• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Opinions with the sleeve

Hi Everyone, I am calling all sleevers here:

I would really appreciate your honest opinion regarding the gastric sleeve. Please tell me all the positives and negatives during and this procedure.

On Monday I had a consultation with Mr Ackroyd at the Claremont Hospital and basically his advice to me was to have the sleeve. I had my mind set on the band but he feels that the sleeve would be more appropriate due to the high level of obesity. Obviously I know for sure that Mr A is a world class surgeon and I know I would be in the best hands but the thought of invasive surgery is terrifying me. On the other hand, I think this would be perfect for me and help me in so many ways.

My girlfriend, Mother, ect know much I want to get healthy but they were in tears at the thought of me having my stomach reduce by 80%.

I have booked to have the surgery done on 13th August (they dont know yet!) but I am thinking of canceling it.

For the people that dont know, We have our first baby due in November and we are all so happy and excited about this, all I want is for everyone in my family, including me, to be happy. We are also moving into new house around the 18th August.

So, can all sleevers, please help me out here. I would love to hear your stories and reviews, no matter how bad! I would appreciate this so much, your advice would be invaluble to me at this moment.

Thanks for listening to me,

Best wishes,

John

I was originally due to have a bypass,but due to lesions had a sleeve carried out instead,the only down side of wls is fluids & pureed foods for weeks,but that's nothing compared with the benefit's,weight loss is steady,I still have my pyloric valve,dumping is very unlikely,long term my stomach ,may stretch,but if I cannot retrain my mindset within this time & maintain healthy eating then I should be ashamed of myself,wls is a tool to aid weight loss,but it's not easy or guaranteed

Love my sleeve!! No maintenance unlike the band and weight loss from day one.

I do dump but rarely.

Negatives? You can't eat a lot, ever again. Does it bother me? A bit but soon forgotten when I go shopping or look in the mirror.

Love my sleeve!! No maintenance unlike the band and weight loss from day one.

I do dump but rarely.

Negatives? You can't eat a lot, ever again. Does it bother me? A bit but soon forgotten when I go shopping or look in the mirror.

What foods do you find that make you dump?
Have you found the further post-op you are & with the swelling subsided that you could eat a little more than in the early day's

I dumped on a calippo on Sunday! Generally high fat or high sugar.

Yes of course I can eat more than at the beginning but still not a lot. I can't eat a child's portion like i thought I would be able to.

At my one year check up I was told that's good as it means I haven't stretched my sleeve.

8 wks out my negatives where I had no weight loss for 5 weeks post op was very stressed thinking id had surgery for nothing. 8 wks on im loosing in small amounts but its going. You will not be able to help with your house move so soon after surgery but you will be well healed and loosing by the time your baby is due. Would I do it again??? Yes definately wanting to be healthier is my key. ps my lack of weight loss is because im not very mobile due to other problems but im managing aquafit once a week now so im seeing the results :) Good luck

Hi River of dreams,

Following discussions with my surgeon who went through all the options with me, we jointly decided that a sleeve would be my best option. In his opinion, blokes don't do well with bands because of the necessary adjustments, we just prefer to have something done and not have to worry about maintenance.

I'm now just over 5 weeks post-op and everything is fantastic. I had never been in hospital before and my experience was nothing less than positive. Had a small amount of pain when I came round, quickly fixed by a dose of morphine and was then on paracetamol for my remaining stay in hospital (was in for a total of 2 days).

I was up walking about and drinking a cup of tea within about 2 hours of being back in my room after surgery with no discomfort at all.

When I was discharged they gave me some paracetamol tablets, which I didn't bother taking because I had no pain and have not had any pain since coming home. I have not felt nauseas at all since my surgery, not even in hospital although they did give me anti-nausea medication as standard procedure. Some people have said that they have dumped after sleeve or bypass surgery, with sleeves it is less likely but still possible, personally it's not happened to me, maybe that's because I don't have a sweet tooth so tend to stay away from high sugar foods. It may happen though when I start exploring what I do like to eat and I will be ready for it.

My provider had me on 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks pureed (cat food diet), 2 weeks soft foods, which I'm now on before finally going back to normal eating.

The 2 week pre-op liver shrinkage diet was OK, boring, but OK - I did Heinz Weight Watcher Soups and Muller Light Yoghurts some days and Slim Fast pre mixed drinks the others, I could pick and choose from the options I was given as long as I didn't mix n match from different options on the same day.

