• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking

alisoomy71

Does anyone else on here smoke? Mr El-Hasani did mention I'd need to pack up smoking 2 weeks before the op I am not a heavy smoker it's 4pm and I have only had 1/2 a cigarette today, some days I don't have any.
To be honest I was thinking that when I try to pack up I tend to eat more but I thought if I try to pack up before, and after op I can't eat more so therefore wouldn't be able to and probably wouldn't feel like smoking. (don't smoke in my house). just wanted to know if anyone else was told to pack up?

Paula Garner

I used to smoke. But was told by my GP that id I wanted my referral to be accepted, I would have to be a non smoker. So I stopped smoking a year and a half ago.

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
I used to smoke but was also told to stop or my surgeon would refuse to operate, so I gave up very early on, after my first appointment with the dietician, as getting the operation was much more important. I've not smoked for 18 months and don't intend to start again. I don't see why anyone would bother to put themselves through life-saving surgery only to sabotage their health by carrying on smoking afterwards.

suepat10

The funding criteria in East Midlands is that you must be a non-smoker.

The Whittington in London say people have to give up before the pre-op diet, at least that's what it used to be x

vickylou

I was told to quit 6 weeks before my op, which I did 4 days early! Not had a smoke since the end of January now :)

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
I think it's great that so many of us have killed two birds with one stone and managed to kick the habit - we have been given a second chance by having our WLS, and we should be making the most of it by respecting our health for the future!

With the risk of blood clots, thrombosis, heart attacks etc during the op and post-op, you'd have to be mental to smoke during this journey, and smoking also slows down the healing process, so wounds are more liable to get infected afterwards - it's a no-brainer!

alisoomy71

That's it I've decided I too will give up smoking don't even smoke that much 20 usually last me just over a week.
So why do I bother....

vickylou

Good one go for it

snagglepuss

No regrets!!
Best of luck with it, it's amazing how much different I feel, not just breathing-wise but also I'm less stressed because I'm not always trying to find time to fit in a smoke, or wondering when my next fag break will be! :)

alisoomy71

I have 2 cigarettes left which I will have tomorrow and then that's it no more cigarettes for me. Cold turkey I will just stop! So as of the 8th of may I will be a non-smoker.

chrisa

Well its one habit i never accquired thankfully its hard enough trying to eat properly after our ops without stopping smoking as well,good luck and welldone for all those tryn to stop and all those who have conquered it. Never smoked so always thought it would be easier giving up smoking than the healthy eating regime as we have to eat where as we don't need smoking to live but i have seen members of my own family and friends struggle and know it is very hard and harder for some than it is others. Because of my allergies i could never have smoked my self, from a selfish point of view i was elated when smoking was banned in pubs because smoke and laughing and shouting on a night out in pubs used to irritate my airways and i used to end up with no voice, and could easily result in a dose of steroids and constant inhalers to try to keep it at bay. My eyes would stream and go red and bloodshot which on a night out ladies is not a good look. But i do understand and sympathise. xx

Evenstarr

If anyone needs any help with quitting, my hubby swore by the nasal spray and he's been stopped about 3 years now.
Em x

Paul-H

Hi

I used to be a 60 a day guy, but packed them up the day Dennis Healy put them up to a pound a packet, I couldn't understand how anyone could spend £3 a day on fags.

Now look at them.

Paul

Evenstarr

Hi

I used to be a 60 a day guy, but packed them up the day Dennis Healy put them up to a pound a packet, I couldn't understand how anyone could spend £3 a day on fags.

Now look at them.

Paul

I remember going to get my mum a packet when I was about 7 and they cost 54p for 20 Rothmans!
Em xxxx