• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OMG

• Well it's been a week since I was told I was being offered a gastric bypass :D. This was a fabulous day for me as I never thought it would happen, I have told few people since i was given the good news but WOW not one person has even mentioned it since, not even a word! Gutted is the only word that springs to mind, has anyone else experienced this!! I feel like I'm on my own :( for this most important journey of my life, well apart from my marriage and 4 pregnancy's.

I think people are not sure how to react to such news ! Maybe if they appear too happy they might think you might think"oh god they all thinl im a lard arse!" or if they say nothing you might think"they dont care!" you have had some time to prepare for this so maybe give them a few days for the news to sink in....&the chance to you tube it or wikipedia it!

Loads of posts on here about telling other people , the reactions of other people, the disapproval...etc etc. You are on your own, this for you, the rest have no idea how to react because they are not in your shoes..... this can be the most liberating journey, but it's yours and no one else's.....that's why many don't tell.....

This is a huge life changing /saving op for many of us and frankly it will completely change your life....unfortunately others just don't get it.... but you wouldn't expect to either I guess........ its something you will only understand if you've been thru it........so stick with us hunni........... we all total get it and understand the enormity of it all................ yes it will change your whole being and you will find most around you wont even blink an eye lol don't take it as personal........... it simply not such a huge deal to them........... where as for us it completely takes over your life.... be prepared it don't get much better..... in fact I have found that I no longer have much in common with these folks now either lol its your journey ....make the most of it and enjoy every step hun....... welcome to you new world, the new you and a whole heap of new friends around here x x x x all the best and gl x x x

I agree with crystal, you have been brave enough to,tell people and once you do other people don't know what to do with information. It's a bit like you telling them your going on an exotic holiday. It might never happen to them so it doesn't mean anything to them. I'm proud that I decided to have this surgery and I have told everyone who has said or mentioned my weight loss what I've done. Everyone so far has said well done etc but I have noticed they don't really know how to cope with it because it's not a diet it's a life changing thing I've done and that's the difference, if it was just a diet you can discuss it " the cravings, having the extra crisps etc" falling of the wagon we've all done it but because people don't understand what you are about to go through they don't know how to talk to you about it. It's a bit like and a bereavement people just don't know what to say to you, a miscarriage people skirt around the subject because they don't know what to say. This is why now you have told them it means nothing to them. They are not showing an interest because they don't know what it means. I had a conversation with a manager about how I was doing, she said " oh he had one done and has lost a bit" I said I don't know anyone else who had a bypass, she said what's that. I said the operation I've had done, but I though you had a band fitted. After explaining to her the whole process and some of the difficulties she had a clearer understanding but she like others could not understand why I had so much time of because " others had only had a few weeks of ,what was the matter with you " attitude made her look at me in a different way. You could start to talk to them about the changes that might take place ( you know they will ) and how do they think you could cope, discuss with them in the different stages and foods etc. once you have the operation they will show you support so font loose heart. Good luck with you journey. :)

Back