• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long did you have to wait for Op?

PinkyButtonz

Was just wondering how long the wait is for the Op.
I've been told it could be up to 6 month wait for Bypass Op.

6 months was average in my area thats now gone up to 1 year, your lucky being told 6 months. where do u live pink ?

From outset, seeing GP, mine was about 20months. from seeing surgeon, mine was 3 months. Every area is different though, which surgeon/hospital are you under?

Mine was 16 weeks from seeing my Dr about referal to having My bypass on NHS

Last edited:
Live in North London.

Saw my surgeon Wednesday, he said it takes 3-4 months to get funding.

I saw Mr Sigurdsson for a consulation in May, and had my op in July (but it was private and not nhs, so that probably explains why it was so quick)
MNL:p

private speeds it up, but i couldnt afford the life long after care so i chose to wait on the nhs.

when im old and grey i dont want to shoved in a old ppls home with dementure with a band in me and they trying to force feed me a beef dinner on a sunday lol

Last edited:
I did go to see my gp for referral for wls,and she sent me to an Obesity Clinic at Coventry & Warwick University Hospital. When I saw the consultant I asked if I could have a band fitted and he said no, I didnt qualify because I wasnt heavy enough and did not have enough illnesses. He said he would put me on diet pills and see how I got on. After the second lot of diet pills failed as miserably as the first lot,and after being under their care for a year and losing a whopping 2kg. I again asked for a band to be fitted as it was obvious the hoops they wanted me to jump through were not getting me anywhere. Again they refused, saying that I was not fat enough :wave_cry:. At this point I felt that I had done my part, and they would never agree to do the band on the nhs, so a month later, in May I went to see Mr Sigurdsson, and I had my band fitted in July. I have the best of both worlds in the fact that I still have the support of the Obesity Clinic at Coventry & Walsgrave, and after 6 months of trying, have got them to agree to do my band fills on the NHS. I waited long enough on the NHS for the band and it wasnt going to happen, I knew that was what I wanted, so saved and sorted myself out.
MNL:)

mnl, thats brillaint the nhs is looking after your after care after u payed private for your wls, thats great !

liz x

reffered in august 08, funding approved december 08, initial appointment with consultant april 09, he said i should have gastric bypass in 3-4 months, thats with the nhs.julie.x

reffered in august 08, funding approved december 08, initial appointment with consultant april 09, he said i should have gastric bypass in 3-4 months, thats with the nhs.julie.x

The date between me being reffered and seeing the surgeon saw about 4-5 weeks.

I am lucky enough to be going private. My package also comes with life aftercare so no worries about years down the line and finances.

ahh i think i rem now .. did u have a look at facebook group .. im going this sat for group meet with people from the homerton there all meeting in east ham starbucks from 2-4 if u wana come and ask what you like .. there all homerton people there apart from me lol

Might sound sad, but not ready to meet others yet, want to stay anonomous for the moment.

I saw my GP at the end of october, and had my op on tues, so about 5-6 months

I went to my gp in July 08, funding got approved in Oct, and I saw consultant in Dec, and my op is meant to be in June:rolleyes:

Back