• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 days post-op!!

SarahAD

Hello everyone! I came home from hospital today after having my bypass Monday evening. Initially, the next day, I felt ok but then it seemed to hit HARD! I spent last night retching and vomitting and having excruciating pain. I was very naive to think it wouldn't be that bad. I think had I psyched myself up for the inevitable pain, discomfort and bloating post-op then it wouldn't have been such a huge shock to me both physically and mentally. I had only concentrated on the end result which, in some ways was a good thing but it's just a little warning and insight to those of you about to have your ops!! Be prepared!!! Please please please don't think I'm trying to scare you at all, just letting you know is all!

All that said, I'm now at home on the losers bench at last and wouldn't change a thing!!!!!

Hugs to all!!!!!

Sarah xx

Hi! Me again!!!
As I'm on liquids for the next 4 weeks can anyone give me some nice suggestions? I really don't like bovril, oxo cubes, consommé etc !! At this moment in time I would give my right arm for a cup of tea with sugar ;-( I tried it with a sweetener but it just doesn't cut it!! Can I have watered down petit felous etc please? I've had a tiny bit of cream of mushroom soup this evening ( bits sieved out ) and that was nice!!!!!

I really look forward to hearing from you all!! This forum is sooooo helpful and supportive!!!!

Xx

you can always try splenda as a sugar subsitute and you can have sugar free jellies, these are what I had while on liquid stage as well a nas squash

you can get splenda in a tub it is about " something from Asda

Congrats on ur op hun happy healing :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Sarah, congratulations to you. Hope you are feeling a bit better today. Here are some liquid diet suggestions that I used during that phase.

Cocoa made with skimmed milk, splenda and cocoa
Milky coffee
Slim fast shakes (but they can make some people dump)
Mini probiotic drinks
Watered down fruit juice
Soups of many kinds

A tip I learnt here was that when you seive your soups don't throw out the solids, just freeze them and use them when you go onto soft food stage - the small amounts will be ideal when you start.

Another tip to increase protein intake is to stir a heaped dessertspoon of powered milk into milky drinks and soups - this is sometimes called "double-milk".

i sometimes found it difficult to get enough fluids in as I just didn't enjoy drinking them, but found if I froze some NAS squash in a plastic bottle and sipped it as it defrosted it was much easier to tolerate. I also had mini-milk ice lollies for a change - yummy!

Hi sarah
I hope you are feeling better and thanks for the in sight
i'm having my bypass tomorrow and like you have only been thinking of the bigger picture, :) xx

Hi Lullaby
I hope all has gone well with your op today. Please let us know how you got on.
Take care

Sarah x

Hi Minxie
Thanks for that advice!!! My husband got me a tub of slimfast and it initially tasted nice but after about an hour & half I felt really sick so I think I'll leave that for now eh?! I am def going to try the minimilks as I love them!! I've had a little bit better day today, no nausea but still bloated. I've had a choc highlight drink which was lovely and some tomato soup which also went down well!
I don't think I was properly prepared emotionally for the op and would recommend anyone research carefully how they may feel shortly afterwards. My head is craving big macs and bacon rolls and I was almost in tears earlier thinking about it. I know that will pass soon though. I just wasn't prepared for it.

Anyway ... Tomorrows another day!!

Take care

Sarah. Xx

Back