• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Opinions with the sleeve

Thanks for your help, It seems there are no negatives comments and It is very encouraging hearing about everybody's vast amount of success. I am so happy for you all and if I'm honest, a little bit envious.

I just want it over and done with and then I will be happy. All this uncertainty on my behalf is literally driving me insane. When I feel that I have reached a decision it suddenly changes and I get all nervous and negative about the sleeve. Then I have a massive positive feel about the sleeve and feel really relaxed and excited about having it.

Oh well, away I go yet again to do a little more research (again!) :)

Thanks again to each and every one of your comments, it really is helping me.

Best wishes,

John

John

All I would add at this stage is that you can actually drive yourself quite demented by doing research - I know that I nearly did. I got to a point where I said that I would STOP researching (particularly on-line) and just go on what my brain was telling me based on conversations with medical professionals. There is no such thing as a risk-free medical procedure and I believe insanity lies further along the road of searching and searching for the risk free operation.

I watched a documentary about bariatric surgeons earlier this week and both of the profiled doctors emphasised the significance of getting the general anaesthetic right in these procedures; my pre-op BMI was lower than yours but I still had two meetings with the anaethetist (sp) and I think this is standard. The programme I watched featured the journey of two patients: a woman with a BMI of 100 who lost 8 stones in her first two months post op and a man who started out at 37 stones and lost 15 of those in the next 18 months. I do believe that safety awareness is absolutely paramount and is at its highest amongst bariatric surgeons.

Again, HTH.

John

All I would add at this stage is that you can actually drive yourself quite demented by doing research - I know that I nearly did. I got to a point where I said that I would STOP researching (particularly on-line) and just go on what my brain was telling me based on conversations with medical professionals. There is no such thing as a risk-free medical procedure and I believe insanity lies further along the road of searching and searching for the risk free operation.

I watched a documentary about bariatric surgeons earlier this week and both of the profiled doctors emphasised the significance of getting the general anaesthetic right in these procedures; my pre-op BMI was lower than yours but I still had two meetings with the anaethetist (sp) and I think this is standard. The programme I watched featured the journey of two patients: a woman with a BMI of 100 who lost 8 stones in her first two months post op and a man who started out at 37 stones and lost 15 of those in the next 18 months. I do believe that safety awareness is absolutely paramount and is at its highest amongst bariatric surgeons.

Again, HTH.

Hi there,

On Thursday I think the whole situation was actually making me feel ill/sick and I thought yesterday, I need to take a step back, so I did and I feel better for it. I took your sound advice on board and yesterday I never went online or spoke about "it"

I have found the people on here, like you, to be extremely helpful and offered me lots of support and appreciate that so much. I intend to stick around here for the duration and I have every intention to provide lots of support and help to people who need it. I think this is a fantastic website and the people on here are amazing.

I also watched the same program that you mentioned, I think it was called "fat surgeons" it was very interesting and informative. Well worth a look at. It was on a channel called "really" - Sky channel 248. It is also available on free view but I'm not sure of the channel number.

Best wishes

John

Hi John,

Jozefina and I seem to have a mutual appreciation society going on between us :D and I cannot disagree with her in the slightest here. Too much research eventually does your head in and you end up with information overload which just confuses the issue. Be aware also that TV programmes tend to sensationalise things - because it makes good TV. I saw a programme just before I had my surgery that almost put me off and I spoke to my surgeon about it - he very politely laughed and quickly put my mind at rest - maybe that's why I was so relaxed on the day of my surgery, because I trusted my surgeon to do it right. I guess if your going on holiday and flying - you have to put your trust in the flight crew to know what they'e doing - sometimes you just have to hand yourself over to others and trust them.

The surgeon who is doing your op isn't going to risk their reputation or private practice by telling you a load of old rubbish - so if ever in doubt ask your surgeon - you're paying for their expertise so don't be frightened of using it.

AE.

Back