• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

o/t Organ Doners

thinkbethin

Hi all!! Just a question about organ doners. Are you a doner and if not would you please consider it.Whether it be heart, lungs, kidney or anything that can be used after your death. The reason I'm asking you all this is because my little sister at 36 years old is on the transplant list with papworth hospital for a new heart. I never realised how many people were waiting for one organ or another, and I never thought we'd be waiting for someone to die so my sister could have a more bearable life. I don't mean to preach but would just like everyone to realise how important it is to make this decision yourself and make sure you are on the organ doners system. Leaving the decision to your family after you've gone is too heart breaking for them but if they know what you want them to do it would be so much easier for them. If you're not already on the doner list please consider it. There are so many people waiting for a better life. I'm sorry if I've offended or upset anyone with this thread but I'm on a downer tonight. The reason being I'm going down to see my sister tomorrow and it breaks my heart watching her suffer and have to fight for every breath.
Thanks for reading and please, please consider becoming an organ donerxxxx

Gaynor...I'm so sorry your Sister is going through this...I know if it was my little Sis I'd be to carry off :cry:

I always used to be signed up for organ donation when I was a blood donor...my Hubby knows they can have anything of mine that's of use but do you have to still sign something to say that? let me know what and where...I'll sign it again :hug99:

sending you big hugs and lots of love to get you through tomorrow xxx

I will get the number for you and you can ring to do it. I did mine years ago on my driving licence but there's a system now that all hospitals have access to. Thankyou Yvonne. The numbers in the car and the cars at the garage so will put the number on here tomorrow.

This is simply my opinion but I truly believe that we desparetely need to adopt the 'opt in' system...government keeps knocking it back & I can't understand it at all..

'Opt in' means that every adult is considered a donor - unless they have elected to opt out - to do this they place their details on a national register - which is checked upon sudden death...that way unless you are on the opt out register your organs will be used to save sum1 elses life - it also removes the burden from the medical staff of having to brouch the subject with the grieving relatives...this system works with great success in Oz...

I really wish your sister all the best & pray a donor is found xxx

debs xx

Sorry posted the same thing twice!

Last edited:
I work in hospitals and one of my recent attatchments was to the renal unit, it is amaizing how many people need new kidneys. The unit I was on was open 24/7 to get all the people through who need dialysis.

I'm so sorry about your sister, and I hope things go her way soon (sorry if it is terrible saying that as someone else has to die).

You are right about the system needing to change, I think you may have got the 'lables' mixed up though (or its late and i have not read it properly) . At the moment the UK has an 'opt in' policy for organ donation so it is your choice if you opt to do it what we need due to the organ shortage and what the government keeps toying with is a 'opt out system' so every one in the UK would be automatically considered to be an organ donor and if you have strong views you have to opt out much in the same way we opt in now.

Personally I am registered as is everyone in my close cicle of friends and family. I think it is also important to remember that there are things you can do to help still in life, like giving blood or registering on the bone marrow register.

Sorry to hyjack and waffle on but like gayner I think this is so very very important. Xxx

Last edited:
I am a donor too. did it thro me d/l also. me body parts aint no good to me when I am brown bread -LOL put em on ebay for all I care, If it gives someone else life after I am gone - whhoooo bloody raaaaaaaa I say

All the best - MeJulie xx

Thankyou Julie, people don't always realise how much their organs are worth to someone in need after they have gone.xxx

I know wot u mean and understand I know some loved ones and ppl dont like to let body parts go, which I also understand, but the way I look at it is, if I aint using it no more, they only gonna send me to hell anyway (heres hoping) lol, and they aint no use to me, give to someone who can live on and take a little part of me with them, and in them I live on . I know not e1 is the same , but each to their own .
xx

I am also on the list for anything that could prove useful. So is my other half.

I hope your sister gets a new heart soon....:(

I'm the same Julie and if I could I would give my sister my heart. She's so special to me as is everyones sister but with what she's been through so far she really does deserve to have some quality of life.

Awe Gaynor :cry: you got me started now :cry: I not got a sister, I will say a prayer for her now . xx may the angels watch over her in this difficult time, in Love and Light xx(p.s wots her name so I can include it in my prayer, xx )

Aww Julie you got me crying too now. Her name is Helen and she's just an amazing person. She's the youngest of 5 siblings so has always been the baby of the family bless her and she is absolutely adored by my kids. Thankyou for the prayers Julie. I'm going to see her tomorrow and I know I'm going to be in a right old state because I can't stop crying at the thought of it. Silly buggar are'nt Ixx

Aww Julie you got me crying too now. Her name is Helen and she's just an amazing person. She's the youngest of 5 siblings so has always been the baby of the family bless her and she is absolutely adored by my kids. Thankyou for the prayers Julie. I'm going to see her tomorrow and I know I'm going to be in a right old state because I can't stop crying at the thought of it. Silly buggar are'nt Ixx

All done Gaynor x x and no ur not a silly bugger (well maybe sometimes:D) but not over this its the love coming through for your sister, I gave big man upstairs a word in his ear, hope he heard me ;)...............xx

hi gaynor sorry to hear yr sis is going through this, if i could help give any thing to help others then i would xxx

pm me if u need 2 hun ok im always here 4 u xx

Im so sorry to hear about your sister and I hope and pray that her heart becomes available really soon.
I can fully relate to your feelings as my daughter had a heart transplant at 21months old. please contact me if i can offer you any support at this very difficult time.
my husband and i are donors and my family too.
take good care of yourself.
you and your family and special sisiter are in my thoughts and prayers. xx

Im a doner - they can have what they want from me once Im gone - it will be of no use! Made very sure it was written all over my notes prior to surgery too.

I know a guy who decided to become an altruistic living kidney doner (donate his kidney to a stranger). He passed all the medical tests and the psych ones and they found a match for his organ. Two weeks prior to surgery, he decided to tell his parents who went mad so he bottled it - I find that appalling and told him so. He is in his 40s.

Back