• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op date and doubts

Rainbow63

Hi all hope u are all keeping well, well I finally after 3 lonnnngg yrs of fighting for this have my date for bypass and to be quite honest I'm now having doubts about myself that I won't be strong enough to be able to live my life with such restrictions on wot I eat and drink I'm terrified il fail, it's crazy because all iv wanted for yrs is this and iv worked my socks off to get it, I know il never be a healthy weight and lead a long life without it as my health is pretty crap and iv yo yo dieted all my life so I know I can't do this alone,is it normal to have these doubts because iv been reading posts for weeks now and most of u seem confident that u can do this or is it normal to feel this overwhelming fear of failing??? Plz help!! Xx :confused:

you know the old saying be careful what you wish for as you might get it?....well it should be seen as a good thing ! its good in some ways to have a wobbly moment because I think we get use to things (even if we don't want it)been the way they are its almost a "safe place" and by YOU deciding to leave that place will shake up a lot of things at least that's how I see it but somewhere in you ,you have decided its time for a change and to get your life back,so keep on im sure its the right path for you keep us posted you have many friends here

Very normal! Its a sign that you understand the magnitude of the changes you're making and ultimately some people do cancel at this stage. Only you know what's right for you hun, but I can promise you, what seems drastic on the preop side seems very normal post op. I don't miss the way I used to eat. I don't miss out socially, if anything I'm out more. I have more confidence than ever :D

Having fear is natural and right, it is a life changing event. Personally I think there is something amiss when people dont have doubts. I went in to this, determined NOT to have the op, that I would somehow pull the rabbit out of the hat and lose the weight without the op. It didn't happen. So I knew I had to go for it.
I want to assure you, that the changes you will be making are manageable. I wish I knew before my op how having surgery would change my perspective on food and appetite. Would have saved me weeks of 'last meal syndrome' eating and distress. Much smaller portions will satisfy you the same way a large one would before. For example, I had lunch out with my friends today we went for jacket potatoes. afterwards we all complained of feeling stuffed. I had ate half of my jacket and chilli, my (thin) friends had eat all of there's plus garlic bread, lol. You may go off some foods completely (I've gone off crisps). You wont feel hunger in the same way, and your response to it will most likely be quite different. I still enjoy food, that never went away.

Nothing wrong with having a "wobble" moment... we all have! Anyone who says that they were not scared at having surgery is either mad or a liar. Post-op, like everything its something you will get quickly used to - and as you progress towards surgery you will be more prepared.

Speak to your nurse/GP/friends... try going to a local support group? always good to chat to others.

You have worked so hard to get there, the benefits long term will be so wonderful and you know that it is the best for you.

Keep going and dont give up. Im having a bypass on 17th Oct... I waited 2yrs and I cant wait. My goal is to be slimmer and fitter so I can travel to Australia to see my 2 god-sons in Alice Springs. Its my motivation!!!

GOOD LUCK x

Thanks for advice I'm glad that others had the same fears,I just feel that by having this overwhelming sense of fear that il fail is a sign I shouldn't be doing it even tho I know with all my heart if I don't my health will just get worse and I know il never do this on my own as iv battled all my life and failed to keep my weight under control so this is the only way for me but I'm still panicking eeeeek!!! :0)) x

Your surgery date is three days after mine so timeframe wise we are in the same place except I had a shorter wait due to all of my health issues and good GP etc. I too have had a wobble, proper scared. My wobble led me to the fridge and I completely over indulged and felt physically sick... so now I know that this is the only thing that is going to see me alive to be the best mum for my son... without it my son is in danger of becoming my carer. Good luck ... I will be coming out of hospital as you go in.. see you on the loosers bench. xxx

Hi beegee we should keep in touch we can compere notes lol!! I'm just shocked with myself because I never expected I'd feel this way it's crazy isn't it when it's what iv wanted for years, used to be on other weight loss forums were there were wls people on It and used to just think how lucky they were to be getting wls and wishing it was me and now it is ME And I'm terrified!!! Lol I'm such a wimp ;0)) x

Yes lets stay in touch...

My op is on a Saturday (19th) and although I am NHS its being done in a private hospital through a scheme that they are running here. .. when I told my mum she said 'oh that's lovely, at least the food will be good' ..... hmmm yes mother! :)

Haha typical mum thing to say ;0)..yes my op is nhs but I'm in a private part of hospital in aintree.. I'm so excited for the future now my fears are calming down a bit and it's a case of whatever will be will be x

Hi, this is my first time posting even though I have been in the background for a couple of months now. I am also due a bypass on the 19th October and start my pre op diet tomorrow. It's real now and the nerves are kicking in.

Hello Caz were all in the same boat now it's all very scary but exciting isn't it? I'm a nervous wreck but happy too, my minds flitting from overwhelming fear to uncontrollable excitement and I'm so bloody emotional I can't stop crying haha ..xx

Good luck to you all. I attended a group the other evening where several post op patients chatted about their experiences, and non of them expressed any regret about having their procedures, one of them said that she wished every overweight person could feel the joy she was experiencing.

Hi rainbow63, you summed up my feelings exactly. Although I wish I didn't feel so nervous. I know that I can't keep going the way I am at the moment and I am looking forward to a new me, better health and the ability to become more independent.

Hi ladies,

It's very normal to have nerves, I'm only post op by 10 days and about to embark on the 'purée' food stage. I, like many others, had a wobble moment, mine was from about a week out and lasted right up to the last second, I remember being on the table talking to the anaesthetist, and I swear I almost called it off then. It suddenly becomes very real! But you just have to remind yourself why you are doing this. I have an eating disorder and although I had the eating under control (mostly!), i couldn't shift the weight as my body didnt know if it was coming or going anymore. I have a family history of diabetes, heart disease and cancer and knew that if I didn't do something, I was seriously putting myself at risk. Although these 10 days haven't been exactly plain sailing, and I've had a few moments of buyers remorse, I'm pleased ive done it. I can't wait to get healthy and improve my self confidence.

We are all here to support you, if you need it.

Good luck

Jen xx

We will this time nxt few months and yrs to come hopefully be laughing at all this worrying and living a great life ....soooooo excited thinking of what the future could hold for us all xx

It's only early days for u jan isn't it so I'm sure given a few more days u will feed fine and ready to battle the world as they say ;0)).. Good luck Hun keep posting and let us know how your progressing ..x

Hi, this is my first time posting even though I have been in the background for a couple of months now. I am also due a bypass on the 19th October and start my pre op diet tomorrow. It's real now and the nerves are kicking in.

wow exactly the same as me then... good luck Caz lets all keep in touch to see how we get on. Just ben to Tesco and they have buy one get one free on yogs and a special offer on ww soup. x

Back