• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

not six month not even a month....HELP!

allstarcheer921

So in the first 2 weeks I was blue from pain, uncomfortableness, gas, and constantly missing dinner. Im almost a month post op I returned to work, back to doing household chores and I walk 6 miles 3 times a week and bike 5 miles one day a week. I drink PLENTY of fluids although water just makes me want to vomit I am so sick of that but I have started to like vegetable juice and fat free milk and unsweetened iced tea. Fruit juices and sugar free zero calories don't taste right. I try doing a puree diet but I can't handle it and wind up throwing up so I stock to freeze pops, soup and drink fluid. Problem is I have only lost about 9lbs. Everyone I have talked to has had more like 20lbs weight loss in the first month. I am 4 days away from my month and I am sure I won't loose the additional 11lbs. Has anyone else expierenced a slow weight loss start? Between that and throwing up im still feeling like surgery was a mistake :( help me not be so blue!

Sorry to read that you're feeling so low.

Everyone's experience varies, but you have to allow your body time to recover from major surgery and just take small steps. Look after yourself physically and emotionally. It's a hard time to get through.

9lbs is 9lbs! Don't compare yourself to others if possible. I know it's hard. A lady I had surgery with and I have had very different experiences post operatively over the last year.

My tastes changed markedly, straight after surgery. I also had a terrible taste in my mouth for ages. I brushed my teeth all the time and gave up squashes etc - just drank water. Keep sipping.

Good luck.

hi there, try not to regret it although i had a quick weight loss in the first few weeks that was due to my tummy not agreeing with some medication so i lost a bit then but when that was corrected i had a stall for ten days and lost nothing. it would be nice if we could go to sleep and wake up being x amount lighter but it dont work like that unfortunatly, any weigh loss is great even it comes off slowly, some people are in the fast lane others are taking the scenic route, keep up what you are doing and you will see the results.

all the best barbara xx

Well if i'd gone through what you are i'd be regretting it too. Have you spoken with your surgeon regarding being unable to stomach puree with vomiting? It may be you need a stretch. Also as you are struggling with food are you taking any protein supplements, especially as you are doing so much exercise?

I think you are doing a lot considering you are a month out of surgery. My surgeon said no housework for at least 4 weeks (but i was 'open' surgery) and i didn't rush to get back to work either, i had just over 6 weeks i think...

Be kinder to yourself, speak to your team and above all be patient. At the moment your body is holding onto its reserves, it will let go once it realises the gravy train is still in town xx

I'm sure I replied to this thread earlier but I dont see my reply! Have I gone bonkers since I wrote it lol
Lynne x

I wish i could wave a magic wand and make all you new postoppers 6 weeks out from surgery.Hold tight cos everything will kick in soon!The swelling takes ages to go down on your op site.Food will eventually go down and stay there.Food/drink will taste like normal soon.Your bowels will start to function again only for a few days per week instead of daily.You will stop stressing about food and wishing you hadnt done this to your body!

Hi, I know its demoralising but hang in there. I am 3 and a half weeks post op, have felt fantastic from day one, getting in all my protein, correct carbs, fat etc, been swimming 3 times in the last week, walking every day even cut the grass today and haven't lost a blooming ounce. I am keeping myself sane by reminding myself with the amount of calories etc I am eating I can only be losing weight!! (don't know where) but I am hanging in there. At the end of the day I came through the op better than I ever hoped (and alive) so I have to be grateful for that alone. Whether my patience without a weight loss in the near future will last is another thing though!! Good luck to you

Sue xx

Hiya, the first month out really is the toughest so hang on in there it really does get better! I was only allowed fluid for the first month after my op so just lived on ww soup and ice lollies but do keep an eye on it and get in touch with your team if it continues. Your weight loss if fine please stop worrying i started off slow and ended up losing 10 stone in my first year! Chin up it really does get better! Take care xxx

Back