• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nicotine Gum??

Rupert

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. I have stopped smoking for 2 months now. I had my pre op assessment last month and I told the nurse that I had stopped smoking But I totally forgot to tell her I was still chewing Nicotine Gum. I know I have done the right thing by stopping the ciggies, I have tried calling them today but a different clinc is on. Im guessing I should stop chewing. anyone had the same thing?

I've just had a Google and look round and the general impression is that the nicotine from the gum (and patches) can still have an adverse effect so it's best for ex-smokers who want surgery to 'wean' themselves from it as soon as they can.

Well done on giving up smoking though. I gave up a few years back so it wasn't an issue for me but I can imagine how difficult it is to give up smoking while going through the stress of referral, waiting etc

Thanks I have a lung function test next week I can let them know then. In the meantime I'm not going use the gum. However I feel so much better not smoking for 8 weeks

8 weeks is fantastic !

I've just 'alf-inched this from the NHS. I used something similar to it when I quit and crossed them off as I reached them. It helped me to not 'slip' back.

The quitting timeline
After 20 minutes your blood pressure and pulse return to normal.
After 24 hours your lungs start to clear.
After two days your body is nicotine-free and your sense of taste and smell improve.
After three days you can breathe more easily, and your energy increases.
After two to 12 weeks, your circulation improves.
After three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing improves.
After one year your heart attack risk is half that of a smoker.
After 10 years your lung cancer risk is half that of a smoker.

Back