• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not posted for a while - Update

Ooooh dear Sharonimo that sounds horrible poor you. I have my endoscope on 5 Nov & will let you know what happens. In the meantime my surgeon put me on addition Zantex tablets for acid reflux which I have suffered from on & off since my sleeve. I am allergic to lanprozol & omniprozal. I am actually worried I might have developed an ulcer but we will see. Lost a couple of pounds but my long term stall is very frustrating given my lack of eating. Mum is out of hospital but developed a urinary tract infection over the weekend. I am so worried about her as she is due more chemo next week & this will bring her down even more. I am exhausted.

you poor thing i wish i could say don't worry it will all get better which i hope it will, take care of yourself and your mum as best you can xx

I found out what I believe is the *major* cause of my dumping problems -- a change in medication. Since I registered with new GP in SE25 on return to London they prescribed me "ordinary" Lansoprazole (the ones in big plastic capsules) as opposed to the melt-on-the-tongue version ....... after a lot of head scratching and not wanting to really have an endoscopy (cowardly me!) I realised this is the one and only thing that has changed since my dumping became worse (daily dumping on almost anything).

Then I decided to play amateur detective myself and looked at the back of the packets (the old one and the new one) to see what if anything could be different or the reason for the dumping:

1. The "ordinary" Lansoprazole (plastic capsules) contains sucrose.

2. The orodispersible Fastab version contains Lactose and Aspartame.

So, then had to think *what* is it about Sucrose that is causing me to dump every day and I found that I *might* (possibly) be Sucrose Intolerant -- see this link:

Medical Nutrition Therapy: Low Sucrose Diet, Health Facts For You, UW Health, University of Wisconsin Hospital, Madison

Symptoms can include:
gas, abdominal pain, cramping, and diarrhea

Interestingly amongst milk products that contain sucrose and cause problems it lists:
All milk flavorings, milk shakes, ...... Powdered milk, chocolate milk, sweetened condensed milk, malted milk, sweetened fruited yogurt

Does not mention "protein shakes" but can pretty much assume they come within that category.

SINCE changing meds back to Orodispersible Lansoprazole I have had NO more dumping !!! (Have not pushed my luck by trying a SlimFast or yoghurt, but everything else is OK).

Meanwhile ...... flu has turned into bronchitis so am not feeling very energetic at the moment and couldn't care too figs about my (still stuck) weight ..... I will only have energy to do anything about it when fully recovered which might be another 10 - 14 days. (I have meds for the bronchitis as well but I have a history of suffering with bronchitis after a flu infection and it takes a long time to go.)

In the meantime my surgeon put me on addition Zantex tablets for acid reflux which I have suffered from on & off since my sleeve.

See my above post Bellydancer -- check very carefully the contents of your Zantex and (Prilosec) -- all meds you are taking for acid reflux just *in case* any ingredient is actually affecting your sickness.

I have my endoscope on 5 Nov & will let you know what happens. I am actually worried I might have developed an ulcer but we will see.

I have suspected this with myself as well (I have a few other symptoms) -- however now that I have got the main problem (dumping every day) under control ..... I am just going to monitor the other symptoms and mention it to the bariatric team when I see them on 6 Dec ..... I am not desperate for another endoscopy any time soon (LOL!).

I also understand the treatment for ulcers is simply *more* PPI meds anyway.

Will be very interested to know how you get on BD :)

best wishes,
Sharon

Aww belly dancer I'm so sorry to hear about your mum I really do hope she gets better soon and I also hope you can get things sorted. Take care Hun xxx

Back