• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Obsessed with the scales/How often do you weigh?

phatmomma

Following weight loss surgery is it possible to become obsessed with your weight?

I know on diets i've done before it wasn't easy to not get on the scales before weigh in to see if/how much i'd lost....

Am just wondering if post ops are weighing more than they would have done without the op doing regular diets?

Hi Julie I know I shouldn't but I weigh myself every day and when I weigh and don't lose anything I get disheartened and I know I should only weigh myself once a week

Anez xxx

I never possessed any till just before my surgery, then I got some, then I started weighing myself daily post-op, then this morning my hubby snatched them cruelly from my breast and locked them in the garage and hid the key.

That'll be that then. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I absolutely weigh more than I did pre-op since I hadn't owned a scale in years and was convinced they were all evil. It is very, very easy to become obsessed with your weight post-op. At first I was only weighing once a week and that was fine, every Wed like clockwork. Then I joined one of those weightloss challenges on another part of the forum and started weighing every day hoping to add to my challenge total. Even after the challenge was over I continued to weigh every day and I was feeling fine about it until...My weight loss slowed to about a 1/1.5 pounds per week. Then I was agonizing every day when I would see no movement or only a few ounces gone. Now I have become strict with myself and have returned to once a week on Wed (my surgery was on a wed so that works for me). Don't become a slave to your scale, if weighing frequently has a negative impact on your mood stop immediately. Hand your scales over to a loved one who will only release them on pre-determined days!

Be good to yourself and extinguish behaviours that are harmful and punishing yourself with the scales is harmful!

Nic;)

I never possessed any till just before my surgery, then I got some, then I started weighing myself daily post-op, then this morning my hubby snatched them cruelly from my breast and locked them in the garage and hid the key.

That'll be that then. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Good man, don't want you with an OCD now do we?

I weigh everyday and I usually lose a pound a day I didn't today so i'm really peed off lol

Clare x

I get weighed once a week at boots, but then found I was weighing in everyday day on the wii fit to "just keep an eye it" but since I have stopped doing it everyday and doing it once mid week and once at boots I seem to be able to eat better and don't have to keep being sick and am eating a wider variety of food now.

I weigh everyday and I usually lose a pound a day I didn't today so i'm really peed off lol

Clare x

First of all well done on your weightloss so far. A pound a day, well that is amazing and you must understand it is temporary. It would not be healthy for you to continue at that rate for very long unless you had over 200lbs to lose. A stone a month for the first few months is a realistic target met by many people so just be happy about your 'big loss' days so far and don't put so much pressure on yourself. You have taken a big step having surgery and now you have to let it do its job while you get your head around your new way of eating. Relax and enjoy the ride to thin, it can be fun if you let yourself enjoy it instead of getting anxious!

Nic:D

I'm just going to wait in between visits to the hospital for my regular checks :D

I don't want to become obsessed. I want to know I'm losing weight, but my belt and my trousers will tell me that I am, how much exactly, I'm not totally bothered about knowing, I just will leave it till the visits![/QUOT

This is exactly how I feel. I found myself stressing if the scales had'nt moved every day so now I just get weighed at the gp's once a month and if I don't go I don't bother. As you say I like my clothes telling me I'm losing the weight and I feel better learning it this way. (I know I'm strange)

Since my op i have obviously lost weight - my mother in law is more interested in my weight loss than me. I do weigh myself once a week usually Monday morning but to be honest i couldn't care two hoots about my weight loss or how much i am losing. That my seem hard to believe but as i have had a rough time since my op my weight loss is the last thing i care about and i am just concentrating on getting stronger xx

Its nearly two weeks since I last weighed myself. I'm like Topsy, I'd prefer to get myself well rather than worry about the weight coming off.

Having said that I know its coming off because I'm having a real bra problem. I'm having to go out and get a smaller size yet again..

Since my op i have obviously lost weight - my mother in law is more interested in my weight loss than me. I do weigh myself once a week usually Monday morning but to be honest i couldn't care two hoots about my weight loss or how much i am losing. That my seem hard to believe but as i have had a rough time since my op my weight loss is the last thing i care about and i am just concentrating on getting stronger xx

Topsy, we must have the same Mother-in Law :eek:

I saw mine for the first time in weeks and her chin was almost on the floor :8855:

I'd just been to a funeral so was rather smartly dressed...it was great seeing her jaw drop :giggle:eek:h yeah!!!!

Its nearly two weeks since I last weighed myself. I'm like Topsy, I'd prefer to get myself well rather than worry about the weight coming off.

Having said that I know its coming off because I'm having a real bra problem. I'm having to go out and get a smaller size yet again..

Bonita, I went and got fitted for a new bra yesterday to a shop that is quite famous in the North East called 'Sadie the Bra Lady'
It was amazing...I was wearing a 42DD and she looked at me, explained that they don't use tape measures and hey presto...put me into a 36F....:eek::eek::eek:....I've not been into a 36 anything since I was at school :D

my booblies are right up front now leaving the belly wayyyyyy behind......:woohoo:

Bonita, I went and got fitted for a new bra yesterday to a shop that is quite famous in the North East called 'Sadie the Bra Lady'
It was amazing...I was wearing a 42DD and she looked at me, explained that they don't use tape measures and hey presto...put me into a 36F....:eek::eek::eek:....I've not been into a 36 anything since I was at school :D

my booblies are right up front now leaving the belly wayyyyyy behind......:woohoo:

Ha Ha.. Bet that feels good. I got measured about three weeks back and had gone from a 48HH to a 42F. Now my 42f's are too big, but will have to do for a bit. Its a waste of money getting some more now methinks.

Back