• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op And The 18 Week Rule

my journey from gp refferal to op was about 8 1/2 months. Every hospital is different once my funding was in place and I was put on the waiting list I was told op would be in 20 weeks and it was. There are people who's journeys have been longer or shorter so there are no hard and fast rules with wls.

Last edited:
My surgeon has managed to figure out a way around this rule when it comes to Bariatric surgery.

I was told that from the first referral it would be (a max) of 18 weeks until all pre-op assessments were done. This included appointments and tests such as an endoscope, dietician, sleep apnoea, psychologist...

Then there would be a decision made on my case. Even though funding was already granted, they needed to decide as a multi-disciplinary team if I was a suitable candidate. Once this was made a referral would be made back to my Doctor and I would be referred back to the surgeon. It would be from that second appointment that the second 18 week rule came into practice.

My GP was outraged at this system as she told me that it cost the NHS and the practice money every time a referral was made! It is a pretty lousy way to get around achieving set targets as it ultimately costs the NHS more! Saying that, waiting the two lots of 18 weeks would still let me have the operation before a lot of people on this forum who have been waiting longer. So I am very lucky and extremely grateful!

X

This is a very confusing issue this 18 weeks business. When the Dr at the obesity clinic refered me to the pct for funding he said if they agree(fingers crossed) then I would be sent to see the consultant. If the consultant says yes then it is 18 weeks from then. I will have to wait and see because that dr has now moved to the hospital where I am thinking of going for my op as they don't do it in Cambridge.

I first went to see my gp last july, then had first app wiv consultant in dec, so I must be immune from the 18 week rule.Having said that PALS did tell me it doesn't apply to WLS so god knows:confused::confused:

Back