• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Nottingham - Royal Derby Hospital Patients

phatmomma

Am starting this thread for a new member who was wondering how many of you lovely people have had operations or are waiting for surgery at the above hospital.....

There is no support group so i thought maybe you might like to set your own little network going!

??? Anybody home?? xx

well I am now home in NOTTINGHAM after a hards day work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I went through Royal Derby Hospital and was referred on to Leeds .

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Bungle, can i ask how come you were sent to Leeds from the Royal?

Julie

some of Derby's are still being sent there as got a few too many to do but they are now doing there own bypasses since nov so they should now be done in Derby. Leeds was the only place that they could do it. I wanted Derby but couldnt as not centre of excellence and dont intend to be by what the new consulant was saying at Jan's meeting.

They not many from Derby/Nottingham on here at min as I asked last year cos it would be good to meet someone closer

xx

I just moved to derby on the 2nd March and will be here for about a year. i was thinking should i change my hospital or not. i'm under Dr simon Coppack at the moment and waiting for my sleep test and 2nd appointment. I checked that the criteria are same in London and derby. what should i do?

Hello ... I am living in Nottingham and have been referred to Derby Royal ... just waiting and waiting at the moment to hear from them. I have phoned the secretary a few times but nothing appears to come from it. It's quite frustrating as I want to ring again but at the same time don't want to upset anyone if you know what I mean. Anyway ... it's taking so long I might be 60 by the time it eventually happens lol ... not joking it's true.

Anyway, hope we can all keep it touch ... as there are so few of us about from Derby.

Hi Beth i also live in Nottingham and going through the prosess at Derby. how far are you through it seems we have the same surgeon. did they give you a time scale for your op :eek::)

Hi Karen

Nice to meet you ... I originally went to see Mr Ahmed in July 09. He gave me an approximate time for Bypass of 5 months, but before that put me on a weight management i.e see the dietician and walk for an hour day. I waited longer than expected because I wasn't see again until November. I've been waiting since then as funding was put on pending the reason being that they wanted me to do weight management programme, which I had already done. The PCT did not appear to read the letter properly. So, I'm still waiting, how about you?

Hi Bungle, can i ask how come you were sent to Leeds from the Royal?

Hi,

i was sent to leeds nuffield. saw mr ahmed in derby and then am now under mr dexter. i see several people saying how long they have to wait. if it helps this was my journey:

saw GP June 2008 and asked for referral.
Saw Mr Ahmed Jan (6th) 2009. Because I had already seen a dietician, psychotherapist, had weight loss meds etc. I did not have to do any weight loss programme.
Funding requested February 2009
Funding given LATE March 2009 (I was surprised at how quick that come through).
Received an appt in April 2009 inviting me to see mr dexter in Leeds June 5th 2009.
June 5th 2009 saw mr dexter and accepted for surgery.
Started pre-op diet August 17th 2009
Had my RNY bypass August 27th 2009
Discharged from hospital August 29th 2009.

Anyone have any queeries just ask away!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hi beth so glad to find someone on here from the same part of my region. I was refered by my gp in November 09, i saw mr ahmed on the 2nd Feb he told me then that i would be looking at having surgery june/july. i saw the dietitian the same day before seeing him and she said she was happy with my diet apart from not having breakfast and still taking sugar. these are the things i have rectified. i recieved a letter with everything that was said in the consultation on the 15th feb. i gave the receptionist a call and asked her what to expect next she said i should call her back in approx 3 weeks to comfirm funding then i would be placed on the list.and it usually takes about 6 weeks from there to get your date. i dont know if it was the same procedure for you. :)

Hi Karen
Sorry haven't been around for a couple of days. I think my esxperience is quite different from yours. I did weight management as was requested by Mr Ahmed and the dietician who I have seen twice now. She was happy for everything to go ahead, but as I said and my GP agrees the PCT didn't appear to read the letter which was sent to them properly. My GP is writing to see what is happening as I've tried ringing Mr Ahmeds secretary a few times the last time nearly two weeks ago and she said my notes were on her desk and she would be in contact soon.

It's a pain weighting but there is nothing really I can do. Maybe it's my age which puts them off or just that the PCT is weighting for the new financial year who knows. Just have to weight and see ... but keep in touch Karen and we can compare notes, I will give you my mobile number if you want let me know how I can send it to you.

Take care now

Beth have you thought about complaining to Pals? Your treatment seems to have been very shoddy and for the secretary to promise to ring you with an update and not doing so is very unprofessional... It might just be the kick up the jacksy they need to get rolling..... xxx

Hi Karen maybe its not a good idea to put mob no straight on here a private message would be better dont forget we can all see it prob being overcautios but heyho

xx

Back