• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2013 Surgeries

So eventually can we drink normally Audra? We don't have to sip forever? I feel like I've so much to learn

It's all about learning what you as an individual can do. Sips hurt at first, then it got easier every day. I definitely can't gulp but I think I'm now drinking almost normally. Not sipping! But that might just be me. X

Hi Flick. Sorry to read you are feeling down. Have you asked your GP for a full assessment? It may be that you have post-natal depression.

Here is a link for you, it may be useful:

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/mentalhealthservices/Pages/Accessingmentalhealthservices.aspx

It is very important that you receive the right care and support. So many people go undiagnosed when it comes to mental health issues and suffer in silence.

It is amazing that you have taken this leap into WLS and you are achieving great results. Keep your chin up, the weight will come off when it is ready to. We are all different and our journeys will differ immensely. Don't compare with others, celebrate yourself.

I will read the link above, thank you :)

Ive suffered with varying degrees of depression since childhood (10/11 years old) It was at its worst in my late teens and spiked again after having my son. I have brilliant days where I feel great about myself and im happy (my wedding day 20/09/2013 was the last time) and other days (yesterday) when I wont even get out of bed. Some days im really tearful, others sooo angry. My mood flips and changes by the hour most of the time.

Ive not had a full assessment before no. I basically just asked about anti depressants and was put on them straight away. No questions asked really.

WLS was my last resort for losing weight, having more energy, upping my health and for me most importantly, trying for another baby. I am so thankful I was able to have it done!

It's all about learning what you as an individual can do. Sips hurt at first, then it got easier every day. I definitely can't gulp but I think I'm now drinking almost normally. Not sipping! But that might just be me. X

Wow, that's good! I bet it feels amazing?

I dont know if its different, bypass & sleeve, or just an individual case but I still can't drink properly. Im not sipping like I was in the first couple of weeks but cant quite manage what I used to before. Gulping, I forgot once and gulped, wow, very painful. Different pain to food getting stuck but not in the slightest bit pleasent!

Do really cold/hot drinks affect you?

I really feel you deserve to have some investigation into this Flick! We all deserve to be happy Hun and go about our daily lives without unnecessary anxieties.

You should have been referred to CAMHS whilst in your teens. Don't let it go on Hun. Speak to your hubby about accessing adult services. You won't believe the difference it will make to your family life. Get him to go along to see your GP and have a frank discussion about your daily life. If he doesn't refer you, there are many organisations that can offer you support.

Don't go it alone. Get some help X

Wow, that's good! I bet it feels amazing? I dont know if its different, bypass & sleeve, or just an individual case but I still can't drink properly. Im not sipping like I was in the first couple of weeks but cant quite manage what I used to before. Gulping, I forgot once and gulped, wow, very painful. Different pain to food getting stuck but not in the slightest bit pleasent! Do really cold/hot drinks affect you?

Haven't tried hot drinks just Luke warm. Cold are fine. Everyone seems to be so different.

So eventually can we drink normally Audra? We don't have to sip forever? I feel like I've so much to learn
No, you won't be able to gulp drinks. What will happen is eating and drinking slower will become normal and you won't think about it so often.

Honestly, no I dont think so. I seldom have breakfast because im not up early enough. I dont fall asleep til around 3/4am so getting up at a "normal" time is hard. Im rushing around sorting lil'un out so dont have time to prepare and enjoy a proper meal for lunch. I grab a grape or piece of melba toast on the go if I get a chance! I do sit down for dinner but thats when hubby is home so I can relax abit. I still have my vits everyday and hot drinks which are usually a replacement for my meals as I can sip as I work. I never could sit down and enjoy a meal without interuption before because of Kai (my son) but now I cant jump up and move around without being physically sick. He's good as gold but like me, has a very short attention span and wants something new every 20 mins. Hard to keep up as im sure alot of you can imagine :p

Okay hun, on the one hand, yes of course I can imagine. On the other hand you need to make a better choice here and be more prepared. I am like you in that I go to bed late, and up late. I eat breakfast when I get up. I start my morning with a milky coffee to take my vits. That's when I do breakfast if my daughter wants me to. She's older now so its easier. If you don't have time to make your breakfast in the morning have something that you either made already or can just grab, eg porridge, boiled egg etc. But plan ahead.

have easy grab snacks, like you mentioned, petit filous, or soft cheese etc.

