• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On holiday

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

Eeeekkkkk. I'm off to NYC 10 weeks post op. my consultant said it would be fine!!!!
Something else I will now worry about :-(
It's all paid and have saved for 2 years!!!!!
Everyone is different - I would have been fine 10 weeks post op. I think a large number of the OPs difficulties are a result of her not wanting to tell anyone which only adds to the pressure of the op.

Is this too much (ave day here) I'm vegetarian so protein has to be got through eggs and dairy or quorn.

Breakfast : 1 weetabix and half a banana (can't eat it all)
Lunch : 1 egg omelette with finely chopped onions, pepper and 1 mushroom with tiny amount of grated cheese
Dinner : quorn pasta or BBQ veggie sausages and salad
The night I was sick was because they had a very rich cheesy pizza and I only had one slice
The night I dumped was after a meal and 2 glasses of wine. I thought I was going to die felt so bad :(
Is it too soon to add beans and pulses to your diet for protein, also nuts in small quantities? Not recommended by everyone, but is there a protein powder you can tolerate? Either a flavoured one as a shake or plain added to food to fortify it.

Hope you manage to enjoy the rest of your holiday anyway and that your husband is more understanding. I'm sure you knew early days would be difficult, but perhaps your husband didn't really understand until he saw what happened.

I'm pre op so still to go through this, have planned surgery for a few weeks after a major family celebration given all that comes with it! I'm also hoping I'll be able to manage Xmas OK by having surgery early September. Fingers crossed!

Hey all I'm back from my 2 weeks holiday and annoyingly seemed up build up a tolerance to wine! By the end of it I could drink a couple of small glasses over the course of the evening and not feel too bad.

Back home and stood on the scales and I have stayed the same!! So I should have lost weight but no I am the same. Suppose it was the wine but had to at least try to fit in with the 2 other families we were staying with all of whom did a lot of drinking. Fed up as have now been at this weight for over a month!

Oh well back to it now and no more booze for me well nor for a while.

Hey all I'm back from my 2 weeks holiday and annoyingly seemed up build up a tolerance to wine! By the end of it I could drink a couple of small glasses over the course of the evening and not feel too bad.

Back home and stood on the scales and I have stayed the same!! So I should have lost weight but no I am the same. Suppose it was the wine but had to at least try to fit in with the 2 other families we were staying with all of whom did a lot of drinking. Fed up as have now been at this weight for over a month!

Oh well back to it now and no more booze for me well nor for a while.

Just think of what you could of put on tho an pre-op it would of probably been a lot. You know what you have to do to get back on track so you may find next week you lose some weight as it might give your body a wake up xx

So pleased I'm not a booze person. Have always preferred to eat my calories :)

Oh dear! I'm going to be a teeny bit blunt hun but only in a trying to help kind of way. It's no wonder you are struggling on a holiday with people who don't know at 9 weeks to be honest but by trying to conform to their "norm" you are making it much harder on yourself. Wine at 9 weeks is madness to be honest. You won't even be fully healed by now and adding sugary / high calorie alcohol in so soon is likely to be the main cause of your dumping and feeling bad! At 9 weeks you should be on soft stage plus a bit so pizza???!!!?? Please try an remember why you had this op in the first place because it's a lot to go through to mess it up in the interests ofkeeping other people happy. Your sleeve is only a tool, you have to do the rest m'dear. Good luck, hope it's not too miserable for you.

JoJo I only dumped once at the beginning and I am fully aware of the 'rules'. Life isn't always like that and not everybody is blessed with fast losses no matter what they do. I am eating no more than 800 cals per day and the wine was purely a holiday indulgence. I was given the go ahead for small amounts of alcohol by my bariatric dietician who told me that drinking won't affect my sleeve in the slightest its just empty calories so I made an informed choice. I'm not saying everyone should do it but this was my annual holiday that I had been looking forward to all year and like I say the people we shared with (there were 11 of us including kids) were big drinkers so my occasional small glass looked tiny in comparison. I wasn't seeking a telling off here just some support but I appreciate where you are coming from.

I am a slow loser have always been and will always be despite surgery so I will just have to manage that and change my expectations. I had one slice of pizza in the whole 2 weeks so I wouldn't say that was excessive particularly?

I worry about your comment that 'life isn't always like that'. For WLS to work it needs a lifestyle change - which does include holidays and so on. Now you're right, you did make a choice, but I won't be alone in thinking that at only 9 weeks out you made a lot of wrong choices. And I think JoJo was being supportive - 'building up a tolerance to alcohol' and eating this like pizza this early out can spell a recipe for disaster. People get fast losses early on because they're just too scared to eat the sort of stuff that got them into this mess in the first place.

We can convince ourselves that nothing is excessive, but two glasses of wine a night at 9 weeks out is not a good idea. Read up on transfer addiction and you'll see why. I hope for your sake that you forget you can get around your op and you recommit to the lifestyle change that is wls success.

