• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No hunger

lisa35

Had my surgery for bypass Monday afternoon came home Tuesday afternoon. I don't feel hungry at all I had a bit of runny ready Brek bit of soup and some weetabix but I stop after a few teaspoons as I'm scared I'll not be able to get enough fluids down me if I'm full, 1st day I had a bit of ice cream and a tiny bit of jelly and stopped when I felt full but I couldn't drink or have pain meds all day it was making me heave. The woman opposite me managed 4 pints of water, 2 soups and ice cream for dinner. But she was on morphine so don't know if she felt any pain when full she only came out last night.

Don't compare yourself to others, I only had fluids tea/water for 2 days post op and then for 4 weeks only fluids and clear soup, I am 6 months out and still never feel hungry, just concentrate on sipping as much as you can atm getting yourself hydrated :)

Thanks butterfly think I'm just feeling a little anxious like I need to be having something but when had gall bladder out I couldn't eat as was in too much pain, really fancy a cup of tea so will have one with my marvel milk for protein

Its normal to feel anxious as its all new, I felt anxious as I had no pain at all!!! I kept thinking maybe the surgeon didn't do it after all, well 6 months out and over 7 and a half st lost, I guess he did an ok job :D

It's fairly normal for bypassers to not feel any hunger for 6 - 12 months after the op. I'm 2 months out now and don't feel hungry at all. At so soon out, you are still swollen inside so it's probably better to concentrate on thin liquids like soups.
What dietary regime did your provider give you?

Like Butterfly, I was on liquids for about 3 weeks before going onto pureed style foods. Take your time, don't rush and listen to your body. Fluids are most important at this stage so enjoy that cuppa!

I'm almost 2 years post op and I still don't feel physical hunger. It's a bit weird at first, but you'll get used to it :)

As others have said everyone is different, I am 15 days post op I also had a bypass. For the first 8 or 9 days I didn't feel any hunger at all but over the last few days I have started to feel a little hungry especially in the evening. I am feeling a little hungry now as I type this but Iv not had anything yet except 2 cups of coffee (time for a slim fast shake i think) and Iv been up since 5.45am (almost 5 hours).
I am on fluids only for 4 weeks post op, and I have no trouble getting any amount of fluid down I think in the first few days after your op its nerves that stop you drinking much.
Try and relax and take one step at a time were all different and you seem to be doing great just take baby steps slowly does it. Good luck on your journey x

Back