• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh Blimey....panic stations

siana58

Hi all, this is all new to me. I have a familiar story, up and down weight over last 20 years, today I am heavier than I have ever been with a BMI of 37 with high BP and joint issues, I reckon I have about 7 stone to get shot of. Was doing OK-ish until I had a car crash a year ago - really did my head in and I put on loads. Was then working out with personal trainer etc to lose weight but then in September got a virus that wiped me out - since then it feels like I have fallen into a black hole of fat! Decided on a band, have seen one surgeon and he has agreed in principle to operate - having a second opinion on Monday as this second clinic is nearer where I work and likely to be more convenient for follow ups/fills etc. So in between first and second consultations have become more panic struck by the day - am I doing the right thing, I keep hearing about retching saliva and PBs, wind etc. What about bowels?I don't want to tell anyone about the op but have a responsible job, I have a social life - is having a band with all these side effects going to get difficult, will I have to go public? Will I PB in a presentation? Can I never have a steak again? Would I be better with a sleeve? Quite unprepared for the rollercoaster of emotions this journey has sent me on - burst into tears looking at a dress in a magazine the other day because I suddenly thought that I might be able to fit into something like that in 12 months, then immediately got panic struck about whether I could eat small bits of naan bread in the curry house.:wave_cry:. So up and down - I really want to lose the weight but I cant by diet and exercise alone, and at my age I cant afford to put it back on again - but the limitations and side effects are really concerning me - I know I need to get a bloody grip....it helps just writing it down

Hi and welcome to a great site, you'll get lots of answers and support here to help you through the process.
Sounds like your head's spinning a bit :)
Can't answer your questions about a band I'm afraid as I had a bypass. I did want a band initially as it seemed far less drastic but having discussed it with the surgeon we came to the conclusion a bypass would suit me better. Could you discuss the different types of surgery at your appointment?
Whether you tell people is your choice entirely, there are people here who have been open and told everyone, there are people who have kept it private and told no-one. You just have to do what's best for you and you'll learn to manage your new lifestyle and any side effects that come along.

Good luck whatever you decide x

Hi and welcome, its a huge decision, a life changer, especially if you opted for the sleeve which is what I did in the end, for my own personal success reasons. I spent aaling time thinking about my decision and after finally realising I could not lose the weight alone I went for the sleeve.
The foamy saliva and vomit usually occurs after eating either too much of certain foods..for me its anything deep fried or ice cream so I avoid it.
I love my sleeve, the best decision ever.
As for curry...i wouldnt even go for a curry with the sleeve...one i no longer enjoy spicy food and two i can hardly eat anything so theres not much on the menu to choose from, starters are a no as most are deep fried. I tried a few bits but all i can manage is a popadom and a chapatti.
I went out for lunch today and had a childs meal..i am putting a photo on my diary of how much of that I managed.
It really changes your eating habits and you have to be prepared for that, even the band reduced what you can consume...you have to decide whats more important to you, your weight loss and health or eating.
I decided on the first and honestly could not recommend the sleeve any more highly.
I cant comment on the band, but many on here will no doubt give some advice.

Good luck with whatever you decide ..

hello siana58
sounds like you have a number of issues not just the weight to wrap your head around as it looks like you have had quite a time of it
its normal to be worried about life after WLS I think most people think about how different life will be fingers cross all for the better
I had a bypass as it was the best thing for me and so far 1 day shy of 4 months all is going great
I wish you loads of luck ,keep us all up dated with your progress

Back