• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

On the losers bench

DEANO76

Finally came home yesterday after having my sleeve done on the 24th. Have to say the staff at UCLH are hit and miss, either excellent or useless. I spent the 1st day in itu they really looked after me with constant care and compassion. I was out of the bed walking to the toilet fine, pain not so bad i thought i had made the right choice.

2nd day i was moved to a general ward, not geared up for a bariatric patient. I had the pulsating boots on and couldnt get out of bed without having them removed, which i couldnt do on my own, i felt really sick and needed to go to the toilet so i struggled and strained and mananged to get the boots off get out of bed and drag me drip to the toilet, then it hit me a pain to stop civilisation.

I couldnt breathe, talk walk, crawl, scream, i managed to attract a nurses attention as polietely as i could. I explained as quickly as i could i needed pain relief of a major dose, she replied i will find somebody to give you some paracetamol, she could not even give me paracetamol, it took over 20 minutes for her to come back with a proper nurse who gave me a paracetamol drip which as i knew didnt work, still in agony a consultant who was doing his rounds noticed the agony i was in and checked my notes, i could have morphine, the nurse then goes off foranother 10 minutes with a iv of morpine, a shot in the bottom and within 10 mins the pain was going and i was back into bed. I then thought i had made a big mistake if i was going to be in pain like that. I slept through most of day 2. Being woken every hour for blood pressure and temperature.

Day 3 i woke up feeling better, after a chat with the surgeon, everything looks fine and im free to go home in the evening. Struggling to drink the water as it hurts when it goes down but the milk is fine, but i carry on taking small sips to make sure i get enough fluids. I have early well deserved night, albeit uncomfortable.

Today, i wake up fine, i carry on drinkin the water which is now becoming easier to drink, i have a strawberry slimfast milkshake for breakfast, a ribena for lunch, and a small bowl of tom soup for dinner which gave me the shivers for some reason, I am not feeling hungry atal. Pain is at a minimum, except the compressed gas situation which makes me eyes water every now and again.

So far i am over the moon with the results of my op.

glad you're home and on the mend deano, good luck honey :) xxx

Glad ur home n on the mend ;) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Welcome to the losers bench xx

Glad your home x
try peppermint cordial (S/free) or peppermint tea for the wind it does help also if it's tinned Tomato soup - could have high fat and sugar content which could give that shivery feeling hun. Try low fat one (Campbells condensed) or make your own and puree - that way you know wats in it xx
It's a learning curve - but the results are so worth it xx
Welcome to the Losers Bench xxx

well done
i look foreward to reading more updates
p.s on the tomato soup that question came up at my meeting on thursday and the dietician said that tomato soup is more acidic than others so to try and avoid till your at least 4 weeks but if it was the only one you liked try putting some of your milk allowance in it hope this helps

Hi Deano, welcome home! I share the experience of being on a ward where they are not trained or geared up to treat you properly. Being home was the best thing ever and my recovery has been amazing since.

Good luck with your journey, sounds like you are doing great already! keep up the good work.

Glad to hear ur ok, hope the pain settles down

Today, i wake up fine, i carry on drinkin the water which is now becoming easier to drink, i have a strawberry slimfast milkshake for breakfast, a ribena for lunch, and a small bowl of tom soup for dinner which gave me the shivers for some reason, I am not feeling hungry atal. Pain is at a minimum, except the compressed gas situation which makes me eyes water every now and again.

Hi Deano,

As Drylaw says and as I have been reading in a book "Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve" tomato soup is NOT recommended for the first month post surgery due to high ACIDIC content. Chicken or mushroom soup should be more soothing.

GAS -- walk, walk, walk, walk !!!

I don't mean go hiking outside -- just walk round your room / flat / house -- it is the only way to shift it, apparently!

it will all be better from here on hun, i was on a ward too on my own and they asked me what i wanted for breakfast the next day... i said am i allowed to eat... ive had biatric surgery and the nurse said... oh ok i didnt realise!! i did feel a bit lost at that point.
But all is good now so forget you hospital experience and you start to enjoy your new journey to gtting fitter, healthier and thinner xxx

Thanks for all the kind responses. Its weird but its like i have just been given a new body and mind which isnt just solely designed for eating. lol.

Glad all went well and your home , I be having my sleeve on Monday so be joining you on your journey xxx all the best xx

Back