• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Panic stations!!!

Alia

I'm in a state of panic. The distric nurse came to me yesterday and said it was ok to remove my staples. She started at the top and took out 5 and then decided she would only take out every other one as the top bit where she had take out the 5 staples was n't looking too good, basically it had opened up a little bit. She covered the open bit with some anti biotic dressing and a huge plaster and said someone would be coming saturday to check on progress. I just went for a wash and noticed the plaster was coming away so I pulled it back and found that the top bit was now pretty much completely open. I suppose its about an inch in length.

Has any one else had this problem and how was it resolved. I'm thinking now to tell the nurse not to even remove the rest of the staples tomorrow as I'm scared this open bit will grow in size and then its going to be a hard task to get it healed. Advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm sitting here scared to move incase it opens more :(

hey there, don't panic - you'll be fine but it does sound like it needs some attention. Why don't you call NHS Direct and they can advise you on what to do? I think their number is 0845 46 47. I would guess you'll need some steri strips putting over the gaping part to hold it together.

:eek:Yikes hun, so sorry. If the doc says it is okay, why don't you try liquid plasters, it is like super glue and holds the skin together. It might make it more 'secure'. You can buy liquid plasters at Boots.

Hope you get it sorted.;)

Hi
Sorry this has happened, this can happen bcos of a variety of reasons but is usually infection, u might need oral antibiotics, unfortunatley you cant use glue if the wound is older than 24 hours, so the nurse will have to put steristrips on for you, or a dressing that will aid healing something called aquacell is quite good.
often it actually looks worse than it is, and it is usually just superficial and will heal well with a bit of TLC, the nurse who remoes your staples should be able to check whether removing any more of them will result in the same problem , but they have been there a while now and really do need to be removed, i would imagine that the nurse will come every couple of days to check the wound and will either use aquacel or steristrips, if u are really worried you could always go along to a and e to have it checked out, its difficult to assess without seeing it, but in my experience you will be ok and it will all heal well in time.
Keep your chin up, try not to worry too much, the nurses will know what they are doing im sure.
Take care
Helen
xxxxx

i agree it sounds like an infection to me also as infection can stop the wounds healing correctly, is the wound red and agry or weaping? if so get them to take a swab and find out whats causing it.

liz x

Morning Alia

Not sure if this will help but one of my wounds wouldnt heal,it wasnt a big part of the wound about 1.5cm,but never the less it was still open and seeping for about a month after the Op.i had a steristrip over it and a dressing which i used to change everyday or everyother day depending on how much it leaked.I also found if i removed the steristrip because it looked like it was healing when i went in the shower it would reopen.

I did go to the doctors and they gave me a course of anti-biotics,I would advise you do the same as like the others have said you dont want it getting infected.

Hope it helps a little.
Take care and dont take any chances.

Di
x

Thanks every one for taking the time to reply to me and for your advice. The nurse is coming out today and will just have to see what they say. I think I'm feeling nervous about it as a friend of mine had the bypass and then a few months later had a twisted hernia so they opened the same incision for her bypass and nearly 3 years later she still has a hole about 5 cm across that has n't healed and she has been to hell and back. Initially her wound was so wide and deep you could have put your fist inside and I so don't want that to be me after seeing how she has suffered.

I'll keep you posted but I agree that I think I need anti biotics as the sites of the other staples are quite red and angry looking although there is no puss or anything seeping out.

xxx

Thanks guys, knowing there are people out there that care really helps.

A different District Nurse came out today and she was quite optimistic about my wound. She said the open part did n't look too bad at all (to me it looked like the start of a huge cravess lol) but said that we needed to be very careful with it. She put some kind of antiseptic gauze on it and covered it over.

She called the ward I was on at the hospital to check what they would want her to do and they agreed the staples could be left in till monday when the wound could be reassessed and if neccessary could even be stretched to wednesday next week. She said the redness was n't infection but that it was a sign that the staples were needing to come out.

Fingers crossed this won't develop into anything major and my wound will heal up in good time so I can get out and about again.

That's good news hope you feel a lot more reassured now chick...xx

Yes thanks I'm feeling much more reassured although I'm very much conscious that its open and trying to make sure I don't do any wrong moves

did the nurse take a swab to check for the mrsa bug ?

Try keeping a cushion close at hand and if coughing stretching etc clasp it to you its amaizing how much it eases things and stops you over stretching etc.
Glad yr more reasured
take care and take it easy
HC

did the nurse take a swab to check for the mrsa bug ?

Hi Liz, no she did n't take any swabs but do you think she should have done? If thats the case I can ask her about it when she comes on monday, I don't have a clue about these things

Try keeping a cushion close at hand and if coughing stretching etc clasp it to you its amaizing how much it eases things and stops you over stretching etc.
Glad yr more reasured
take care and take it easy
HC

Hi there, thanks for that bit of advise. I was just looking at your weight loss so far and its amazing, you must be so please, I hope the weight comes off like that for me too. I think once these staples come out I'll be much more mobile and be able to get up and about and start walking and doing things around the house.

Well done!!!

if its not oozing then it should be ok, if it is oozing then a swab should be taken to find out whats causing it to be on the safe side.

Back