I worry about your comment that 'life isn't always like that'. For WLS to work it needs a lifestyle change - which does include holidays and so on. Now you're right, you did make a choice, but I won't be alone in thinking that at only 9 weeks out you made a lot of wrong choices. And I think JoJo was being supportive - 'building up a tolerance to alcohol' and eating this like pizza this early out can spell a recipe for disaster. People get fast losses early on because they're just too scared to eat the sort of stuff that got them into this mess in the first place.

We can convince ourselves that nothing is excessive, but two glasses of wine a night at 9 weeks out is not a good idea. Read up on transfer addiction and you'll see why. I hope for your sake that you forget you can get around your op and you recommit to the lifestyle change that is wls success.

I have had a long think about the comments made by yourself and JoJo today as quite frankly I was pretty upset by them... I came on this forum for some support and it all started well enough but for some reason both of you chose to find fault with me.. I found your comments both patronising and condescending. It has ended up in what I would consider 'polite bullying' by those who feel you have 'seniority' over us 'newbies' due to your experience and knowledge of all things VSG.

I am happy to learn from those with more experience than me, but please do not presume to know me or my struggles before and after surgery based on the limited amount of information I posted up.

None of us would be here if we didn't have food issues and I find it quite insulting that you felt it necessary to tell me to 'look at my mindset' as if I have put myself through this entire process without understanding that. I am actually quite an intelligent person in normal life you know, and spent months and months researching this surgery. I came on here for a chat and support, not to be belittled or told off by those who seem to think they own the forums. If this forum is to grow a more welcoming attitude would not go amiss.

The thing with support is that it's a bit like a slot machine. You put your money in and pull the lever and out comes an opinion. Feel free to ignore mine - I still think its the best advice I could give you. And frankly calling it bullying because its not the advice you wanted is disappointing at best and head stuck in the sand at worst. Every bit of advice I give is based on all the research and all the experience I've had while going through my own journey. If you don't like it don't take it. In a public forum however take a moment to appreciate that someone wasted their time trying to help you.

The thing with support is that it's a bit like a slot machine. You put your money in and pull the lever and out comes an opinion. Feel free to ignore mine - I still think its the best advice I could give you. And frankly calling it bullying because its not the advice you wanted is disappointing at best and head stuck in the sand at worst. Every bit of advice I give is based on all the research and all the experience I've had while going through my own journey. If you don't like it don't take it. In a public forum however take a moment to appreciate that someone wasted their time trying to help you.

Joining a SUPPORT forum should be about offering support.. not making value judgements with minimal information. Yvessa, I respect and admire your weightloss you have done very well. Prior to this surgery I too lost over 100lbs without surgery with diet and exercise until a serious knee injury stopped me in my tracks. I am back to an unhealthy weight and trying to do something positive to help myself. I have put my family through a lot of worry and upset having WLS and I don't want to burden them with my daily issues, and thought I would reach out on a forum for support. This isn't exactly helping and whether or not I 'like' your advice is one thing but maintaining a friendly non judgemental approach to those of us who might make the odd mistake and who may not be 100% perfect throughout their journey, is something we should all try and do. Not everyone will go through this process without making mistakes, but patronising comments about mindset, rules and timewasting is a funny way of showing support.

Offering support doesn't mean always being a "yes man".........

I've read back through my comment and can find nothing unfriendly about it but maybe the suggestion that you might find it a little easier if you avoided certain things has offended. That wasn't my intention and I'm sorry if you've been upset.

I would say though that I have benefitted on several occasions from some warts and all advice / support on this forum and try and offer some back now and then. Being told I'm doing brilliantly when clearly I'm having some issues isn't what I come here for personally but I appreciate that we are all different.

We'll agree to disagree about everything but the suggestion that I think I am a very experienced sleever and know all there is to know about it which is quite ridiculous given that I ask for help (and accept / act upon it) quite regularly.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey.

I went away and thought about what I wanted to achieve with my post and particularly on the whole tough love thing. I wasn't rude in my post - I have been in the past but definitely not to you and largely because I get frustrated that the honeymoon period, those precious 6-12 months where the weight is guaranteed to just fall off you, isn't made the most of. I will own up to being so obese it was making me ill. A BMI of 68 is no joke and while I am far from perfect at a year out I had stalled. I was at 20 stone at that time, and my team fed me all the 'oh but you've done so well' platitudes. I needed someone who would call a kettle black and I got that and I didn't like it much. My response, deep down inside, although I probably didn't ever want to admit was 'well I'll bloody show you I've got what it takes.' Now I had made the most of my honeymoon period, but I cannot describe the struggle it now is to claw every lb of weightloss from my stubborn body. But I am determined. Judgemental, well, yes. If my advice is going to be worth a pinch, I've got to make a judgement as to what I think will help. And sometimes I think someone needs a hug. Sometimes I think someone won't listen and I get annoyed and call them an idiot. (probably not my nicest side, I know). And someone I see someone like you who has done all the wrong things and not seen a loss and I cross my fingers and hope that actually this is all the kick in the ass you'll need to make the most of it. Be angry with me if you want. Call me a bully if you want (maybe I deserve it a little for saying something you didn't want to hear). Show me that you will do this and be a wl success and I'm talking out of my back side. I would love nothing more.

Back