• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

One week post op

caz56

Hi everyone. I had my bypass last Saturday 19th October. Until yesterday everything was going ok, well, apart from constipation which has now been solved. I have no pain from wounds and managing to sleep on my side. The liquid diet is fine. However since yesterday I haven't felt well. I don't feel nauseous just a bit heady if that make sense? :sigh: I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Hoping all fellow Optobers are doing well :)

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Glad you are doing well. I was bypassed 3 months ago. Those first couple of weeks are hard as the body goes into ketosis due to lack of calories etc. i was quite poorly and weak towards the end of week 2 as had little left in me. What are you having for liquids? It could be sugar dumping you are experiencing - hidden in lots of things and can catch you unawares.

caz56

Hi lilacgittergirl, I am drinking water , nas Ribena, milky caffeine free coffee which are on my list. But you mentioning sugar made me think. I have been chewing windeze tablets. I've just looked on the packet they do contain sugar. I'll stick to mint tea and see if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Yes ... We have to be so careful Caz. For the future we need to stay under 7% if we can. Most 0% fat yogs are at least twice that (example Activia) so be aware when the time comes. Also NAS doesn't mean low either - I took my eye off the ball recently and had NAS Angel Delight only to discover when it was too late that it was 44%!!! Shocking. So ... You have found out early the challenge of living low sugar ... It's a price we have to pay, but worth it. If I'm confined to base I can do about 20% in the knowledge I'll prob be OK (and can lie down in a dark room if I need to!). If I go out to eat I ask someone else to drive in case I'm caught off guard as you really shouldn't drive during dumping.

Great to have you on the losers' bench, BTW x

Beegee

If only I had read this earlier....been tickity boo all week ..activista yoghurt this afternoon has resulted in the need for a lie down.

Glad you are doing well too...every day I am surprised at how well I feel. Walked to the shops today for some essentials...activia yogs pah!

caz56

Hi Beegee,

Pleased to hear you are doing so well as well. I've been having the plain activia yoghurt which is 6.1g per 100 which I thought was ok. I do know the flavoured ones are higher. I found that out after getting hubby to buy low fat yoghurt pre op! Going to have to be extra vigilant with foods in the future. I'm sure it was the windeze. Because I felt odd I took a few yesterday pm thinking it might be wind. Feeling so much better today. Already planning my first mushy meal.

Beegee

I have my first mushy planned too.. as its breakfast it will have to be Weetabix but after that blended veggie chili con carne and a spoonful of guacamole...dreaming of the day.

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Aww, love you two. Both bypassed on the same day so setting off on your journey hand in hand. ;-)

I remember so vividly where you are both at, and the excitement of moving on to purees. I made stewed fruit (sweetened with Canderel) which I stirred into the Total plain 0%. I felt as if I was cooking too - getting a pan out! Sad I know. Mash spuds were my friend - with cheese or soup. Here I am three months on and eating all sorts. So excited for you both. You are doing great! xxx

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Aww, love you two. Both bypassed on the same day so setting off on your journey hand in hand. ;-)

I remember so vividly where you are both at, and the excitement of moving on to purees. I made stewed fruit (sweetened with Canderel) which I stirred into the Total plain 0%. I felt as if I was cooking too - getting a pan out! Sad I know. Mash spuds were my friend - with cheese or soup. Here I am three months on and eating all sorts. So excited for you both. You are doing great! xxx

Lilacglittergirl

Fit and fantastic!
Kaz, dumping happens to bypassers if/ when we consume sugars and fats. In a layperson's terms - It's due to malabsorption as fats and sugars are processed 'neat' by the small intestine newly attached to the bottom of our pouch. In a non-bypassed person they would be first processed by the stomach before passing into the small intestine. For us, the body sends emergency troops to the gut to deal with the unexpected substances. Everyone is different in what percentages they can tolerate but the consequences are common to all - nausea, giddiness, cold sweats, hot flushes, shaking, diarrhoea. It is very unpleasant indeed and can be immediate or can come a few hours later. We can also dump if we drink with food. It is for life. For me I don't eat a high amount of fat (never have), but sugary foods I do. I aim for 7% or less sugar (the lower the better). Trust me dumping is so vile it puts you off ever wanting those foods again.

I would add, that it is a fundamental of life after a bypass and your provider should ensure you are fully aware ... There really is no negotiation with our bypassed systems as far as sugar is concerned. I recommend you access as much info on the matter as you can, as if you are caught out it can have consequences, especially if you are away from home, out of reach of a loo, or (God forbid) driving. xx

Last edited: