• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OT swine flu

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
ok i just would like a general idea of what cases you guys have in your local areas, my son is 8 years old, his juniour school is ok for now but the next school half a mile down the road has been shut down as 2 teachers and 5 kids have this flu, and i got a official letter tonight from ryans school saying that they are aware of the situation ect ect and have 1 possible case from the infant school which is directly across the road from the juniour school that my son goes to. its been on all the local news tonight and its concerning me at this point.

im calm at the moment just a little concerned, is this happening in your area as well as mine ?

just wanted a bigger picture country wide.

thanks for any input from a very concerned mum x

I know of 2 people at the local gym that had it (hence why it was safer to buy Jake lol) and there has been 2 reported cases at a school across town from me but other than that I never listen to the news to be honest. I've all on knowing what I'm doing let alone the rest of Rotherham. (such a sad b*tch are'nt I)

Liz, I live in Bham which is ( I think) the main hotspot for swine flu in England at present. Brunetteandred will know more as she works within the pct with the highest number of cases,

All I would say is that swine flu has been so massively overhyped. I know a few people now that have had it, including my nephew and two colleagues as well as many friends of friends. All have said its a mild illness - cough, cold, sore throat. People were being isolated for 5 days and treated with tamiflu, but its been on the news now saying no point isolating as its spreading so fast anyway and its best to get the illness while its mild before it has the chance to mutate into something nasty.

As a mum, I can totally understand your concern, but if R is unfortunate enough to catch it, it prob wont be any worse than any cold hes had before.

If I could commit selective genocide and get away with it, I would target the media for whipping up the frenzy about swine flu! Grrrrrr.

Seasonal flu kills 100's every year. Thus far 14, yes, 14 people have died having contracted swine flu. But all of these people had serious underlying health issues. My thoughts and condolences go to the families and friends of those 14 people.

As Sam says, this flu is showing to be no worse than a mild cold and the usual preventative measures should be being taken - measures that our grandmothers and their grandmothers before them would have taken as second nature:

1. Always wash your hands - especially after sneezing or coughing into them
2. Use a tissue to cough or sneeze into and dispose of it carefully

This is going to be particularly important as the winter approaches.

Antiviral medication is being prescribed for those in high risk groups.

Here is the official public advice:

People should go online and check their symptoms on www.nhs.uk, call NHS Direct (0845 46 47) or call the Swine Flu information line on 0800 1 513 513. If they are still concerned, they should then call their GP, who can provide advice over the phone.

Focus on hand hygiene (catch it, bin it, kill it), but due to high demand the emphasis now is on people using NHS services appropriately, i.e. not going to A&E if they’ve got flu, and visiting their GP only if required (patient is at high risk).

Hi Liz the local secondary school had 2 cases and they closed for a week. A school about 8 miles away where my nephews go also had a case but they stayed open. I heard on the local radio station the other day that the schools in our area will be staying open if there are any more cases because at the moment it is only mild. I think they are expecting it to be worse in the autumn when the children go back to school. Hope you will all be ok take care.

No cases in our area but I live in a very small village of just over 100 people. Given my twin daughters precarious health, I have been advised to do everything Brunetteandred suggested. Our GP's have said swine flu is truly no more dangerous than normal flu, which could be fatal for my little ones regardless.

strange coincidence but my 7yr old daughter came home from school yesterday with a letter and imformation sheet, it had been confirmed that there is a case of swine flu in her school:eek:! following guidelines the school is staying open so business as usual, i was shocked at first but once it sinks in i guess you just have to get on with it, thanks to the media it does make you worry :confused:

thankyou to everyone thats replyed to this thread, i will follow the guide lines set and will just see how it goes as school term lasts 1 more week here before the summer break, so will just keep a close eye on the situation.

thanks

liz x

It is definitely very scary. I am worried putting my oldest daughter on a plane knowing that this is out there.

