• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

surgery yesterday excruciating wind pain

yellowrose

I had my band at Dolan park yesterday with Mr sigurrdsson excuse spelling?
I had 3ml put in my band during surgery.

Couldn't keep sips of water down, so had to have fluid removed. He injected the newly made port hole which was very very painful. O cried my eyes out. He was so rough! I totally understand he was just doing his job. But had no pleasant bedside manner. The senior nurse seemed rather cross at him too for the way he performed his fluid removal.

I'm in lots of pain from surgery with swelling/bruising etc. But it's the wind pain.. I just cannot shift it. Has anyone got any suggestions? I can't move a muscle without shrieking out in pain! :(

Can't wait to be feeling better and start living :) Xxxx

I found being upright and walking helps. If you have someone there to pat you on the upper back like winding a baby then that helps. If not then tap your chest lightly but repeatedly with your fist. This should help dislodge it.
Others have said windeze helps too.
It's rubbish when you have it but it really does pass soon. Grit your teeth and you will soon feel better.
Hugs x

Thankyou for replies.. will I burp it up?
I've got some gel capsules but wasn't sure I could swallow them yet?

I've had windeze chewable ones, and gripe water, and peppermint tea. Lots of sips of water too. Still hurting so bad! Xx

move your arms gently in a windmill motion, walking, deflatine o windeze (boots own band is very good!) peppermint can also help.

Sorry you had to go thro that at the time of op, this is why some providers don't put anything in a time of surgery

Thankyou for replies.. will I burp it up?
I've got some gel capsules but wasn't sure I could swallow them yet?

I've had windeze chewable ones, and gripe water, and peppermint tea. Lots of sips of water too. Still hurting so bad! Xx

From what I gather the carbon dioxide they use to pump you up just gets absorbed back into the blood stream so it won't come up as a burp burps are from gases in your stomach ?

Just keep moving!

Absolutely on the button and the best advice you could get. You have to work the gas they pump into your stomach cavity to give them room to work, and the only way to get it out is to move your arse until it dissipates. Wind pain is dreadful Hun but keeping moving is as TLS said the only way to ease the pain.

I get it because my guts are screwed by the cancers, but even the three types of Morphine and Buscopan that I take won't get rid of it. Hope you feel better soon. Did you tell the doctor he was a knob and hurting you? I would have done, and in fact did just that the other day when didn't treat me with the care I want. He was told in my usual manner that he was a tit who needed to take more care of what he was doing. He apologised and hopefully learned a lesson but if we don't tell them and just accept it they'll never know and change.

I had one agency nurse who tried to take my temp on Wednesday night but nearly pushed the thermometer out through the other side of my head. I told her to get out and get me a nurse who knew how to do it properly without the risk of my ear drum being pierced and for her to stay out of my room. She had already messed up my drugs and broken a slow release capsule with her stupid false nails and expected me to scoop up the powder and swallow it. I said are you for real? That will release the full amount into my system in one hit?? Hopeless. No way would I put up with that crap.

Good luck with your healing x

Hello lovelies,

Well its been all a bit dramatic here! Last night I was having trouble breathing, only being able to take shallow breaths, barely able to speak.
Husband called emergency nurse who said call out of hours doc, out of hours doc said call 999 as I would need to be checked for pulmonary embolism. Ended up being taken by ambulance to a&e. Where I had ecg, and other tests, Everthing turned out fine and I was discharged with stronger painkillers.

The doctor last night concluded that the bruising and swelling im experiencing is putting pressure on my diaphragm causing me to do protective shallow breaths to prevent it hurting anymore.
He was satisfied it was just post op pain that was no cause for concern.

So! There I was like a crazy woman in my bath robe at the hospital - at 1 am lol
Still better safe than sorry.

I'm having trouble burping, I feel one start to happen and suddenly stops and turns into what I can only describe as a painful hiccup? Anybody else had this?

Managed to shift some wind eventually, so that's good.

The other issue I'm having is I still have no sensation when I need to wee. Im taking myself to the bathroom regularly to pass urine, but no sensations whatsoever... Again has anyone else experienced this?

Thankyou in advance for any suggestions or comments xxx

I'm having trouble burping, I feel one start to happen and suddenly stops and turns into what I can only describe as a painful hiccup? Anybody else had this?xxx

I had this for the first 4/5 days- the nurse who looked after me at hospital had also had band and she said it is very common not to be able to burp.

As a burper (!) I was most distressed about this but pleased to say normal burping has resumed- much to my husbands annoyance :)

X

Yes what you're getting is exactly the same as what I had.
My op was Saturday 4 may so 3 weeks exactly today going into week 4 tomorrow! :)

Hope you're getting on ok x

I'm comfortable now my painkillers have kicked in, it's good to know it gets easier. How is your weight loss going bex?

Can I ask did u continue to feel hunger after ur surgery. I'm still having hunger pains with growling tummy, but don't actually have much of an appetite.

The hunger pain can actually be quite intense.

I haven't needed the 'toilet' yet either? Sorry if tmi.. is this normal :/ Xxxx

Hi yellowrose,

The growling hunger type pains are common but they do pass. I had them for about 5 days and confused them with real hunger but a small serving of a hot/warm drink usually helped. It really isn't proper hunger, it's your tummy trying to heal plus head hunger as you are used to putting food in at regular intervals. Mine were worse about 5am (they used to wake me) I had to get up early, maybe 5am for first 2-3 weeks and have a warm drink. I'm 5 weeks now and it's stopped :)
It's early days and you will experience lots of weird sensations but if you are worried, just post as someone here will have had the same thing at some point and have some advise.
Good luck x

That's great advice Mrs df Thankyou.

As u said I am experiencing lots of new feelings. Some rather unpleasant. The hunger pain struck me at 4am actually! Also needed next lot of painkillers at that time too.

One thing that has happened today is that one of my wounds have opened :(
What should I do? My hubs has called the emergency nurse twice at Dolan park but so far nobody has returned his call.

Its not causing me anymore pain than the other's. Its just open.

Still having pain when I breathe in around my stomach. It's all so sore.

So I must ask Mrs df, what's life like five weeks in? Are u okay? Xx

That's great advice Mrs df Thankyou.

As u said I am experiencing lots of new feelings. Some rather unpleasant. The hunger pain struck me at 4am actually! Also needed next lot of painkillers at that time too.

One thing that has happened today is that one of my wounds have opened :(
What should I do? My hubs has called the emergency nurse twice at Dolan park but so far nobody has returned his call.

Its not causing me anymore pain than the other's. Its just open.

Still having pain when I breathe in around my stomach. It's all so sore.

So I must ask Mrs df, what's life like five weeks in? Are u okay? Xx

Huni, you need to get your wound looked at as it prob needs re stitching. It's Sunday so go to casualty just to make sure incase it gets infected or call the new emergency out of hrs number. 101 I think???
5 weeks on, I'm all back to normal. No pain. Wouldn't even know I've had it done except I,eat less!!!!
Seriously though,,it is a lifestyle change. It is possible to over eat or make the wrong food choices. I measure everything and count protein and calories daily. I eat protein and veg first then if I have spare cals I may have small amounts of good carbs.
Only lost 16lbs but I am on the smaller BMI on the WLS scale so it's not gonna drop,off massively.
Good luck huni :) x

Back