• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What next?

rainbowdrops22

OK so I spoke to the GP about WLS today and he said that if I can show compliance with the Xenical tablets and have one appointment with the dietitian that he will refer me for surgery in 3 months time. So obviously I'm going to comply and give the Xenical a good go. My question is, well I have two:

1. When he does refer me I want to keep track of it. Would I ring my PCT or the secretary of the surgeon at Morriston Hospital where the surgery would take place?

2. If I were to get refused funding, could I make my GP refer me outside of Wales to some of the English places were they fund more surgery. After I am a UK citizen-shouldn't I get the same opportunities? How does it work?

Thanks for your input!

OK so I spoke to the GP about WLS today and he said that if I can show compliance with the Xenical tablets and have one appointment with the dietitian that he will refer me for surgery in 3 months time. So obviously I'm going to comply and give the Xenical a good go. My question is, well I have two:

Hi Rainbow and welcome to the forum.

1. When he does refer me I want to keep track of it. Would I ring my PCT or the secretary of the surgeon at Morriston Hospital where the surgery would take place?

2. If I were to get refused funding, could I make my GP refer me outside of Wales to some of the English places were they fund more surgery. After I am a UK citizen-shouldn't I get the same opportunities? How does it work?

Thanks for your input!

ive heard funding is very difficult to get and near none existant in Wales and most people have had to go private that live there, funding comes from the pct in your area so i doubt he will be able to send you else where, i hope you are 1 of the lucky ones that get funded....good luck x

Last edited:
As Liz said the funding for your surgery comes from your Primary Care Trust and not from the hospital that does surgery....

You could always move to England? Wolverhampton does automatic funding :)

Good luck with the xenical xx

i agree with Julie even a tempory move would be good as i heard wales only funds 12 cases a year and they are kept for really extreme cases, they may of changed the rules since i last heard, im very suprised your GP doesnt know this x

Try to remain positive you have not been turned down, cross that bridge when the time comes - If it does at all.Rob

As Liz said the funding for your surgery comes from your Primary Care Trust and not from the hospital that does surgery....

You could always move to England? Wolverhampton does automatic funding :)

Good luck with the xenical xx

I hope that all those refused on funding from wales do not decide to come to wolverhampton :D as there be no funding for those people there:eek: . Rob

I must say this funding thing really pees me off. I really think that all PCT should have the same critera then this post code lottery wouldnt happen.

Sorry rant over.:flamingmad:

Good luck with yours hun.x

Hi

I hope that all those refused on funding from wales do not decide to come to wolverhampton :D as there be no funding for those people there:eek: . Rob

Well us in Wales deserve it just as much as anybody else in this country, this post code lottery shouldn't exist.

Thanks guys-I will remain positive for the next 3 months and if worst comes to worst I get to go on a little holiday to England haha.

good luck

xx

Well us in Wales deserve it just as much as anybody else in this country, this post code lottery shouldn't exist.

It shouldnt exist but unfortunatly it does, i wouldnt wait 3 months for a decision, id personally be finding out the phone number for my pct and finding out where i stood now with the chances of being funded for wls, good luck hun x

Hi Rainbow, I just remembered, when I attended a support meeting at Salford Royal a few months ago there was a group of people there listening to the discussions and talking to the attending doctors. They came and sat with us just to observe and we were told they were a group of officials from Wales. They were there looking how the Manchester system worked with the intention of starting up in Wales. Maybe this will be set up now, or well on the way. Might mean good news for you hopefully. Good Luck X

Hi Rainbow, I just remembered, when I attended a support meeting at Salford Royal a few months ago there was a group of people there listening to the discussions and talking to the attending doctors. They came and sat with us just to observe and we were told they were a group of officials from Wales. They were there looking how the Manchester system worked with the intention of starting up in Wales. Maybe this will be set up now, or well on the way. Might mean good news for you hopefully. Good Luck X

Ahhhh that's amazing, thanks for that little tidbit it makes me feel alot better. :)

Back