• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On holiday

triedeverything

So I'm 9 weeks post op and on a fortnights shared villa holiday with friends in the Algarve. All sounds lovely but having a difficult time with food and wine, have tried to be very careful but I was very sick day 2 and have had a dumping experience day 4 and some friends we are with don't know about my op so its been difficult.

This is my first holiday where I haven't had food and alcohol as my main priority after my family.. very strange experience and cannot lie have had some miserable moments because of it.

Hi Fran

I can imagine it must be difficult so soon after your op. my first break away isn't until October which will be 8 months after surgery so will have had time to learn how to adapt.

I hope despite the 'eating issues' it's been a good break xx

Oh dear. I remember saying you'd struggle holidaying so soon. I threw up every day for weeks at the beginning. It does get easier but it's very difficult when you're not at home. Try and avoid the wine as the acid from it won't be helping.

I would have found going on holiday 9 weeks post op hard. Actually impossible as I wasn't well but even later on I would have. I didn't go away until I was 7 months post op and it was still difficult but when I went away again at 1 year post op it was fine. I could have a couple of glasses of wine and enjoy small portions of meals out etc. Basically anything in moderation. The point I'm making is that this part isn't forever, and your holidays in the future will be much more normal but in the mean time enjoy the sunshine and swim! you will be the one going home lighter than when arrived, that is a good feeling to have :) x

You're right Shelley. Losing weight on holiday is an amazing feeling!

It's been difficult as not home and sharing meals at a large table with much more food than I'm used to. So I've made some mistakes and the minute meals are over they want to go to the beach and I want to stay at the villa in case I'm sick.. It's caused some rows with my husband who thinks my operation is now a mistake making me very miserable indeed.

Okay hon, first of all try and hold on to the fact that you have done this for your health. If you've been throwing up they may well have noticed - say you've got a dodgy stomach, which can happen on hols, and stick to soups or mushy stuff, even if you're on solids. if you've thrown up a lot chances are you're a bit swollen now. Avoid the alcohol completely - it won't help. Same with sweets. Pick at your meals - take your time. Just say you're eating slow because you've been feeling unwell. As for your husband, explain that if he wants you to be healthier he'll stop whinging and support you. Your op is not a mistake - but you're making it quite hard for yourself!

Tell your husband to read my post. To be honest, to expect you to be well enough for a holiday 9 post op is pushing it. I threw up every day for the first 8 weeks and struggled to feel normal until 12 weeks post op. You will feel ok again and your husband will be the first one praising the op when he sees the difference in you in a a few more weeks time. It's very early days, you need to be patient and so does you husband. Don't worry all the good things are to come and I promise you this isn't a mistake. This is ONE holiday, just think of the amazing ones you will have in you future because you now have a future. Try to make the most of the time you have left, ask for a little more patience from you companions, you had major surgery 2 months ago, and do your best to enjoy yourself know you will have a much easier time next holiday.

I was doing well at home I really was only been sick a couple of times but the people we are with are big wine drinkers and I used to share it with them.. I haven't had any today and yesterday I had one small glass. It's been difficult to keep the portions to the few mouthfuls I would normally have at home. I'm really trying and have been better today just upset my husband has been so cross with me.

I would let them all go to the beach and stay at home and enjoy some peace :)

This is why I don't drink alcohol anymore at all, and had almost no desert on holiday. I was very careful and only had very very few treats even on holiday, and I went on holiday nine weeks post op. And most of the time I was fine except for to minor dumping experiences. Hope your holidays will improve for you. Can you ask whoever is cooking the meals to give you only a small portion?

Is this too much (ave day here) I'm vegetarian so protein has to be got through eggs and dairy or quorn.

Breakfast : 1 weetabix and half a banana (can't eat it all)
Lunch : 1 egg omelette with finely chopped onions, pepper and 1 mushroom with tiny amount of grated cheese
Dinner : quorn pasta or BBQ veggie sausages and salad
The night I was sick was because they had a very rich cheesy pizza and I only had one slice
The night I dumped was after a meal and 2 glasses of wine. I thought I was going to die felt so bad :(

Can you have yoghurt? I would want a bit more protein in that breakfast. Or even a cooked breakfast if you're good with eggs.

I might go for some yoghurt for breakfast thats a good idea Yvessa thank you I have stuck to a weetabix since the op as they gave me that in hospital and it goes down well but happy for a change. I am having an egg for lunch so will prob avoid breakfast too.

Is this too much (ave day here) I'm vegetarian so protein has to be got through eggs and dairy or quorn.

Breakfast : 1 weetabix and half a banana (can't eat it all)
Lunch : 1 egg omelette with finely chopped onions, pepper and 1 mushroom with tiny amount of grated cheese
Dinner : quorn pasta or BBQ veggie sausages and salad
The night I was sick was because they had a very rich cheesy pizza and I only had one slice
The night I dumped was after a meal and 2 glasses of wine. I thought I was going to die felt so bad :(

The answer is yes it's too much if you're being sick. Try and knock the alcohol on the head you're too early out and it's empty calories. If you drink straight after a meal you will feel awful as it pushes the food through too quickly.

Cheesy pizza is incredibly high fat so no surprise you dumped on it.

Thanks everyone I should stress that my evening meal.. I probably have about 5 or 6 mouthfuls tops. I try and make it last but as we are in a group we we eating later than I would choose to so I'm hungry and perhaps having one or two bites more than I should.

I really feel for you - it must be tough, mentally as well as physically, as I think we're all used to different behaviours when on holiday and it's hard (I imagine) to behave in a different way post surgery.

You've had some brilliant advice on here from the wonderful gang re booze, protein etc and I hope the rest of your time away is more relaxed for you.

(I'm 7 weeks out and I know I'd struggle - hugs x)

Could you not tell them you are on Anti Biotics and therefore cannot drink to ease the pressure?

We are going away on holiday ina fortnight to Spain in a villa with friends but they know my situation so I am no so concious of it. Saying that though, listen to your body and if you feel it is too much stop - you only need to justify things to yourself.

Your husband probably just wants to see you enjoy your holiday more than anything else and feels frustrated. my husband had an epidsode like this a few weeks ago until I put him straight and told him I do not need food or alchol to make me happy, that I will live within my own limitations and it does not affect him. he has been fine every since!!

I am a bander I know but I do feel for you and thinking of you. Try and enjoy your holiday and as others have said, come home lighter as a bonus!

x

Eeeekkkkk. I'm off to NYC 10 weeks post op. my consultant said it would be fine!!!!
Something else I will now worry about :-(
It's all paid and have saved for 2 years!!!!!

Your experience might be different than others, so don't worry about it, just enjoy it and just be careful with what you eat. I think it's hard on holiday to shift our attention from eating to doing other, non-food related holidayactivities.

Back