• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not losing but gaining despite diet and exercise

bubbles15

This is rather difficult to discuss. I've a gastric band in and dropped from 198kg to 132. This worked, which was great.

I'm going to the gym (injury aside, shin splints now a torn ligament dammit!) every day. I'm fitter and stronger than I've ever been.

Now, I recently went for an asthma clinic appointment - it's never bothered me but I wanted to change my inhaler, so after the peak flow - 650, so dead on and the height and weight I had a shock - my weight has gone to 150kg.

Five months ago I couldn't lift 10kg on the machines or walk more than 5kph, I can now do that uphill and lift 70kg. I *don't* want to turn into Arnie but just try to change my body from being mostly fat to muscle so it burns more doing nothing, as it were.

I eat saucer sized meals (one sandwich at 11, lots of chicken, dinner and what not- I do, however have a dreadful weakness for biscuits - but my chest and tummy fat is still there. I'll never be little. I'm 188cm tall and about 120 wide at my shoulders.

The surgeon took some fluid out as I wasn't able to eat proper meals, and was having the 'cold hands' caused by a lack of energy in my body but should I ask him to put some more saline in as I'm gaining weight?

This is rather difficult to discuss. I've a gastric band in and dropped from 198kg to 132. This worked, which was great.

I'm going to the gym (injury aside, shin splints now a torn ligament dammit!) every day. I'm fitter and stronger than I've ever been.

Now, I recently went for an asthma clinic appointment - it's never bothered me but I wanted to change my inhaler, so after the peak flow - 650, so dead on and the height and weight I had a shock - my weight has gone to 150kg.

Five months ago I couldn't lift 10kg on the machines or walk more than 5kph, I can now do that uphill and lift 70kg. I *don't* want to turn into Arnie but just try to change my body from being mostly fat to muscle so it burns more doing nothing, as it were.

I eat saucer sized meals (one sandwich at 11, lots of chicken, dinner and what not- I do, however have a dreadful weakness for biscuits - but my chest and tummy fat is still there. I'll never be little. I'm 188cm tall and about 120 wide at my shoulders.

The surgeon took some fluid out as I wasn't able to eat proper meals, and was having the 'cold hands' caused by a lack of energy in my body but should I ask him to put some more saline in as I'm gaining weight?

Hello what kind of meals are you able to eat now and what kind of portion sizes can you manage since your de fill, biscuits will make you gain weight and you will find that you probably can manage quite a lot of biscuits, you really need to eat proper meals and dont snack with biscuits. Also what inhaler you on ?? some of them have steriods in it and sometimes that can make you gain weight as well - Wishing you all the best BD x

I've a ventolin (steroid) inhaler, but I do only use them when I need them, so often less than twice a week at most.

As for meals - literally a saucer size. For example, I've shepards pie this eve and that's a 4cm x 4cm wodge (lasts me about 5 days that way), for lunch I had a sandwich, two rounds of bread with ham and a bit of cheese. Breakfast was a glass of milk.

On the biscuits, cripes yes. I must, must stop eating them. I just feel as if I've gone backward, which makes me depressed and so I have biscuits and this damned cycle continues.

I know this will sou.d awful hune and I dont mean it in an unkind way hune my downfall.is Ice cream used to say it was for kids then eat it all . simple rule If its not in the housr you cant eat it and its bad for the kids as well. Thats what I Have had to do. It works!

Muscles do weight more than fat, so some of the weight gain may be due to you developing some muscle. Also, you are quite tall, so you will naturally be heavier than someone smaller. However, you are the best person to judge whether all the weight gain is only due to muscles... maybe isn't. You could try to write a food diary for 2-3 weeks and then discuss it with your dietician. You may be doing some mistake that you don't even realise that you are doing (such as eating something that you think is healthy and good for you without realising how many hidden calories that has). When you say you do like biscuits, how many per day we are talking about? One? Ten? A packet? Two packets?

Today's been fairly ok - only three. A diary sounds like a good plan.

I'm trying to eat only when my stomach rumbles, but that might not be sensible.

I am hoping that about half is muscle but it's still a lot of weight. Righto then, back to being sensible and not fighting the thing.

On the biscuits, cripes yes. I must, must stop eating them. I just feel as if I've gone backward, which makes me depressed and so I have biscuits and this damned cycle continues.

You can break this cycle.

Often admitting it, being able to be open to the things that may be stalling our loss is a positive. You can take that positive and move forward from it and in the right direction.

Remember those feelings you had when you were losing . . .dig into those, use them to take you forward.

I have moments where I will eat something which my mind still tells me is "naughty" I had a biscuit the other day, my first since I had my band. And while I was still a couple of hundred cals for my daily limit, I still had that battle in my mind. So much of this is a mind battle, but one that we can win . . .YOU can too.

Don't wait until you stomach is rumbling, because at that point you're feeling a higher level of hunger . . .it is at this point that you are then more likely to eat the wrong thing, to eat something snacky, such as a biscuit because it takes that immediate hunger feeling away. It is also a time when you're then likely to eat more quickly, and eat more than you should or would because those hunger feelings take more time to go away.

Start fighting . . .you've certainly taken the first step in doing so :)

Back