• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

pain

newgal

i have just stumbled on this site whilst googling for advice. i have had a bypass 3 weeks ago. i am doing well except for discomfort under my ribcage sort of at my muffin top area. it seems to be mainly on the left hand side. i had keyhole surgery. is this discomfort normal it feels quite achy and how long does it last thank you.

I'm pre op but will tell you what i've heard.... WIND!

A lot of people complain about this pain and its wind, moving around will get rid of it...

At least thats what i think, am sure an experienced post op will be along shortly to give words of comfort n wisdom xx

Im three weeks post op today and still get the odd niggle , i think its just things knitting back together. As long as its not a major pain and just a genral ache you should be ok, but if it continues or your worried contact your team and they will put your mind at rest x

hiya and :welcome:, congratulations on having your op :gen126: it may be wind or the effects of the gas they use to blow up stomach but if you are worried contact your team and they will help, you don't say where you had your op? :)

I'm nearly 3 months post-op and I think if it's anything like the pain/discomfort I had, again mainly on the left side, that it's more likely to be internal healing and your insides re-arranging themselves. At the 6 week check up the hospital stressed that although the outside heals very quickly with keyhole surgery it is still a major op and your insides take a lot longer to settle.

The pain does lessen but it took me nearly 9 weeks before I was completely pain free. I probably did too much lifting as I live on my own which probably hindered the healing process, so take things as easy as you can and hopefully you will soon feel better.

Lynda

hugs hope u feel better soon xx

I had the same pain, my op was done by key hole too. It took ages to go and was agony, it eventually eased and then I got a chest infection, all the coughing brought it back and I was back in agony. All in all the pain lasted about 5 weeks.

I've read many have had the same pain, so it seems normal. It does ease so just persevere. I took Nurofen Meltlets for the pain, they did seem to help.
x

Welcome to the site! The pain your describe is very common, I had it and I know others having their op around the same as me did too. If it's really uncomfortable or worrying you though phone your wls team to get their advice.

Good luck with the weightloss journey,
Cuppa xx

I was told it hurts more on the left as that is the way they go in for the keyhole op;)Hope you feel better soon, as my pain wasn't too bad after the first few weeks x:D

Back