• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain killer pain

salski

Hello all - its been a long long while since I posted here so a little amout me:
I am Sally. I am 3 years post op and in that time I have had a baby who is now 16 months old. I developed late stage dumping syndrome during my pregnancy which was so severe my hospital are writing a report on my case and publishing it in a medical paper to help anyone else as there was no case as severe as mine apparently (?!)
Once my baby (Elsie) was born about 6 months after I started with a pain every few months that floored me. It was a strange pain that hospitalised me each time and moved all over my torso. It last about 5 minutes each time and lasted about 6 hours. It was like contractions during labour and came at regular intervals. I have had every test under the sun and also have investatagive surgery to see if it was a twisted bowel - which it was not.
I could tell when the pain was coming on and usually took a codein, tramadol or ibuprofen (which my surgeon prescribed) but nothing worked. Usually I was administered morphine when in the ambulance or hospital which again didnt work. The only thing that seemed to help was gas and air.
I had a headache on holiday and took a co-codamol and low and behold 10 minutes later I was writhing around on the floor with the hotel staff wanting to ring an ambulance. I did not want to go to a Spanish hospital and have to give my full medical history but I did work out that this pain was due to pain killers. I must have been exasperating my pain in the past by taking pain killers to get rid of the pain?! I had an inkling at this previously but was assured by doctors that this would definitely not be the case....seems I was right though.
I wondered if anyone else has heard or suffers with this?
Sally

Oh thats awful for you at least you know what causes it now, your little one is beautiful, well done you xx

Hi Sal and welcome back.

I am always telling people not to take NSAIDS of which ibuprofen is one, Unless its under Dr's orders
I have really bad stomach pains and sickness when I have taken them in the past,
I also had the same kind of reaction with Tramadol.

Are you also taking PPI (proton pump inhibitor) such as lansoprazole, omeprazole or rabeprazole, as these help protect stomach.

Hiya Salski,
I remember you from when I was a pre-opper. seems like a long time ago now.
Sorry to hear about your pain and dumping syndrome. How did your weight loss go in the end? Nothing like a baby to unrail a diet lol ( she looks gorgeous btw!).
Anyway, welcome back. I hope you'll stick around and share your experiences with us. The support on here is, as always, superb !
xx

Hi guys - thanks for your replies!
I have had a private reply from someone who thinks they too suffer from something similar. They think it might be trapped wind which I have to admit has crossed my mind previously.
Im just a bit exasperated by all bloody pain! Ive had dihorreah since August last year and most days end up with a bad belly ache. Today Im sat here doubled over and its took me ages to sit and reply - Im sure its all related and Im waiting to find out if it is and more importantly what I can do to stop it!
I do take my omeprazole religiously - x2 :)
Weight wise. I got to 11.5 stone 12 months out, and got pregnant a week later. I put on 2.5 stone with the pregnancy and the hypos as I could only eat brown carbs for 9 months! I have since lost a stone of that and Im working on losing at least another half a stone in the next few weeks. I will then be trying to maintain :)
Thanks for the warm welcome back :)
Sally

Back