tell you the good news. Luton has just taken on a new surgeon so the list might very soon start speeding up. I hope so. I think it is terrible for people to have to wait so long.

As for the milk diet. No she will not have to be on it for months only until she loses the 5%. She will then have to wait to see the surgeon. That might only be a matter of weeks. Then he will give her a date for her op. She will then have to do the diet for 2 weeks leading up to her op.

AS for me. I have been a patient with Luton for 10 months. My GP referred me in 2007 but Luton is over loaded. As I have NO funding I am just hanging around in the hope that the criteria will change (appeal pending). I have already seen an obesity consultant at Luton who has recommended for me the surgery but under luton PCT they only fund it if you have sleep apnea or diabetes. I have a BMI 0f 52 with high blood pressure and very bad arthritis in both knee's. My mobility is very poor. I have already done all the drugs and weight programmes recommended for me by Luton Hospital. Hoops, hoops and more hoops. Once I have my funding I will still have a long wait at Luton.

I heard on the news that the demand for this surgery has gone up by 40%

My surgeons secretary told me I was being fast tracked so that I still fell within the 18 week rule and that the surgeons could be fined if they failed to comply.

As to when the 18 week rules starts though seems to be open to interpretation.

My surgeons secretary told me I was being fast tracked so that I still fell within the 18 week rule and that the surgeons could be fined if they failed to comply.

As to when the 18 week rules starts though seems to be open to interpretation.

I was told the 18 week rule didn't apply by the same secretary as their waiting lists are 20 weeks plus and as long as they didn't breach these waiting list times they wouldn't be fined.

I was told the 18 week rule didn't apply by the same secretary as their waiting lists are 20 weeks plus and as long as they didn't breach these waiting list times they wouldn't be fined.

Lol Terri same hospital, same secretary probably. None if it makes sense does it?

OMG, you have all frightened the life out of me. There was me thinking that now I am in the system (1st group meeting 3rd July) things would begin to happen for me! Obviously not??

Back