• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No longer feel like a sleeve patient!

soggyharley

Hi,
I am new to this forum but am 18 months post op sleeve and am in maintainance.

I am very happy with my current weight but I am having some problems with my sleeve and when comparing myself to other sleeve patients am a little bit worried!

Unlike most I feel hungry (a lot), I have virtually no restriction so I have to rely on will power (never was my strong suit!). My portion sizes are similar to a 'normal' person. I am never sick and can eat a full chicken breast, 4 new potatoes and veg, no problem!

Although my bloods show things are ok, my hair is still falling out and is terribly thin (to the point I have had to have it cut into a long bob and tie it back all the time). I can no longer grow my nails as they peel away or snap low down. I also have low haemoglobin, so have been on iron for months (but it is not rising).

I read other posts about forgetting to eat, the food diaries seem like tiny portions to me that would never satisfy me at all. Other posts show ppl saying their hair stopped falling out early on and has grown back. I also rarely see sleeve patients with very problematic defiancies.

I just wondered how others are going on? Does anyone else have any of these difficulties? I am feeling a bit out of the ordinary in terms of the wls community as I have had a completely different experience to others. (dont get me wrong, I am thrilled with my results and do not want to lose any more, equally do not want to regain! Any advice or experiences would be really appreciated)
x

Yvessa

I'm a bypasser so this may not necessarily be right for you, but I also found a recent change in diet led to my hair dropping more - are you getting enough protein? Also I have always had hunger and seem to eat bigger portions than most bypassers, so I don't think you're alone. what do your team say?

tealovingsleever

Could you always eat that volume? Just wondering if you've stretched your sleeve?

soggyharley

Hi,

Yes I eat enough protein (my bloods also show plenty of protein). My team do not seem as concerned about my huge portions as I am. I think that if I was gaining weight they may be more worried. I have asked them if I will start to gain if I carry on. They simply said it is normal to regain some between years 2 and 5 (my funding runs out after 2 years).

In terms of if I have always been able to eat this much, no. I used to eat the tiny portions others were satisfied with and lost 10stone. But around christmas 2012 (about 8 months post op I noticed an increase in appetite and portion sizes but carried on losing weight so figured it was normal). It is not just the portion sizes I am hungry between meals as well. Feel more like a person who has never had surgery than a sleeve patient.

Has anyone else had this and managed to increase restriction or avoid regain?? If so, how!?

Ruthiep

I've never done this nor do I have any idea how to, but the "five day pouch test" is supposed to regain restriction if you feel you've lost it. Google it. I think basically you go right back to basics and start on liquids again as if you'd just had the op, but I'm not clear on the specifics.

What size bougie did your surgeon use? That's the tube they use as a guide to cut around.

Why not do what one of my co-sleevers asked for; a barium meal test so they could see if she had stretched her sleeve out. She was paranoid about it from day 1. Her barium meal proved her sleeve wasn't stretched.

mr97

That's Interesting re. barium meal, do you know if this is an expensive procedure?
I'm somebody that can eat a lot too- well more than most sleevers that I talked with - I was glad of it at first as I wasn't eating enough and getting dizzy spells. Being 6' 2" and big framed eating 1200 cals was just silly for me.
I Read an interesting article about someone in the usa re. sleeve volume, apparently regardless of bougie size used, there's other factors too. Such as the length of the stomach or remaining sleeve. I'm no expert but I imagine the length of our stomachs - or rather sleeves - will be as varied in size as we all are. Granted the size may not be as significant as say shoe size etc. but I do think it will account and possible explain why some eg. can only manage half a banana while others can manage the lot. ...I only used the eg of the banana as my dietician keeps using a banana to describe a sleeved stomach :D