• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

painkillers 4 weeks post op

tubbyspud

Hi
Can anyone offer me some help regarding pain killers? I have a splitting headache and the dreaded TOTM!!! terrible stomach cramps worse than before i had the op. I was wondering if at 4 weeks post op i can take nurofen or parecetamol in tablet form now?? I did'nt need syrup painkillers after my op so have none in the house.
Any suggestions please. xxxx

You could try dissolvable ones ie in water, dont taste very nice but if you are wary of tablets! x

Crunch your pain relief down add a little water to make a paste and add rest of water..............

hi
can anyone offer me some help regarding pain killers? I have a splitting headache and the dreaded totm!!! Terrible stomach cramps worse than before i had the op. I was wondering if at 4 weeks post op i can take nurofen or parecetamol in tablet form now?? I did'nt need syrup painkillers after my op so have none in the house.
Any suggestions please. Xxxx

Vics was it bypass or band you had?

If bypass - don't take nurofen in any form. All NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) are strictly forbidden post bypass. Also at 4 weeks post op you should be fine to take tablets so long as you are on semi solid foods and managing OK, unless your medical team has advised you otherwise.

If bypass - don't take nurofen in any form. All NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) are strictly forbidden post bypass. Also at 4 weeks post op you should be fine to take tablets so long as you are on semi solid foods and managing OK, unless your medical team has advised you otherwise.
Hi thanks for the advice, it was bypass, i was'nt given any info regarding Nsaid's but did think about the absorption of them and stomach ulcers, i am on semi solids and coping fine so will have the paracetomol in tablet form. Many thanks again xxx

No problem. Also stay away from aspirin. If painkillers aren't strong enough go for codeine based things. i have found though that paracetemol gets me through pretty much anything these days, and that stronger codeine meds make me all itchy lol.

Strange that - I asked Mr Slater on Wednesday of it was ok to take things like Iboprofen and Rennies after Bypass and he said yes! Might be worth having a word with Velia at St Richards Vics? She's the woman with all the knowledge!!

Thats what i was going to say.
Its cos you could develop ulcers in the old part of the stomach, which an endoscope would not be able to get to, because its stapled off now. I wouldnt take the risk. x

Back