• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Orlistat Post op

ryanpeel81

Hi,, some advise please. I had my bypass in 2013, originally 38 stone, at my best got down to 16 stone but plateaued at 18/19 stone the past few years. Earlier this year I lost 3 stone and reached 16 stone again but since May I have put on just under 5 and am currently around 20.5 stone. I am not a huge eater as still only manage small meals but I binge and have done a lot of that lately. I'm bi-polar and they upped my meds which is adding to the weight gain. I know the answer is too stop binge eating but as you all know its never that simple. Have any of you used Orlistat again (post op) and did you doctor prescribe it easy enough? I'd be keen to go on Orlistat for a few months to kick things back in to action. I want to aim to get back down to 15/16 stone for next summer? Would welcome any advice? Thanks, Ryan

Sarnie

Hi,, some advise please. I had my bypass in 2013, originally 38 stone, at my best got down to 16 stone but plateaued at 18/19 stone the past few years. Earlier this year I lost 3 stone and reached 16 stone again but since May I have put on just under 5 and am currently around 20.5 stone. I am not a huge eater as still only manage small meals but I binge and have done a lot of that lately. I'm bi-polar and they upped my meds which is adding to the weight gain. I know the answer is too stop binge eating but as you all know its never that simple. Have any of you used Orlistat again (post op) and did you doctor prescribe it easy enough? I'd be keen to go on Orlistat for a few months to kick things back in to action. I want to aim to get back down to 15/16 stone for next summer? Would welcome any advice? Thanks, Ryan
Hi Ryan, have you been in touch with your surgery team to get some advice and help with your weight gain? I'm not certain but I'm thinking Orlistat wouldn't be suitable for a bypass patient as we already have malabsorbtion and that would add to it as well as problems with a rerouted bowel, but the only way to find out for certain is to ask your team or GP, although GPs are not the best people to give advice about anything to do with WLS. Have you tried going back to basics, like when you first had your op, starting with liquids and building up to a healthy diet?
I used Orlistat years ago, way before my surgery and didn't find it very effective and it had horrific side effects, I was frightened to not have a toilet close by and I didn't lose any significant weight with it.

Bling Babe

I’m not sure this would be an answer because it discards the fat we eat but we are not supposed to be having a lot of fat, as @Sarnie says best contact your team, good luck