• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure where things are going…feeling rather lost :(

Sunshine100

Hi everyone,

I don't think anyone can give me answers… I just feel the need to share if thats ok?

So I had my appointment for the weight loss surgery seminar at Sunderland for 7th May 2014.

I received a hand delivered letter on Thursday saying "We are very sorry that due to a change in the way we have been told that patients can access our Bariatric service we must unfortunately cancel your appointment. We will be in touch with you once we have resolved this, which we believe will be in the very near future."

What does this mean? I rang the hospital to be told that the group is going ahead but I had indeed been canceled and the lady I was talking with could not give me any more information. I must say she was great, she did her best to help but could not give me info as to why I have been cancelled.

Needless to say this has me stressed and worried. Im not sure Where to go from here, do I just wait for them to get back in touch with me????

Sorry for the rant :sigh:

Thanks Ginnywinny, I know its not that serious. Id just like to know whats changed :/

maybe ask your GP see if they can get any answers??? fingers crossed they rebook you soon x

Hi GeMzY,

I contacted the hospital last week. It turns out that Sunderland Hospital criteria has changed between my gp referring me and the seminar so they have had to cancel me and a few others.
They now require each patient to have completed a tier 3 weigh management program before they can be accepted for weight loss surgery. I understand why they have to do this and think its a good idea to exhaust less invasive treatments before embarking on surgery however the problem is that the sunderland area don't have a tier 3 weight management programme. When speaking to the receptionist last week she did not know what was going to happen about it all so its just a waiting game.
I have completed a tier 3 weight management programme in the past however when I moved gp's my notes for that seem to have vanished. My old gp can't find them either and the place I completed at had a computer system upgrade and no longer have any notes before 2009!
The hospital won't accept the notes for my completing tier 4 even though you have to have done tier 3 to get on to 4! It all seems like a big mess at the moment. I am just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best :)

I'm going to a seminar there on the 21st, hope mine doesn't get cancelled...not sure what the 3 tier thing is but my gp in south shields had in the past referred me to slimming world, referred me to the gym, prescribed xenical and just recently he referred me to see a dietician who had to discharge me because she was been made redundant...i feel that the surgery is my only hope of getting healthy :-(

Hi Maychick,

I am hoping they sort this out very soon. As far as the receptionist knew they were having a meeting to discuss what they could do about it. It was not their choice to impose the new criteria and because there is no tier 3 available in sunderland they are trying to have the decision reversed. (fingers crossed they manage)

Tier 3 does exist in South Shields (I am also from sunny South Shields) It is known here as exercise referral. It is the 12 week programme at Temple Park with exercise and lifestyle advice which you have to have completed. If you have done this (sounds like you have from your reply) maybe you could get your gp to write to Sunderland with evidence to support your referral and if you have not then maybe see about getting a referral up to Temple Park in case they keep the criteria in place at Sunderland.

Fingers and toes crossed that they have this sorted soon and you get to seminar without it effecting you. :fingerscrossed:

Aw hope it does get sorted for you soon hun, it must be doing your head in...why can't things just be straight forward?...ages ago (about 5 year ago) I did the exercise referrel thing at temple park ...I already lost some weight with ww at the time, but then I went off track and gained, I felt crap when it was the the end of the 12 weeks and had to get weighed and measured and I was nearly a stone heavier :-( too ashamed to go back to gp, then about 2 year ago I asked gp to refer me to slimming world...lost a little and regained it plus more...again felt crap..then in jan I ask gp for help with my weight he gave me them awful tablets and sent me to see dietician at Edith brown house at hospital...who then got made redundant so had no choice but to discharge me...i plucked up the courage and asked my gp for referral which she did no bother...I'm fed up now..I'm hungry and can't fill my belly up, I just eat and eat...bypass is my only hope.....good luck with your journey..I really hope they sort all this out for you..keep us updated xxxxxx

Hi Maychick,

I hear exactly what you are saying about all of the different things you have tried. I think most of us on here would echo this. I think the important thing is to try and let go of the feeling bad about past efforts and look forward.

It is great news that you have completed tier 3 though. If they keep the new criteria it should not make a difference to you.

Let us know how you get on x

I'm pleased I've found this forum. :) It's really helping come to terms with everything by me reading other people's journey's...Really Sorry for waffling on....it's just the only person I can talk about this too is my hubby (whos very supportive) but it's lovely to have this forum where everyone is in the same boat as me or has been . I don't want anyone else to know yet but guess I will have to face up to telling my family near the time..people can be so judgmental can't they?....i'll keep you posted but you keep me posted too, got my fingers crossed for you. Xxx

I know what you mean, I have not told anyone except my husband. It is great here for getting different views and opinions and sometimes just having a good old rant :)
I have been to ask for a referral to tier 3 today just in case I do need it. I am still annoyed that it is not in my notes from when I did it last time round but hey ho, just have to get on with these things I guess. x

Hi Maychick,

Just a quick update as I promised to keep you informed.

The decision to only allow referrals for patients who have completed a tier 3 programme to be made to Sunderland hospital must have been overturned.
I received a new appointment date for the seminar this morning!
It has really cheered me up :) fingers crossed for no more surprises :fingerscrossed:

:) :) fantastic news ...what a relief for you..so whens the new appointment? Mine is 21st may..not long...thanks for the update sunshine xxx

My seminar appointment is for the 4th June :)
You can let me know what its all about after yours :)

fab news on new date sunshine

Hi Princess, how are you getting on?

Hey Sunshine and Maychick welcome to you both (sorry not caught up before now) Good news ladies on your dates keeping all my fingers and toes crossed for ya x x x

Thanks Llora And Crystalrainbow x

Back