• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Please help me....did a tablet get stuck?

Glorfindel

Six Month Post Op
This will probably sound melodramatic, I seriously felt like I was dying, and still feel extremely rough. It is 3 in the morning and I'm too scared to go back to bed and can't stop shaking :(.

It is that horrible time of the month, and I get awful cramps, I'm 6 weeks post op and was allowed to start taking whole tablets from four weeks forward. I've had no problems till now.

I took some Panadol (paracetamol and dihydrocodeine) before I went to bed at about 1ish due to pain. I didn't break the tablets, they are typical capletish size. I went to bed and felt fine, read for a bit - about an hour later I felt mild pain in my stomach which over the course of about 15 minutes became absolutely unbearable. I really didn't know what to do with myself.

I came downstairs and made myself some tea, hoping that the warm liquid would help the tablet disolve if it was indeed a tablet stuck in my pouch. After lots of thrashing, half a cup of tea and belching as much as I could (just in case, but it didn't feel like wind pain) the pain has eased, but it still aches and has left me weak and shaky (probably from worry).

I'm assuming a tablet lodged and the tea helped - I'm not sitting here to calm down and drinking a pint of water slowly, but think the aching may be from the abuse my poor pouch suffered while the tablet was lodged.

I really think I just need comfort - I realize barely anyone is on at this time though, I just feel extremely shoddy, for the first time since the op.

Should I take it easy with food tomorrow, extra soft things and soup perhaps?

Well I'm here so I'll try and comfort you. I doubt that the capsule got stuck but, for future use, have you thought about soluble medicines?

You're just going to have to get used to these different feelings. They aren't serious, although they do feel it at the time. Just 6 weeks post op, your body will still be recovering! Plus, as said, things are different for you now!

You won't have done any damage, and there's no need to change your eating habit later on today to try and ease it. Just do what you feel comfortable with as anxiety can also lead to problems!

You'll be fine, it's just you're having to get used to different feelings. It's a roller coaster ride for a bit!

Thank you so much for your reply Mixman. I do feel much better now, managed to find a coupel of friends online to chat to and calm myself down, sipping my drink and just relaxing now - no good going to bed all pent up, will calm down completely first.

It is such a scary feeling. Reading back on my post I sound silly to myself, but at the time I really felt like I was going to die or something equally as silly!

Thank you once again for replying.

That's no problem. I'm over 5 months on now and getting more and more comfortable all the time!

I know what it was like at first though! Every little snag and bump and pain, it was serious, I'd got problems, you convince yourself don't you?

All the various operations are serious and, as such, our bodies and minds adjust accordingley to protect ourselves. It's natural!

I'm glad you've calmed down and you've managed to fond people to talk to.

Yup, when I was sitting on the floor in the hallway, I talked myself out of calling an ambulance, then back in to it, then back out of it. It took conciously telling myself to calm the heck down and breath properly and then I felt 100 times better - the mind is a powerful thing.

I almost laughed as I looked up and saw all FIVE of my cats had gathered round to watch their insane owner (hang on, I have Siamese, not owner - pet) sitting on the floor and whining.

It is frustrating as I'm a very level headed person, so this took me by surprise, I have a high pain tolerance, so this was a bit shocking to me, I couldn't quite believe myself and the fuss I was making.

I'm glad it IS the only problem I've had since surgery though, on the bright side!

I had a similar pain to the one you have described about 6 weeks ago. I'd have been 2 months post op at the time. I was at a friends house for dinner and the pain started as a bit of back ache, and then gradually got worse and I had to make my excuses and leave. I somehow managed to drive home in complete agony, and by the time I got home I thought I was having a heart attack as the pain was sooooo bad. I spent two hours trying to burp and/or be sick but nothing would shift the pain. Eventually, after my husband rubbing my back for ages I got the urge to go and be sick. I ran to the loo, and let out the biggest burp I have ever done in my life! I felt instant relief from the pain, and more than a tad foolish for thinking it was something serious...

I now understand when people say how painful trapped wind can be. Luckily I havent suffered with it since.

Poor you!

I'm a bander, so not sure how that relates to those with roux-en-y...
When i am due TOM I go from great restriction, being able to tolerate almost anything and happily taking multivitamin tablets...to not being able to eat most food groups and having to take a chewable vitamin- tablets wont pass.
As soon as TOM starts i'm back to normal.

Our bodies work in mysterious ways! :)

glad your feeling better. dont feel silly i do worse things. xx

Oh dear. you poor Poppet.

I hope you're feeling lots better today

xxxx

I often find if I get stressed out (particularly at work) or if I have skipped food I get a vice like pain under my ribs that when it first happened made me sure it was a heart attack. It's a actually just trapped wind and can totally stop me in my tracks. Can't concentrate on anything until it goes, usually have to get up and walk around until it eases. No wonder babies scream like mad when they get colic! At least after the first pain you learn what to expect and how to cope with it, at least I hope you will.

Lynda

Hiya

I agree with Mixman, at 6 weeks post op you should be able to swallow tablets ok, and as a bypasser your less likely to get blockages anyway, its more likely that the paracetamol and dihydrocodeine mix upset your newly formed pouch, i've read about others with intolerances to certain drugs, i'd speak to your GP and describe the cramping, pain and symptoms as they may be able to suggest an alternative drug.

I agree with SS, I found I have sensitivity to some meds now. I can't have codeine products anymore as they now give me a wicked tummy ache and as you described will wake me out of a cold sleep and I feel as if I will be sick. I never am sick but it sure feels as though I will be. So no more codeine for me.

Nic:p

Back