My weight has slowly been reducing I lost 15lbs on the pre-op diet and since surgery have lost another 25lbs so 40lbs in total over 7 weeks. I feel fantastic mentally, better than I have done for years. I've thrown out the majority of my old clothes as I'm not going back there again and for as far back as I can remember I don't feel hungry always. Prior to surgery I was nearly always hungry which was why I ate, my diet was good, it was just the quantity, now with the bit of my stomach gone that produces a lot of the hormone that makes you feel hungry I have to remember to eat. Like any form of weight loss surgery your weight loss can stall for awhile and you need to be ready for this and not to worry.

Food quantities are really small, so saving loads of money, at this rate my reduction in food bills will probably pay for the surgery itself. :)

Surgical wounds, well I got away with just 4 incisions, 2 small and 2 a bit larger. No external stitches or staples, just steri-strips. Didn't have a drain or a catheter, every surgeon is different so this may vary from person to person.

Negatives, well I guess there had to be some - for me, the only one I can think of was the pain from the trapped wind. Hit me just as I was about to leave hospital and lasted for a few days but as the gas was slowly absorbed by my body it got better before finally going - it was bearable so not too much to worry about. Oh and if you're style conscious the pants they make you wear for surgery will ruin your day :(

Would I go through the whole experience again if I had to - absolutely without any hesitation what so ever. This was one of the best decisions I ever made in my life, and now thanks to making that decision I've got my life back. :D

Obviously with anything, peoples experiences will vary and this was just my experience. Listen to what others have to say, then sit down and make your decision because it's your body and you have the ultimate say.

I wish you every success with whatever decision you make and if you have any other questions I'll be more than happy to answer them.

AE.

I would definitely recommend the sleeve. I was supposed to have bypass but I had adhesions on my bowel and a rare bowel anatomy, so the surgeon decided to do the sleeve instead. I am really pleased with it, the only downside 10 weeks on is as someone else said, you can only eat small amounts of food!!! On the plus side I am losing weight (slowly but still 34lbs in 10 weeks) I can eat most foods, I have never dumped, my hair hasn,t fallen out yet, and I feel so much better. The op itself is not bad at all, nowhere near as much pain as I expected.
I am surprised they are prepared to do the op while you are pregnant however. Did they say there would be any problem with that?:confused:

I suspect he's the father mad cat!

I'm not a sleeve but have tried two other flavours of wls. A band and now upgraded to a bypass.

Band........ just don't do it. Simples.

If your surgeon recommends the sleeve over a bypass. That's the flavour for you ;)

If you follow the guideline after surgery you will be ok... I had my sleeve done in 2009 and successfully lost about 6st in 9 months. Unfortunately I regained every bit and some as my stomach stretched back to near normal . I didn't follow guidelines as what to eat and all... Plus I didn't have much after care... Use your sleeve wisely and you will be just fine...

Thank you to each and everyone of you for your comments. They are really helpful to me at a time in need!!

I so want to go ahead with the sleeve and feel 110% ready for life after the sleeve, but...

I am very concerned of any complications that may arise during and after surgery, for example, bleeding, clots, staple leaks, ect and not forgetting death!! :(

It terrifies me, even though I know full well that the odds stack in my favor. I just hope that I keep this appointment and go ahead with the planned surgery. I just want to lose the excess weight and be healthy. My BMI at the min is 62 - However, I do manage to hold down a full time job and a good quality of life. Other than the obesity, I have a clean bill of health, - No High blood pressure, No diabetes, and recently had a full blood test and every result was normal. I think thats why the surgeon thinks " You'll do well with a sleeve"

I guess time will tell! but I am still very undecided I just wish I could make up my mind!!!!

Please keep the comments coming, I really do value everyone of them and appreciate them very much, especially to all you people have been through this process.

Thanks again,

John :)

Hi John
Firstly welcome to the forum :D
I had every intentions of having a band! after reading about it and knowing someone that already had it and their weightloss, I stuck to the programme and met the consultant and after their discussions they recommended me to have a sleeve which I knew nothing of! so I go away and do my homework and like you I was terrified of them reducing my stomach etc but after reading many peoples success stories I was convinced it was the best thing for me.
I am a Type 1 diabetic with high blood pressure broken my back twice! yes twice I was about 5 stone over weight which wasn't good for my health. I lost my brother nearly 4 yrs ago and my main concerns was if my parents outlived me I was worried for them, then once agreed to the surgery I too again was worried if anything went wrong during surgery and after! and its only natural to worry about these things.
But being 5 weeks post op today I look back and ask myself would I go thru with it again....Dam sure I would, my life has changed in 5 weeks and I feel so much better in myself and the best part is when people say to you wow you look amazing! I have a few more stone to loose yet and I'm following all guidelines to a tee which is the important thing. however this week I have come to a plateau which has been stated that its normal! hoping next week will be better :D

