• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS group sessions before surgery

eve111

Hi
Im Yvonne from Cornwall.
Im 43 and about 20 stone.
I am due to start my 6 group sessions at the hospital before I can be considered for weight loss surgery.
My history is, a size 10 before I had my daughter, put five stone on, couldnt lose the weight.
I have polycystic ovaries, so recieved ovulation stimulation injections to try for a another baby which was unsuccesful, each cycle I put more weight on.
Tried all diets and medication but not losing the weight.
Does anyone else have any advise to give with regards to these sessions.
I feel at a loss, what if after all these sessions I am not offered surgery, I just what that yes answer.
All help and support greatly recieved
Thankyou All

Welcome Eve111:welcome2:

I am sure someone will be along shortly who can help you with your questions.

I have PCOS...horrible, HORRIBLE, thing! That is the biggest thing I am looking forward to after surgery...hopefully being able to conceive! Not been on anything for the past 8yrs and never fallen :-(

As for group sessions, I have no idea as I only went to 1 group session to find out the diff surgeries and statistics etc then had the appts with psych and doc etc

I really hope you find out soon and it is gd news. *Fingers crossed*

Hi Yvonne, and welcome. I am from Cornwall but didn't have to do any group sessions. Which part are you from and which hospital are you under. I am going through the system in Truro but started this in Sept 2009 so they may have implemented new ways of doing things since I started. A new guy started back last summer whom I didn't get to meet. I got a bit lost in the system, and then sent back to the psychologist, before getting funding.

Which op, are you hoping for?
All the best Trisha

Hi Yvonne, I finished my group sessions in March, they are basically to prepare you for surgery,they are run by a dietitian and a psychologist, you will need to loose 10% of you excess weight to be forward for surgery.

You will also see the psychologist during this process, you will be taught that you need to chew your food more and numerous other things.

I found them really helpful, and it's great to be among people in the same situation as you, I now have two buddies, that I go to the gym with, in our area this is also included at a discounted price, with your own personal trainer, who is a dish lol.

Then you will have to attend a MDT meeting, I have mine on the 5th May, this is when they tell you if you will be put forward for surgery.

I hope you find this helpful, when I received my letter through the post with all the appointments for the group sessions, believe me I thought OMG this is not for me, but I really enjoyed them.

Good luck with your journey

Back