• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

surgery yesterday excruciating wind pain

hi I am quite concerned with the problems that you are having contacting the hospital group. Is it a case of pay us the money for the op, but if anything goes wrong - use the NHS???

I've called three times, the first time I was called back. When it was do do with breathing. But i have been waiting over 24 hours for help regarding bladder and now my wound opening. I didn't have ot stitched, they were glued. Not sure what to do. I Cant go to a&e I have two toddlers in bed. Xxx

I have had those type of hunger pains that have been referred to, good to know they are just part of the healing process. Mine aren't as frequent as what have been described but they are still there. Yellowrose one of my wounds from the sleeve has caused me quite a lot of pain and the muscle around has been really sore too. I was taking liquid Paracetamol and Tramadol lozenges. Anytime I coughed or sneezed it felt like I was being torn in two. The pain does ease with time I'm about 80% better than two weeks ago. I'm not sure f it is the same for band patients but my dietician recommended my diet to be as high in protein as possible to help with the healing process. Hope you get your wound sorted soon it's shocking that no one has been in touch about it.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

the best thing for the wind is peppermint cordial put a drop in a glass do not dilute it tho as this really helped with mine after i had my gastric band in oct 2012 goodluck on your weight loss.x

Hi all.

The nurse eventually called back and was very apologetic, she had lost my number, and couldn't get in touch...? Anyway she's given advice and I'm quite satisfied.

I've covered my wound and will pop to go on Tuesday.
The bladder problem she says is not a common side effect and I should also discuss this with my gp to investigate nerve damage due to swelling? She said she will call my surgeon on Tuesday and ask his advice on this also. I personally think its outrageous that I have to wait all over the bank holiday for advice. But hey ho. In hindsight I would not of booked my surgery for the Thursday before bank hol weekend!!!!

Yes I have been advised about the protein too,. Although struggling with eating. Ot should I say finding something I want to eat!
What dis everybody else eat during the 2 weeks liquid diet after surgery?
Again my dieticians have given no advice whatsoever.

Yellow Rose I do hope you are now feeling better?

Karlos - your post made me feel quite sad. What is it with nurses who think they look professional working in false nails and that they can do a proper caring role when they would be more concerned about breaking a nail? As a nurse since the days of Florence (well 30+ years) the decline in caring practice is heartbreaking. I'm not a perfect nurse by any stretch of the imagination and left the NHS several years ago but often have to send my present clientele to be tended to at the local hospital and some of the discharge letters or stories I get back are scary.
Good luck with your ongoing treatment Karlos and you tell them how it is should be done

Hi yellow rose

I wanted to reply to you yesterday but lost the post.....
Anyway I wanted to say I had/have bladder issues since my band 10 days ago.
When I woke up in my bedroom at the hospital I felt a bit odd and so I went for a wee. It felt really odd. In fact it was so odd that I asked the nurse if I had been catharterised? (Can't spell it.., you know when they put a tube in to help you wee).
She said it wasn't usual to do that. But then didn't do anything else.
Every time I went to the loo-usually out of habit rather than need I got an awful burning sensation.
This carried on and I asked a few more times if it was normal. I was told each time that it would pass.

It didn't pass and I still had the pain, almost like cystitis, every time I went to the loo when the nurse rang me after 4 days. She said to go to the GPs.

Anyway the pain has now gone, but I don't have any sensation. I have to guess when I need to loo. It is very odd.

Sorry to go on but I thought it was interesting that I seem to have the same thing going on as you and yet THG don't recognise it as a side effect!!

Hi thanks for posting, its good to hear from u.

I am expecting my post op call tomorrow, so will raise the issue then. I will comment back with what they say.

I too am taking myself off for a wee at certain times just so i don't cause any damage or anything. I'm certainly drinking fluids.. after all thats all we can have!

I still haven't needed to open my bowel. This has been five days now. I'm assuming this is just down to lack of food? I'm also taking cocodamol which can make people constipated I believe?

Back to bladder issues.. I have to really concentrate to be able to pass urine. I'm hoping its somethingthat will get better over time.

How are u feeling ten days on tt? Xx

Can't comment on the "wee" side of things but post surgery causes constipation plus codeine is a nightmare for lack of bowel function. I would go,to chemist and get lactolose. Works gently after a day or so. I was on codeine for 4 years and had to take a laxative throughout.
Hope thing clear soon!! X

I agree about the laxative. I stupidly waited until day 9 and boy oh boy I never want to go through that again.

I take tramadol every day so don't normally have any side effects of constipation.

My advice is take a laxative.

Hi, I've just come across your post and was wondering if you have received any answers regarding the lack of bladder sensation? I have the same problem! I'm just having to guess when I might need to go. Very confusing

Hi pinkprincess77
I'm now almost four weeks post surgery. I'm still in pain everyday with my stomach, but I am glad to say normal bladder sensation returned after two and a half weeks! I was the same as u, taking myself to the loo for a wee at regular intervals as I had literally no sensation. I didn't know if my bladder was full, even when passing urine there was no feeling. I could also keep pushing a little more out and then a little mote for probably 2-3 minutes. It was very strange. Sorry for tmi just trying to give an accurate/honest reply!
I'm eating normally now, no fluid in my band at all until next Wednesday. I've also come to a bit of a stop regards loosing weight.
The main problem I have now is terrible gas, I feel as if every sip of liquid or bite of food I swallow air. I'm chewing windeze like they are going out of bloody fashion!
I have to rock and lean forwards to bring up a burp which sound very unpleasant, it reminds me of how my grandad used to burp when he had taken antacids lol. If I don't shift the wind by burping I cannot sleep because of the pain, I was up until 3 am rocking to try and squeeze a burp out last night. I have a 1 year old and a 3 yr old that wake at 7 so I have been dead on my feet today! I'm going back to my provider (the hospital group) next week so will mention all of the above.

The wind is shocking isn't it. I'm 15 days post op with a gastric bypass and still have it. Some days I dont get it until the night time,other days, like today I've had it all day and nothing will shift it. It will all be worth it in the end :). Im sure your weight will start shifting again once you have your first fill x

Hello, hope you are feeling better now.

Whenever my dad has had a general anaesthetic he can't wee for ages after. Apparently its to do with the general relaxing all major organs and the bladder is one of the last to "wake up" this is what he has been told anyway.

As for the wind make sure you are eating really slow and chewing well. If this still doesn't help in the early days post op I had peppermint oil from holland and barrett, just a drop in warm water. Not nice but shifted the wind x x

I had the bladder problem when I had my son but I put it down to being catheterised for 2 weeks. It was prebably I conbination or that plus 2 generals in 3 days. To be hinest it makes a nice change because usually I'm rushing off to the toilet every 10-20mins. I do seem to be getting a little bit of sensation back now. I drink slow and not on to eating yet. I've also ordered some lids that fit on bottles that have a valve in them just to make sure I drink slowly whilst I'm out and about. My worst problem is if I'm talking and drinking at the same time thats when I don't concentrate on drinking slowly. I suppose I will master that with time x

Back