There are a few cases in our area and at work we already have face masked and 70% alchol hand wash waiting in the cupboard just in case any of our ladies or staff get it

There is a lot o media hype of this virus. As with all viruses, there are groups of society who are susceptible - such as the elderly, the infirm, type 1 diabetics etcand anyone who either has an underlying medical condition or who is currently not well. Generally, those who contract it are confined to their beds for a couple of / few days (as with regular flu) and are right as rain in a few days. The cases whereby death has been the outcome, all had pre-existing medical problems.

It is always better to be cautious but also to remember that time and time again, the media hypes these things up into a frenzy.

The appointment system has been changed a little at our surgery so that potential carriers are not in the waiting room with others...Receptionist are 'only' asking if the patients have flu like symptoms when making appointments...those with symptoms are being referred to a triage that the doctors are taking turns with which is done over the phone first.

The practice manager told me that there are a lot more cases of swine flu in the area than I imagined but it is no more harmful than any other flu and it's only those with pre-existing serious underlying health problems that it poses a threat to.

One teenager died last week at my local hospital...again there were underlying medical conditions.

I would imagine that anyone who has had recent surgery, bypassers included would have to be careful too???

(((hugs)))

Huge Huge Hype about this bloody hate the media for it :mad::mad:

My son has it was diagnosed yesterday and is on tamiflu for five days and is off school ,i knew he had it the night before but I'm not a fussy mum , i know only too well with my background in nursing that this is just a bad case of flu.He had a high temp bad cough and was sick but he is still active and oinking at me as he finds the name funny :D,

A friend of mine her husband and her two year old son have got it they were diagnosed two days ago and are also on tamiflu, have said they feel just like they have flu and there son had a temperature and been off it but other than that he is fine .

But thanks to the media its now got people like yourself scared. i don't need to point out statistics there already on this thread further up ,but will say only those with underlying health issues and elderly and very young are at the worst risk as with all seasonal flu strains.

after i rang my sons school to tell them they contacted my GP to get confirmation. then two more older pupils have been confirmed an hour after my son at the same school (they had been up to secondary school this week so that school has been told of it and has sent letters out ),my sons school sent letters out yesterday ,but it spreads like normal flu so no point hiding from it your better off getting it, as like with all strains of cold and flue your body will get immunity to that strain and you wont get that exact strain again.at least that's how it normally works.

I know two schools in the area have it now and a few schools in the city. it wont be long till most of us have had it or have it, its inevitable. But also nothing to worry about ... no one worries about catching the normal seasonal flu!!!. even though that kills more people than this one. but that's because the media don't whip it up in to a killing frenzy.

If anyone gets symptoms just call your GP don't go in, and they will call back or ask you to go in. Its now being treated with tamiflu and guidelines are to stay away from schools and jobs and so on only if you have symptoms.

I have however spoke to my daughters infants (as the juniors that my son is at had not told them ) and as a precaution taken her out till Monday just in case.. but only as i care about the younger kids in the nursery area of the school and they will both go back at the end of next week as soon as my son is better .

hi honey i agree it seems a little to hyped up, i hope your son feels better soon xxx

nice to see you back on the forums, how are you ?

liz x

hi honey i agree it seems a little to hyped up, i hope your son feels better soon xxx

nice to see you back on the forums, how are you ?

liz x

It is hugely hyped up don't worry about it too much . Just keep an eye on all members of your family and contact a GP and treat like a bad flu ,that is of course as long as there is no one with serious health problems then stay on the side of caution with them .

My son is ok, he eating at this very moment so like i said really not that bad.. and my son has a problem with his lungs so i was worried like i always am when he gets a cough but so far he is fine and handling it ok.And thinks he is a big boy as he is taking tablets for the first time lol as there only small capsules so easy to swallow and he insisted he could do it lol.

I'm fine ta finally got my band working and off to see dietitian next Monday (only waited 10 months for it lol but got there in the end !)hopefully in a few months i can do before and progress pics lol.

You look good in your new pic btw xx

I'm in London and I don't know anyone who has it.

Back