• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Old habits die hard!!

Hollie22

So I thought I had a handle on my bad eating but second week of normal food I have been naughty! I had some takeaways as we were away with friends (there were smaller versions) but I feel like I'm in back in bad habits with grazing and eating more than I did. I'm still losing but I want to kick the bad habits! Any advice?

plan your meals, count every calorie, do some exercise and look in the mirror .... you had major surgery to give you the tool to lose weight, but only you have the power and control to make it happen ....

bad habits take a while to break, so give yourself small targets and goals that are achievable and possibly speak to your GP / provider about some counselling to look at why you eat the way you do.

best of luck ... let us know how you get on xxx

Not a bander but ditch the takeaways for a start they are just bad news no matter what WLS you have had. I know you were with friends/family but this is something you need to address as these situations are going to be a reoccurrence in the future so you really need to get your head around it now. On the rare occasions that I did do takeaway pre bypass/balloon I chose the healthier options of which there are very few tbh ..its the sauces that are the killer. I am surprised that you even managed it so soon after your op but again I'm not a bander so what do I know there.
Grazing on carbs will make you desire carbs even more ..it's a viscous circle. Try aiming for six small healthy meals a day if you are struggling with hunger.
Good luck

It's okay to have the odd treat when you're away, just decide that you will not have them at home and get back to your normal, healthy eating. It's true what Frankie said, the more carbs you eat, the more you crave them, and if you don't have them, eventually you actually can live without. Good luck with getting back on track.

When I had the takeaway I just chose plain chicken soft noodles and nothing else so not too bad. I graze on olives etc which are not too bad just want to kick the habit :)

If you are going to have take away... go for the healthier options... like a chicken salad for example.....

It takes a while to get the bad habits under control. I found for the first couple of months I became obsessed with chocolate and junk food, more so than pre op. I was grazing on lot of sliders just because I could and it sabotaged my weight loss. Then I'd get depressed that the scales weren't moving and so ate more. I think I was having some kind of mental warfare with my band and didn't want to accept my new style of eating and approach to food.

The band is really a mental challenge in comparison to a bypass which prevents you from eating high cal food. Fortunately I had restriction from the day of surgery, in terms of appetite suppression and the full feeling, but I didn't listen to my body, I just continued to "head eat".

What I would say is that there is a day when something just clicks. The fact that you are a grazer is hard with the band because if you want to you can always find something to go down just so you have the satisfaction of eating.

Maybe try getting some low to no calorie snacking food, my current foods are sweet & salt popcorn which are 100 cals and weight watchers strawberry whip. With take aways maybe share dishes so you don't order a full meal for yourself.

It's hard to kick old habits, but you can do it, I'm sure. It just takes a mix of not being too hard on yourself when you slip and a bit of tough love.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back