• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oh them scales!

DaisyMaesy

Are the bane of our lives are they not?

Over the last few weeks just for the science of it, I have been weighing myself three times per day to see what differences there are.
My weight it seems can vary in 24 hours by as much as 6lbs and not necessarily lighter first thing in the morning as I always thought, is it any wonder when we get to WW or SW weigh in time that we have not lost as much as we thought?

So what do we do, should we throw away the scales and make the effort to go to boots or the like and get weighed once a month or maybe even wait between hospital appointments?

Do we keep the scales and get upset because the weightloss is stalling

Should we sign up at the GPs so that the nurse or dietician can regularly weigh us? (Might see if our surgery does something like this)

Or join weightwatchers etc (mind you I thought the point of this was not to need to go down this route but it does seem for some it is still a requirement so who knows if we will need to?)

or is the urge to see how much we have lost too compelling and we carry on as we always have, trying to make the scales make us as light as possible?

What are your thoughts on this?

Go by your clothes,buy a smaller pair of jeans and keep trying them on,weigh yourself when you can fasten them!

I don't plan on buying any as I will be altering as I go where possible so might have to measure by new knickers LOL

i have my scales out of site in a cupboard in the bathroom, and every now and then, about 2-3 weeks, i get them out and weigh myself, then they go straight back, i only lose in dribs and drabs now, so never expect any big losses anymore, but have found that inches are coming off still.

I'm only going to weight myself once a week or even once a fortnight then once a month.

I'd lost 2 stones last summer regained a stone pre surgery, typically.

In 3 weeks post surgery I've now lost 23lbs... third week only 1lb so far, but everyone says I'm shrinking... my big belly has half gone already.

Plus I'm in elasticated waist size 16's trousers, but 20-22's tops.

I'm determined not to live by the scales and I think they are a nuisance... so I'm seriously thinking of giving the scales a wide berth sooner rather than later.

Love and hugs xxx

Nine months out and I'll admit I still weigh myself every morning :rolleyes: but I accept the variations and only record my weight once a week. I measure my progress more by how my clothes fit. I feel more of a sense of achievement therefore when I lose inches and go down a size than when I lose another stone.

I think my scales are knackered anyway - one day I was 23st, the next 22 8.... it all depends on which floor tile I put them on.

I'm doing weekly weighs for now until my op cos I have a target to meet, then post op I think I will try to just have a monthly weigh in to keep me on track but mostly go by my clothes and how I feel in myself, otherwise I'll probably get obsessed and be stepping on them all the time...

Nova, I agree, I weight differently depending which way the scales are facing on the floor... it's a lottery at times...

Love and hugs xxx

Hi all,
i too have some rubbish scales at home, the difference between them and the one at my slimming world class is 8lb so i don't know which one to go by. only last week i decided to treat myself to a new and expensive pair of scales. i went into the shop where i got to test them out only to find that not one set of scale said the same reading. after comming out of the shop empty handed i walked over to boots and used they scales only to find a 13lb difference....i give up!!! so now im just gonna go by the old scales that i have at home...coz who knows!:rolleyes:

I gave my scales away,i just knew I would become obsessed otherwise.
I go to boots every 2 weeks,and try smaller clothes to check my weightloss.

The ones at the hospital are calibrated so are exact, so when u get weighed there that is your true weight. But oooowh what a pain in the bum them scales weighing in different amounts.
I think i got to the size i was by not weighing myself. I was so terrified of seeing my weight go up and the number that i didn't weigh myself ever. When the doctor or hospital wanted to weigh me I'd get palpitations and tell them i did't want to know my weight. I was in complete denial that if i didn't know my weight i wasn't that heavy, silly i know. For this reason i know i need to keep an eye on my weight every week, so i never get to a state where I'm stones heavier, because as we all no it came creap up very fast. xxx

Reactions: Bev
Very good thread! I have to say i have gone from extreme highs to extreme lows just because of what the scales say. And there seem to have been a lot more lows than highs....

Maz has hit the nail right on the head when she says go by your clothes, the only thing i would say is that when you've owned clothes for a while they can 'give' a little. Most of us use a supermarket that sells clothes, so why not find something they stock all the time (for example Asda do an office work range) and pick something a little tight and try it every week when you go? That can be your judge....

Also for those of you who weigh at Boots believing the phallacy that their scales are spot on? I have to tell you i weighed on Boots the other week and they said i was 9st 6lb.... More like 16st 3lb according to the hospital...

Let your clothes or a piece of string be your judge and bin the awful scales........

Unless of course you are pre op and have targets to reach, in which case could you ask your practice nurse if you could pop in for a regular weigh in? Just a thought....

I agree and I just wish I could stick to not weighing in so often! Ive been banned from weighing in on any other day apart from Sunday (officially) my son weighs me but I still get on them most mornings and guess the weight lol......I have a good or bad day depending on what they say! Its like torture......I need to let them hide them :D XX

The way i see it now is this: I never weighed in weekly/daily when i was bigger so why do it now? The scales are having a bad effect on our moods... My karma went right out the window x

I was a daily weigher during pre-op, twice a week early post op, then weekly for my losing journey. While pregnant I weighed a lot but that was because of the problems I had. For the last year I've weighed no more than once a month, and that's just to keep an eye on things. My weight fluctuates by 5-6lbs generally and I'm happy with that. I tend to go by my clothes now, if they feel loose I hop on to check and up the lard for a few days.

Anyway the point was once I reached a maintaining weight I have easily managed to loosen up on the weighing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back