• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

To Tell, or not to Tell!!

I only told the people that mattered about my bypass.
Obviously long term friends and certain people at the school where i work...everyone has been brilliant..to be honest i wanted to shout it from the roof tops hahaha..so happy of being given this opportunity that i really really dont care who knows. xxxx

Hi Ruth,

I think it's very much an individual thing as to how we proceed with discussing our wls.

My immediate family and support network knew, but I have found that I've told one or two more people along the way.

I haven't had the energy to answer an abundance of queries and questions from all and sundry so I'm just sorting as I go along.

In the longer term, I'm grateful, glad and hope everyone else would be that I've reduced my health risks, reduced my pull on the NHS and public budget and it's the only way I could help myself... I'm sure I'll be telling more people along the way... in my time.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Hi, I told everyone that would listen to me about it both before and after op.

I'd never really discussed my weight problems with people before, I was just the fat loud one. It helped to know that there wasn't anything else to explain. They were all told about my post op diet, how long til I can eat normal food and that my portions will be tiny compared to everyone dy lse. Nobody ahs been negative about it at all and in fact the support and encouragement aswell as the long list of compliments to how much better I'm looking have been greatly appreciated.

You have to do what you are comfortable with, I knew that everyone knowing would be a help for me.

I told my mum and dad, my brother and my sister in law i told 2 of my aunties as they had also had WLS so i wanted thier views and experiences etc... i also told one friend who decided to go for it when she found out i was.... she didnt get accepted and has said some pretty nasty stuff about me so we no longer talk, i think it depends on your family situation, the people i have told ive explained to them to not say anything unless i bring it up because i dont want the people that i dont want to know to find out....

I havnt had my surgery yet and im already regretting telling my aunties and that one friend but whats done is done :)

xxx

Everyone who knows me knows about my surgery! I started a new job this week and it came out in casual conversation, i personally do not deny it or try to hide it but as Bev says it is very personal & an individual choice x

I told nobody except my OH and my GP.
My line from the doctor said 'Abdominal Surgery' and I lost a few stone before my op so it didn't seem suspicious that I suddenly lost weight after being off for surgery for a few weeks.
People have commented but most of my workmates think I am on a Slim Fast diet! If only it was that easy....

Thank you all for your very honest thoughts - I agree it is a personal thing for each person! I really am in two minds but as I am at the start of this very long journey I have got time to think about it!! My son's reaction shocked me (although he is only 12) and he said "no, dont do that its cheating!" After I explained how it worked and how hard I would have to work to change my eating habits and lifestyle, he came around and is now very keen for me to have it - but I wonder if I will get other comments like that, but as my very dear friend said "its absolutely nothing to do with anyone else and I shouldnt give a second thought to what they say" - and I know that's true xx Thanks again guys - you are a great lot xx

Back