• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh No...return of my apetite

jayniemac

Day 7 post op...starting to feel a bit better physically but the dreaded hunger pangs seem to be coming back...UGH :(

Have done the full week of liquids. My surgeons plan says liguids for 1-2 weeks but in week two you can have a moist soft diet...so think il have mushies, any suggestions?

Am allowed my first fill after 4 weeks tho thank god!!

Im just so used to eating and binging, im not sure if its mainly just my urges to eat rather than the hunger. On the plus, ive lost 8lbs :)

Hey well done on the weightloss. 8lbs is brilliant.
As for mushies anything that can be mashed down with a fork like cauliflower cheese, shepards pie, ocean pie, scrambled eggs etc. Take small mouthfulls. I find that's one of the hardest things...putting smaller amounts in you mouth and chewing and chewing and chewing. It takes a lot of getting used to.
It's totally normal to feel hungry, I did too. Also binging was a way of life for me and is a hard habit to break, but I when I get an urge to binge I tell myself "you have gone to the extent of having surgery to lose weight so don't bugger it up"!
Head hunger can be difficult to deal with but it's all part of the journey.
Good luck and we are all here for you.
xxxxx

WHAT ARE HUNGER PAINS LIKE?

I had my band fitted on 5th June and I find I am having pain in my sides, under my ribs! I'm not sure if this is hunger or what, I don't feel hungry but I think my body is needing food!

Any advice would be gratefully received.... I am coming to the end of week 2 of liquids only!

Thanks .... Sally x

I started solids on thursday and I don't think I am eating slow enough. This was always one of my problems gulping my food down. I have tried all the tips but still see myself guzzling it down. Any other tips? x

I started solids on thursday and I don't think I am eating slow enough. This was always one of my problems gulping my food down. I have tried all the tips but still see myself guzzling it down. Any other tips? x

It does take some time getting used too eating differently, take it from someone who used to be a great gulper BIG BIG time, and the best tip I can advise someone ( I still do it nearly a year out) I use a small teaspoon to eat every meal I have - It works wonders - Try it you wont be disappointed and dont forget to chew chew chew xxx

Thank you Blue Diamond I am so glad there is another gulper out there! But I was so pleased to start eating with a knife and fork again I thought I could do it - alas not, the gulper in me keeps kicking in. Right tomorrow, teaspoon here I come:D xx

I was practising eating and chewing chewing chewing wee small bits of my dinner the other night - God what a nightmare - when I forked up a normal mouthful I couldnt believe how much I stuffed into my mouth and I barely chewed it at all. I'm getting worried I won't be able to do it :(

I went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday and it took me so long to have a small bowl of rice and noodles that it just seemed ridiculous. I had serious jaw ache by the time I finished so obviously I too, was a gulper!

The food doesn't taste as lovely though when you have to chew it so much it makes a paste!

Hey ho... That's life now eh?

Keep chewing guys!!! ?

Mash and gravy or mash and grated cheese,mash and soup sounds yuck but you will eat anything that stays down!
Teaspoon is the way to go and kind of sip your food off it like eating icecream.Enjoy!

I went to a Chinese restaurant yesterday and it took me so long to have a small bowl of rice and noodles that it just seemed ridiculous. I had serious jaw ache by the time I finished so obviously I too, was a gulper!

The food doesn't taste as lovely though when you have to chew it so much it makes a paste!

Hey ho... That's life now eh?

Keep chewing guys!!! ?

Hi Moulin - at a month out it will be a struggle to get rice and noodles down, they are the type of foods most banders are told to avoid post op. They are obviuosly carbs plus rice can swell in the pouch and cause discomfort or vomiting, noodles combined with the oil / sauce they are served with will either slide through in the early days or stick with good restrcition.

Maybe things have changed since I was banded but Im pretty sure most are advised this. Plus at a month out I was still on soft food.

Were you advised rice and pasta were ok? :confused:

Hi Mazza,

I had my first consult with the dietitian last Thursday and she said to go onto crunchy foods from the weekend, including soft noodles, jacket pots with skin, cous cous and loads of other stuff. She didn't say rice but I tried it and it was ok. She told me not to calorie count and that I shouldnt go longer than 4 - 5 hours without eating

Got first fill on 13th July so it will probably all change!

Xx

Back