• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

O/t - got my date for gallbladder op!!

BlueDiamond

Hi

To all of those who knew I finally got my date for gallbladder op (14th sept) It is being done on the private sector paid for by the NHS......Can anyone who has had this done try and give me some idea what too expect etc ! ! The docs etc have explained what to expect but it would be nice for someone who has had it done to give me their view of what they experienced.

Thanks in advance!:p

All the best - MeJulie xx

sorry, no experience of this but wanted to wish you luck xx

Are you having key hole? I had mine removed about 12 years ago. I was out of hospital very quickly. I think they send you home even sooner now. Initially I felt like I'd been kicked in the side byu a horse, but pain killers helped, and I soon got over it. I had a month off work, but it does depend on your job. x x

you are really lucky - sure yours will be keyhole. I had mine out 21 years ago and it was open surgery - drips, drains and 10 days in hospital. Think its pretty much in and out these days and no more pain!

Hi all

Yes it is keyhole surgery , been told 1/2 nights in hospital, they still have the drains etc as the doc explained all that.

Thanks for your replies

Hi you will be so pleased to get rid of that, I think the pain of that is much worse than child birth. I had mine removed about 5 years ago. I went into hospital the day before the op and came out 2 days after the op. I was in quite a bit of pain but it was internal bruising. Painkillers sorted that. I was off work for 5 weeks but that was because I work in a school and couldn't risk the children running into my stomach. It is well worth having it done. I had gallstones for 5 years before I had mine removed. My sister and my mum have both had theirs removed too. You will be fine and having it done in the private sector paid by the nhs will be thoroughly looked after.

I had one drain in but my sister didn't have any.

I had mine removed 4 years ago. Been told by my doctor that I'm the youngest he has known to have the op :eek:

I had no pain whatsoever when I came round. Obviously, this had alot to do with the morphine.

The only discomfort I had was trying to stand up straight as I felt like all my incisions were pulling a bit :(

Oh, I had the op on a Tuesday morning, first in, and I was home by the Wednesday tea time :)

xxx

I had mine out about 5 years ago when I was 21 and I was soooo pleased to get rid of it!! YOu will be in and out of hospital before you know it! You will not be in theatre all that long and then back to the ward and start on some fluids and get you eating something light in the evening if your up to it. The only advice I can give you is TAKE THE PAIN KILLERS!! i know some people say they can do without but if they offer you something then take it as it will help you to move around quicker and easier which will help your recovery in the long run!! Good luck with it!!

Piece of cake, less pain after the op i thought than when you had an attack of the pain.... And yes Sharron child birth is easier lol xx

good luck with your op julie, i hope it all goes smoothly for you.

liz x

Good luck with the op - glad you have a date.

I had mine out about 12 years ago when I was 28. I was ill with it off and on for months and was given pethidine to take when pain started (great drug - not much good when working tho - it might have helped with getting through the teaching day with a rosey glow when trying to work with my troubled teens!).

I kept my biggest gallstone which is the size of a birds egg (not quite chicken size) and regularly bring it out to the horror of others.

I had keyhole (quite a big one as it happened due to large size of stones). The post op was not too painful and 2 nights in hosp. The morphine helped though and the total relief once healed was incredible. I will never forget the pain of gallstones - I don't think you can describe it to someone who hasn't had it can you.

Lv from Jen x

I had mine out 8 years ago, and like someone else said the pain after you have had it done is nothing like the pain you get when you have an attack, you will be so glad when its gone. I went into theatre at 1.30pm and i was home the following morning at 11am, i had mine keyhole and had no drains or drips, going to sit down and stand up is the worse, and trying to get comfy with pillows ( well for me that was the case as i had trapped wind in my shoulder ) use plenty of pillows. All the very best with your operation :) X

Hi Julie

Well done on getting your date for this operation...I still have mine intact but if I ever get WLS he may take it out...I have had 2 Gall Bladder attacks and like many others have said, it has to be one of the worse pains ever...However I had no stones, it just gets inflamed...Had scan last Friday and is nice and healthy right now...So can really empathise with you...and I'm glad your having it out.

It's good that the pain will be short lived, that's got to be better than fearing the next attack.

How does the body function without a gall bladder though?...Would you, do you notice any difference?

Good luck

(((hugs)))

Best of luck with it - I had mine out years back via key hole - don't recall any pain at all post-op, but plenty of it pre-op!! I went back to work nursing within about a week. They did however manage to muck mine up quite spectacularly, which caused a couple of re-admissions but that was rare. It's all fine now. I still get phantom pains occasionally when eating high fat foods such as cheesy stuff - or at least I used to!

And your gall bladder is like your appendix - not particularly of any use to the body - you are supposed to eat much less fatty food as the gall bladder is the organ that breaks down & processes the fats, but I haven't found any difference whatsoever.

Back