• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Start of my journey

vain

Hi am vain I've been on the forum now for a few months following seeing my GP . I have been reading all the lovely support thank people have on this forum and feel overwhelmed so I would like to tell my story will edit to not be too long : )
So never was a overweight child I think my weight started to fluctuate following my 4 children I started at around 10-9 stone with each child I gained I lost largest probably 17 stone.

I lost a considerably amount about 2000 following organic diet and being in a good head space my husband had bad accident so we both reevaluated our lives he retrained as did I , so June 2006 weight 16 stone started access course during this time I was quite unwell which turned out to be Graves' disease . The doctors were prompt and I opted for surgery have total thyroidectomy which was like a new me I felt 100% better.

I noticed that I was putting more weight on and in the sept 2006 I started my nursing course weighing 20-21 stone was very bubbly and confident up to then not much health issues , I finally qualified and lost some weight getting too 18 stone in 2013 each holiday was a struggle I'd say am gonna lose weight as the embarrassment on a plane is awful but I would yo-yo up and down but slowly since this year I've crept up to 23.2 stone . I had a really bad upper gastric pain last year which was my gallbladder but subsequently found out my BP was very high , so was put on medication straight away , I could not believe that at 41 I was hypertensive and that I was on BP medication I thought this would scare me into losing weight but it's just so hard.

I went to my GP who was looking after my BP I did some research as I was told by GP that I did not meet the criteria This was jan 2014 I decided to investigate this and contacted the surgeon well there assistants who sent me detailed email with full criteria , so went back to GP and she was so responsive not the usually judgemental attitude she was caring sympathetic I took the pro forma and she filled this out and said she would refer me I was delighted as was sick of GP saying you need to lose weight but offer no support at all.

Well forward to today July I have just had education session which was good I asked questions I feel it's the only choice for me I know there's no quick fix or miracle , but I will have long think do some research and more than likely call bariatric team in 2 weeks as stated at meeting and confirm I want to proceed, I asked about time scale waiting list so apparently after education session you need to wait 2 weeks if you chose to progress then you will be given consultant appointment where at this appointment you see dietitian and if all is ok you go on the list and the list for Derby is no more then 6 months am not sure how true this is but as this is my start time will tell am excited, worried , nervous but most of all sick of being obese I have hypertension knee and back pain and am still only 41 so time to change I hope to keep posted on my journey sorry if this is too long

I do talk way too much lol ?

Hi and good luck on your journey :)

Back