For lunch, plan ahead - make a soup or something for the week and just have a little each day.

I work full time and then come home to being a mum and its full on, so I do get it. But you've had this massive op for yourself and your son. You're not doing him any favours if you let yourself become ill by not putting your nutrition first. I also eat quite late - dinner at 6, but then i'll have something again at 10. And thats okay - its worked so far for me. Fit your food to your lifestyle, but make sure you do it.

I just want to add, I'm not trying to be harsh, or uncaring, but I'm a little worried flick. The health ramifications if we don't look out for ourselves are scary. And this can be a form of self harm.

I would definitely get in-touch with your doctor flick, ask for a double appointment if you don't want to be rushed! I didn't know you was allowed to ask for double appointments till about August last year, that would have made it so much easier when I first went in about my depression!!

Ask for a full evaluation, ask to be referred to a mental health team, tell your doctor YOU WANT to get better, and you're asking for his/her help. You can't do it alone. I'm sure everyone on this thread will agree, we're here for you! *hugs* xx

Kirsty

depression is not good at the best of times but even more so if not treated correctly dont let it be a case of doctors trial and errors with medications ask to be referred to a mental health team who can treat it more correctly than a gp can we did this with my son and after a few short weeks the change in him was amazing and even more recently my daughter has been sectioned for mental health just to get the help she felt she needed as the gp dont listen do whats best for you but def ask for the referal i would

Hi flick I'm the same I haven't lost any weight in two weeks , really annoyed . Also it doesn't make sense . Iv really struggled at this stage . Bring food up nearly all the time. Today managed just one yogurt . Toast , fish in sauce , plus last nights tried salmon in restaurant . Honestly I'm on milky drinks today and that's a struggle .

Morning Kim, I guess your body may have gone into starvation mode, once you can eat a little more it will catch up. Good luck with the food today. X

Thank you everyone. I need to book an appointment in the new year with the GP so I may ask for a double appt. and speak to her about an assessment. Review my anti depressant tablets and see if I can get the correct multi vitamins and multi minerals prescribed monthly on repeat so every new month I start everything a fresh.

Yes Kim, they warned me if I was to self harm/OD again and failed I wouldn't be fit to mother my son as I'm putting his life in danger too. It has scared me so much that now I wont even admit to self harm let alone try and get help for it!

Ive just been shopping and was walking for 3 hours. At one point even running with the trolley as my son legged it and almost got lost. It hasnt phased me in the slightest. Back home enjoying a cup of tea before cleaning, tidying and rearranging my son's entire bedroom.

On an good note I've reslised that I hadn't weighed my dreads before installing them and that they weigh around 2lb so ive actually lost more than I first thought :)

Thank you so much ladies, for all of your help. I have no one to talk to face to face about this and I know I can always rely on your support be it in the way of a cyber hug, slap or kick up the butt. I really appreciate it :) thank you xXx

Thank you everyone. I need to book an appointment in the new year with the GP so I may ask for a double appt. and speak to her about an assessment. Review my anti depressant tablets and see if I can get the correct multi vitamins and multi minerals prescribed monthly on repeat so every new month I start everything a fresh. Yes Kim, they warned me if I was to self harm/OD again and failed I wouldn't be fit to mother my son as I'm putting his life in danger too. It has scared me so much that now I wont even admit to self harm let alone try and get help for it! Ive just been shopping and was walking for 3 hours. At one point even running with the trolley as my son legged it and almost got lost. It hasnt phased me in the slightest. Back home enjoying a cup of tea before cleaning, tidying and rearranging my son's entire bedroom. On an good note I've reslised that I hadn't weighed my dreads before installing them and that they weigh around 2lb so ive actually lost more than I first thought :) Thank you so much ladies, for all of your help. I have no one to talk to face to face about this and I know I can always rely on your support be it in the way of a cyber hug, slap or kick up the butt. I really appreciate it :) thank you xXx

Sounds like a good day on the exercise front then Flick! Get that assessment you have come so far. Don't let anything stand in your way. X

Back