• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To Tell, or not to Tell!!

831phil

:confused: Hi everyone. Just starting this long journey to a healthier life - and just wanted to ask who you told about the surgery and who you didnt, and what your views are on telling people. My first thoughts are that I dont want to tell people, except close family and friends - but how do I not tell work colleagues - how do I get a sick note that doesnt state "bypass" - its a difficult one!! Would love to hear your thoughts!! Ruth xxx

Hi Ruth

I had my op on Monday and all I told work is I am going in for an investigative opertion and the docs think I will need about 3 weeks off, I left the hospital today and realised when I got home I didnt have a sick note so I need to see my gp and he has already said he will but minimal info on it ie abdo surgery or similar.

I only told my hubby and mum my kids I told them the same story as my boss as they are only 10 and 13 and didnt need to know,

Good luck with your wls journey

I didnt want people trying to talk me out of it or having to keep explaining my reasons for having the op.

I dont the people that matter the rest dont need to know lol

I have told my immediate family and 2 close friends. I don't work so have no problem with that issue. I probably won't tell anyone else until they notice or mention the weight loss. To be honest, I can't be bothered to tell anyone else, as at the moment it's none of their business.

I also feel its no-one's business but I work in a small NHS Mental health unit in a small team! I manage the woman who does the sick notes for the team! and they are a caring bunch who will worry about me having an op - that said, its personal and I feel I only want my family and close friends to know. I have told my son who is 12 and he is very keen and I know he wont say anything. I am not sure whether to tell my daughter or not - she is 9!

I have told my partner, my daughter and my brother, they are the only people I want to tell. It isn't anybody elses business and I am sure they wouldn't be particularly interested anyway. Oh yes and my fella told his mum and dad. My dad is too old to tell and he has dementia. If anybody says anything like, blimey aren't you skinny now (wishful thinking lol) then I will tell them probably.
Lynne x

Pre op I told my other half, boss, and two days before the op my daughter. Other than that one close ex colleague who was a nurse in a previous job. I didn't want to tell anyone in case I bottled it, or they didn't do it.

Post op I've told everyone

i told everyone, with all 3 of my ops x

like deets my doctor put post surgery on mine, that was when i had my hysterectomy, i dont work now, but she would have put the same thing.

ive told everyone who listern my weight has been a huge enemy for a very long time ,my hubby said today that he was scared coz lots of deaths in papers recently ,i know if i dont get surgery i will die of something related to me being overweight ,my mum died when iwas 11 my sister has had two strokes, im 38 and ive got rheaumatoid arthritis crohns disease lupus and now im on blood preasure talbets ,its got to stop ,so god willing i get my surgery this year ,I WANT MY LIFE BACK icant walk 15 steps without my hip and kness killing me .xxx

Yes, I am retired too so I don't need to worry about colleagues.
Lynne x

Hi. As me and hubby had our ops planned for the same day we told our Mums, my sis & brother-in-law, his brother and my aunt. I also told my team at work, luckily I work in the HR dept for the company and they have been really supportive (espacially when my op didn't happen!), and a few other friends both at home and work for me. Lee (hubby) told a couple of friends but only his boss at work, he works with a couple of really gossiping b*tches (who are usually more interested in chatting about who they snogged on their last night out without their hubby's!). Obviously they know he's not in work so he told them he was having an op on his back. He's had a bad back a few times and it'll be easier to say that he's losing weight because his backs much better so he can exercise more now.
His GP did his certificate and just put post surgery as the reason, he didn't want someone else seeing if they opened the post at work.
We both decided we wanted to tell only close people, mainly for privacy.
x x

Hey hun :)
I just got my SSP certificate from my doctor today - she just put abdominal surgery. That's fairly vague :)
I had to tell my boss I was having surgery on my stomach, but didn't tell her exactly what I was having done. Other than that, only my immediate family and personal trainer know :)
I told everyone else I had gallstones removed. I know it's lying, but eh. It's no one's business. I come from a very close-knit community, so unfortunately if I tell one person, they'll all know 8)
It's your choice who you tell :)

i was like that first, then i blurted out to the one person who i didnt want to know my DAD!!! we where having an argument and he was "trying to make me see sence and that i was gaining more and more weight" after that i didnt care and have a good careless attitude about talking to it...hey they cant be saying worse than comments you've probaly had off bullies or just people been rude :)

I have only told my husband and other wlsers. It is more of a superstition thing for me. I do not tell people I am going for job interviews because if I fail I feel a fool, I do not tell people I am on a diet as I always fail. I just think if I tell people I am having an op, it won't happen. So I haven't told anyone!

My hubby has known right from the start. I then told a couple of friends and my boss for practical reasons, then my close family just before the op. My boss has been incredibly supportive all the way. After the op I chose what to say to who, depending on my relationship with them, but as time has gone on, the weight has come off, and I'm so obviously fitter and healthier I've told more people. I have no problem with it now. I want people to have a positive view of WLS and realise the extent of the benefits to individuals, their families, the economy and the NHS.

Each too their own on this subject, where some people like too tell everyone , some ppl dont tell nobody, some only tell nearest and dearest.......as I said each to their own hun - All the best xx

Back