Only you can make them decisions whether to go thru with it! don't read the bad publicity about side affects and what can happen as they are only a small %
At the end of the day you have to think that carrying excess weight isn't good for the heart etc. so by loosing the weight you can add many more years to your life! that's what I told my parents as they were not happy for me to have surgery! I want to live a long life seeing my kids grow and have their own families etc

Good luck with your decision and wish you all the best

Kaz
x

John,

Another sleever here - I had the same (fabulous) surgeon as Alpha Echo and my procedure was done 5 weeks ago today, the same day as Wolfeyes. Although I'm not <glances down> a bloke, I was told something similar to AE about the maintenance issues when I first enquired about a band and my surgeon also told me that his practice is now increasingly sleeves over bands, or band revisions to sleeves. I have also read that, in years to come, banding will cease to be an option based on how efficient it is (or is not).

Also like AE, I am very happy with the decision that I made and I suffered very little pain, other than some immediate post surgery nausea and then some on going fatigue. I did a LOT of research (what can I say? I'm a lawyer - it's all about the research and the risk!) about having this done (and, to be frank, spending the money) and I'm very happy with how I feel at the moment. I'm 29lbs down including the pre-diet and the post surgical loss and I already feel lighter and healthier.

If you don't currently have any co-morbidities (nor did I) then you're in a very strong position compared to many and the risks around having a general ana are far lower. Once I understood how fortunate I was to not have any existing medical issues, that actually strengthened my resolve to go ahead with the surgery, as I felt that I'd been lucky to date to get to 50 as relatively healthy, but I was also very aware that the situation could change at any time.

I hope that helps to share a bit of my story and I wish you the very best of luck with your decision and the next exciting stages of your life x

John,

Another sleever here - I had the same (fabulous) surgeon as Alpha Echo and my procedure was done 5 weeks ago today, the same day as Wolfeyes. Although I'm not <glances down> a bloke, I was told something similar to AE about the maintenance issues when I first enquired about a band and my surgeon also told me that his practice is now increasingly sleeves over bands, or band revisions to sleeves. I have also read that, in years to come, banding will cease to be an option based on how efficient it is (or is not).

Also like AE, I am very happy with the decision that I made and I suffered very little pain, other than some immediate post surgery nausea and then some on going fatigue. I did a LOT of research (what can I say? I'm a lawyer - it's all about the research and the risk!) about having this done (and, to be frank, spending the money) and I'm very happy with how I feel at the moment. I'm 29lbs down including the pre-diet and the post surgical loss and I already feel lighter and healthier.

If you don't currently have any co-morbidities (nor did I) then you're in a very strong position compared to many and the risks around having a general ana are far lower. Once I understood how fortunate I was to not have any existing medical issues, that actually strengthened my resolve to go ahead with the surgery, as I felt that I'd been lucky to date to get to 50 as relatively healthy, but I was also very aware that the situation could change at any time.

I hope that helps to share a bit of my story and I wish you the very best of luck with your decision and the next exciting stages of your life x

Hello, Many thanks for your reply and comments, It helps me very much.

I know I need to do this and the people like you, AE and the rest of the wonderful folk on here are truly inspirational.

With all this brilliant advice I just hope I come to the correct decision. I just want the sleeve so much but I'm concerned of even the slightest of risks. I have to make this choice based not just on me, but the whole of my family and future baby.

In an ideal world, I'd proceed with surgery and with a bit of luck I would havee fully recovered within 4 weeks max.

Time will tell I suppose, but of your success stories are helping my massively.

Thank you all again

John :)

I have had band to sleeve revision. My band was fantastic for a long time, it helped me lose 10.5 stone. Then I had a reaction to an anti-biotic which made it too tight. I was in a fill/defill cycle for about 10 months after that only to end up then with a leak. I regained about 3 stone in the year of trouble and got back into a horrible mind set. I decided against repairing the leak and opting for a revision to sleeve as I couldn't face the possibility of more problems requiring surgery in the future, or the thought of getting back into the fill/defill cycle again.

To be honest I found the band to be an almost constant worry in the back of my mind, I was so worried about slippage, erosion, being too tight, being too lose. Getting fills/defills. Trying to figure out if my restriction level was a safe one by reading lots of stuff online etc.

