• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG - Its really happening !!!

DOVES

Hi - I posted a couple a weeks ago about going to see consultant.

Well I saw him on Monday and he is recommending the band for me and I have a date of 29th July ......

I've told work and they are being supportive with time off - it seems real now.

Only thing I am worried about now is some posts I read about "Banding" being harder that "By-Pass". Can someone explain this please???

My consultant said that although I had a large amount of weight to lose he didn't think I needed the by-pass because I am "healthy" as in I don't have Diabetes (sp) or any other health issue. Now I am worrying as he has suggested the band nowing I will come back for the by-pass....I'm paying private.

Really appreciate if someone could put my mind at ease.

One last thing.......during the pre-op diet I have a wedding will one day off the diet be tragic - 5 days before?? Also what is the pre-op diet sorry that was another question ;)

Thanks

Well I saw him on Monday and he is recommending the band for me and I have a date of 29th July ......

ahh congratulations you will be having your op on my birthday the 29th

Only thing I am worried about now is some posts I read about "Banding" being harder that "By-Pass". Can someone explain this please???

the reason the band can be harder is because it requires more will power with certain food types, foods like cakes choc fried foods ice cream ect a band wont stop you having, where as with a bypass the option is taken away from you with the fear of dumping.

My consultant said that although I had a large amount of weight to lose he didn't think I needed the by-pass because I am "healthy" as in I don't have Diabetes (sp) or any other health issue. Now I am worrying as he has suggested the band nowing I will come back for the by-pass....I'm paying private.
if you have discussed your life style and eating habbits then im sure he would of chosen the right op for your needs, i was a volume eater rather than a grazer/picker. thats why i chose banding.

One last thing.......during the pre-op diet I have a wedding will one day off the diet be tragic - 5 days before?? Also what is the pre-op diet sorry that was another question ;)
the pre op diet is either a diet that consists of milk or a low fat diet sheet your providor should of given you. it should really be stuck to at all times as its purpose is to shrink the fatty liver so its easier for the surgeon to get the band in.

Excellent news Dove - looking forward to seeing your weight loss fall to the floor as the new you will be revealed x

Thanks for replies.

Liz - I am volume eater also so that makes me feel better about the banding option. Just did some more research and I happy I'm going with correct option.

Looking forward to becoming a LOSER...

Sam

Good luck making your decision re band and bypass - not an easy one to make. I guess in some ways bands do take a lot more willpower (as slider foods like chocolate, crisps, cakes, ice cream etc all go down). But a bypass isn't an easy option either being a much bigger operation etc.

One last thing.......during the pre-op diet I have a wedding will one day off the diet be tragic - 5 days before??

Unfortunately just one day off of the pre-op diet can ruin the whole thing as your liver needs the time to shrink. If the liver is too big they may not be able to do the op or they might have to convert to open surgery...

Hi Sam, great news on getting your date and so glad you're feeling better about the band. It does take will power and hard work but what weight you lose will have more chance of staying off if you're happy with your decision.

Hi there, glad you had your consultation and have a date - that's brilliant. I had the band and I'm v pleased with it so far x

Thanks
Thats fab you have a date
i am having a band and i am on pre op diet now. I went to a wedding last weekend and that was fine. because of the wedding i started pre op diet a couple of days earlier
good luck

Back