• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Waiting Times

Hattin

I know you probably dont have stats for this, but i was just wondering where the shortest NHS waiting times are? How soon after you saw your GP were you assessed and then operated on?

I'm been on the waiting list for 2 years and cant even get an assessment (believe me, i've been trying).

At this point my joints are starting to hurt. My job is a physical one and this could stop me working. I'm so sick of trying here that I would even consider moving if it would help me get this surgery.

Oh, and my BMI is 55

Hi,
I saw my G.p for the first time on august 11th and when I hadn't heard anything by oct emailed my PCT who hadn't recieved my application. So rang the G.P and got it resent(there had been a mix up with fax numbers) and recieved the go ahead for funding within 5 days. Just waiting on first appointment at Birmingham now and am told that once I see the team and get put on a diet, if I succeed at that then I will get referred to surgeon and if ok given an op date within 18 weeks.
Don't know how long the referral processes take of course!!
Good luck
Leanne x

I'm in Stoke. I saw the doctor for a referal in June, saw a surgical consult in July and had blood tests, a dietition in August, went for endo tests in Sept, saw the surgeon and endo in Oct who have put me on the milk diet to lose 2stone, and will be having the surgery a few weeks after losing that. So all in all about 5-6 months I reckon.

Which PCT are you under?

I first saw my Dr about a referal in August 08 Saw Dr at the hospital in October 08 had op 2nd Jan 09 16 weeks all done

Dont know where you are but if you are in London and deemed an exceptional case, the Whittington will fast track you and that includes hassling your PCT for funding. My wait was exactly 12 months from initial consultation to surgery which seems pretty standard.

hello, well i was with my gp in feb 2008, weight management oct 08 for 6 months, saw my surgeon in aug 2009 and had sleep apnea a few weeks ago hoping to have op by feb so 2 years here in salford manchester from very start to finish (fingers n toes crossed) x

Which PCT are you under?

I'm in Scotland, we dont have PCT's here. I come under NHS Lothian.

I am still in contact with someone in public health who I'm told is the person to speak to about funding, but there is no specific funding set aside for this procedure.

While looking or information i did find a quetion asked under the freedom of information act, and only 33 of these operations have been done on the NHS since 2005.

Now, I could contnue to hassle people and even go to my MP or MSP, but asking for help hasnt exactly gotten me very far yet (plus i hate hasseling people). And, there are many people, much ore knowledgable than i am, saying that NHS here should be doing 300 of these operations a year. If they wont listen to them, why should they listen to me?

saw gp in july, fundin approved august, group assestment at spire manchester a few weeks after that and am seein the surgeon 29th of this month for a consultation xx

south west londoni had my gp referal on the 2nd feb 09 and had op on 15th oct 09

I am in Salford and saw my GP in March 2008 had to do 6 months weight management and couldn't start that (as they were too busy) until August 2008. Finally got my operation on 23 July but only because I really pushed to have it done in the school holidays so agreed to go with another surgeon whilst Mr Amouri was on holiday otherwise it wouldn't have been done then either. It is frustrating when people from other PCT's get there's done before you if they don't have to do the weight management part, especially when you have done 36 weeks prior on lipotrim too!

AJ Crafts, how did you get them to give you another surgeon ? did you have to have sleep apnea phsch assesment etc.. I started my 6 months in October 2008 and have met surgeon done tests etc.. but no date as yet. They say my name only went on list 6th Oct this year and they aim for 18 weeks which takes it to feb !

As many people say on this site it is a postcode lottery. It depends on your PCT the type of trust your dealing with (normal vs. foundation) also the amount of chasing you are willing to do.

I have experience with three seperate trust and not one stated the same waiting times. In cases where the pct is taking long to process funding it can sometimes be a simple thing of chasing them so that your name is on their to do list.

The longest wait I have been told is 1yr and the shortest is 16 weeks.

The longest wait I have been told is 1yr and the shortest is 16 weeks.

Well you can amend that to 2 years now, and still no end in sight. Not even an assessment.

I've been hasseling for the past year now, but no one is taking me very seriosuly, no one seems bothered. It took over a month to get a completely passive agressive reply from the barriatric nurse. She didnt answer any questions i asked, or she had no answers, and basically implied i needed to understand why i was overweight. Yeah, thanks, i know why. If i could sort this myself do you really think i'd want major surgery? Do some people do that for kicks, or something?

I still havent received the consent forms necessary for the public helath manager to review things.

My worry is that if i keep pestering these people they'll black list me or something.

And my GP couldnt be less interested in helping.

Looks like Stoke is the place to be. Seriosuly considering moving, or at least getting an address there.

Back