I was absolutely terrified going for revision surgery, after being through one type of bariatric surgery I never even imagined I'd be going back a second time and for something a lot more major. I panicked, I changed my mind a million times but I went through with it and so far it was the best decision I have made.

I had very little pain afterwards, far less than after the band. I was completely mobile within about 3 days. I was out shopping and even went to work for a few hours within a week. I have had no problems so far at all. I know I'm only a new sleever but honestly, once I've healed fully, I am so looking forward to having a weightloss tool that doesn't have any maintenance needed and the possible problems I worried about constantly with the band.

If I could turn back time I'd go for the sleeve first time around.

I have had band to sleeve revision. My band was fantastic for a long time, it helped me lose 10.5 stone. Then I had a reaction to an anti-biotic which made it too tight. I was in a fill/defill cycle for about 10 months after that only to end up then with a leak. I regained about 3 stone in the year of trouble and got back into a horrible mind set. I decided against repairing the leak and opting for a revision to sleeve as I couldn't face the possibility of more problems requiring surgery in the future, or the thought of getting back into the fill/defill cycle again.

To be honest I found the band to be an almost constant worry in the back of my mind, I was so worried about slippage, erosion, being too tight, being too lose. Getting fills/defills. Trying to figure out if my restriction level was a safe one by reading lots of stuff online etc.

I was absolutely terrified going for revision surgery, after being through one type of bariatric surgery I never even imagined I'd be going back a second time and for something a lot more major. I panicked, I changed my mind a million times but I went through with it and so far it was the best decision I have made.

I had very little pain afterwards, far less than after the band. I was completely mobile within about 3 days. I was out shopping and even went to work for a few hours within a week. I have had no problems so far at all. I know I'm only a new sleever but honestly, once I've healed fully, I am so looking forward to having a weightloss tool that doesn't have any maintenance needed and the possible problems I worried about constantly with the band.

If I could turn back time I'd go for the sleeve first time around.

Thanks for your help, It seems there are no negatives comments and It is very encouraging hearing about everybody's vast amount of success. I am so happy for you all and if I'm honest, a little bit envious.

I just want it over and done with and then I will be happy. All this uncertainty on my behalf is literally driving me insane. When I feel that I have reached a decision it suddenly changes and I get all nervous and negative about the sleeve. Then I have a massive positive feel about the sleeve and feel really relaxed and excited about having it.

Oh well, away I go yet again to do a little more research (again!) :)

Thanks again to each and every one of your comments, it really is helping me.

Best wishes,

John

Not a sleever hun but thought I might put a different perspective on things. I have always been big even as a kid. I was always active though and had no real health issues until I hit 17yrs when I developed asthma.. I was at my lightest adult weight ever then as I had dieted down to around 11st but i had done so in a rather reckless fashion and actually became rather ill but that I another story.. Anyhow the slimmer me didnt last a year and with all the steroid treatment i required i ballooned right back up to around 17 st but apart from the weight, asthma and pcos I was really fighting fit. As I got into my thirties i had yoyoed with the birth of my three children but I had gained slightly more overall & my joints and spine had became painful. I was told that all my discs had been compromised and were crumbling. They couldn't tell me why but they did hint that I needed to lose a bit and I was put on a weight management programme... My heart wasn't in it and unsurprisingly I failed. My asthma over the years had got worse too. I developed IBS, diverticular disease etc etc. I used to joke that every year I aged I gained a new disease but in reality it was no joke. At 42 I was seriously ill with pneumonia which saw me hospitalised for many weeks as I struggled to get well again....and with it came weight management course no 2. But I ballooned over the next ten years from 22st to my biggest ever 27&1/2 st. I found myself on a few more weight management courses in that ten years as more health issues cropped up. I was in a big downward spiral & I had given up by this time as the mountain I had to climb seemed just way out of reach and too unrealistic.
Looking on it now 8st down & with the prospect of bypass surgery happening in the very very near future I only wish that I had came across the astute orthopaedic surgeon who set me on this journey 13 years ago just before I had got into that big downward spiral. That's hindsight for you & hindsight is a wonderful thing but in honesty the evidence is out there that obesity not only affects our quality of life but can effectively shorten it too.
My reality last year was life in a wheelchair and an enlarged heart. It was to be my wake up call. Okay so now I'm 8stone lighter, i know my back isn't going to miraculously fix itself and my knees are still wonky but I can't explain enough how my weight loss has given me part of my life back ..I just need to look at my 10month old granddaughter knowing that should she make a mad dash for the stairs i can now actually catch her before she gets there! That's all the proof I need to know I am making the right choice :)

Last edited:
Back