• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What to say?

beckers

Hi all I have a problem I'm unable to solve, I'd appreciate all feedback. I work in a bookmakers and have been there for 6 years now, so as you can imagine i know most of the customers. I was talking with one of my colleagues and she raised a good question. She said 'what are you going to tell people when they ask how you're losing weight so fast' and I stopped and thought 'she's right' I don't want to tell people what I've had done, I don't feel they need to know, but it does raise the question what AM I going to say to people ?

I'm going to say I'm eating healthy smaller meals a few times a day instead of 3 big ones and exercising. I also plan to have my water bottle on show not in my bag where it normally is.

Tell them the truth- you're eating a low fat, low carb, low calorie diet and exercising your butt off- because you will be ! xx

Just say you're eating less and better and exercising more - it's not a lie and yet you don't have to say anything about the surgery! :)

Its actually none of their business and you don't need to tell them anything, and even more so anything more than you're comfortable with.

People at work do not know I've had my band, but they do know that I am eating healthily and exercising. Thats as much as they need to know :)

Trust me they will simply work it out for themselves. There is so much publicity around WLS these days that regardless of what we tell or don't tell people, when a huge person suddenly loses a huge amount of weight and keeps it off, people will realise what the score is pretty quickly x

that did make me chuckle Karlos 'a huge person'
but you're right, I think I will just tell the truth, I'm on a low fat low cal diet with exercise. :) thanks for the feedback guys

I'm personaly with Karlos on this one I have no shame I dont care what they think in there small minds. I will tell anyone and everyone what the wonderful NHS has helped me to achieve. They dont like it then tuff to them I will still be thinner and healthier which was the whole point of the help.

I'm ok with telling people, not told work until I get a date but I know all but one will be supportive. I am currently thinking of clever explanations for the one that will be saying "just diet, waste of NHS resources, self inflicted bla bla bla". She wouldn't dream of saying anything if I was being sectioned with anorexia tho!!!

I am not telling anyone at work boss knows and fam n best friend no telling anyone else am sayingow carb low far and lots of excercise! And sheer hard work and determination.

I was very reluctant to tell people I'm having surgery but have since decided that its nothing to be ashamed of. I'm changing my life to be healthy and happy. I started telling people at work and have been overwhelmed with people's support and encouragement. There will be the odd few who judge and sneer but people already do that because I'm overweight. I feel liberated and even more excited now having got it off my chest.

I told everyone. I'm happy with the choice I made to improve my long term health. I don't give a rats a** what people think. If they have a problem with it, it's their problem not mine. Everyone is different though, so it's down to you if you want to tell people or not :)

I'm ok with telling people, not told work until I get a date but I know all but one will be supportive. I am currently thinking of clever explanations for the one that will be saying "just diet, waste of NHS resources, self inflicted bla bla bla". She wouldn't dream of saying anything if I was being sectioned with anorexia tho!!!

Just tell her to keep her ignorant opinions to herself, as you not interested in negative people or what they have to say.

I've told everyone I'm going to Prague!! I'm so excited that its finally here that I've told all my work mates (males-all soooo supportive and excited for me!!) and my mates, my family, even my chemist knows!! Lol. It's such a big part of my life and its taken so long to save up that I couldn't not tell people!! Especially when I'm refusing nights out and not booking my usual Holidays etc to save more pennies. I don't care what people think. It's my decision, my body, my life, my health!!!! Let them snear!! Lol. (Not that anyone has!) my sister was a bit funny about it but turns out she's actually worried sick about me going away for surgery. We've talked it through now though and she knows all the ins and outs of the wrap operation. I think she's even taking me the airport on Sunday!!!! :) xx

I got a bit annoyed at something on the telly saying that the money spent on WLS could be better spent elsewhere....

Then you read the papers and the commenters who say that they've "paid" for my NHS wls surgery through their taxes.

When I sat and thought about it, I have worked for 22 years, I've paid tax for most of them, and therefore I've well and truly contributed to my own operation, and apart from the odd course of antibiotics, and in the last year diabetes, I've "paid" a lot more into the NHS than I've had out.

The NHS isn't a savings scheme, it's a fabulous resource which is available to us all, and I appreciate how incredibly lucky I am to have had my op on the NHS, and not had to pay for it - It is a great shame that not everyone who needs this life changing surgery can get it done.

So if you do get any negative comments, bear in mind that no one complains about paying to have someone elses broken leg mended! (unless they are really awful people!)

sorry that was a bit of a rant!!! oops

xxx

When I first decided to have the op I chose not to tell anyone , except my husband, girls and dad...not even my sister. Mostly because I didn't think it was anyone elses business and who cared about my weight anyway!!!

However after a few months people DO notice and comment about your weight loss. For me they were genuinely pleased and happy that I was looking and feeling better. After a while, telling them that I was eating less, mostly protein and now able to excersize more ( all true) I started to feel uncomfortable with them asking me with the hope that I'd found some great regime that they could follow.
I really didn't think that people would be interested in my health and well being like they were, so I have now told anyone that asked what I've had done... when they are interested I tell them what the procedure involves and what commitment I have had to make to make it work.
No one has made any sort of judgement, well not to my face, and anyhow I couldn't get a monkeys anyway.
I was never ashamed of my decision, I still dont think its anyone elses business....but do feel that I've managed to use my tool successfully and should try to help "educate" others to accept WLS for the fantastic assistance it can be to those that really use it to its full potential.

I only told close friends,family and my boss. Everyone else thought I was having my gallbladder removed, which was how my wls journey started! However the surgeon decided it was too dangerous so didn't remove it. I now have a dilemma as to whether to tell people that I have had a bypass or just say I'm on a diet!! I think being honest may be best because I will be having my gallbladder out next year!!

It is scary though telling people! I work in a call centre so you tell 1 and 50 know then

Back